The Coffee Lake Story: Intel Core i7-8700K and Core i5-8400 Review
SYSmark, WebXPRT, 7-zip
- 7-zip Compression
- Audacity MP3 Encode
- Cinebench R15
- Euler 3D
- SiSoft Sandra
- SYSmark 2014 SE
- X264 Encode
The full testbed configuration is listed below.
|Test System Setup|
|CPU||Intel Core i7-8700K
Intel Core i5-8400
Intel Core i9-7980XE
Intel Core i9-7960X
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920X
Intel Core i9-7900X
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
Intel Core i7-7700K
Intel Core i5-7600K
Intel Core i7-6700K
Intel Core i7-6950X
Intel Core i7-6900K
Intel Core i7-6800K
|Motherboard||ASUS STRIX Z370-E Gaming (Coffee Lake)
ASUS X399 Zenith Extreme (Threadripper)
ASUS Prime X299-Deluxe (Skylake-X)
ASUS Crosshair VI Hero (Ryzen)
ASUS Prime Z270-A (Kaby Lake, Skylake)
ASUS X99-Deluxe II (Broadwell-E)
|Memory||32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200 (Running at DDR4-2400 in all configurations)|
|Storage||Corsair Neutron XTi 480 SSD|
|Graphics Card||NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB|
|Graphics Drivers||NVIDIA 378.49|
|Power Supply||Corsair RM1000x|
|Operating System||Windows 10 Pro x64|
SYSmark 2014 SE
SYSmark® 2014 SE (Second Edition) is an application-based benchmark that reflects usage patterns of business users in the areas of Office Productivity, Data/Financial Analysis and Media Creation. Joining these in SYSmark 2014 SE is a new Responsiveness scenario which models ‘pain points’ in the user experience when performing common activities. SYSmark 2014 SE features the most popular applications from each of their respective fields.
The 8700K has an outstanding showing in SYSmark 2014 SE with a score beat only by the 16-core and 18-core Skylake-X parts released last month. It comes in 11% faster than the 7700K and 28% faster than the Ryzen 7 1800X. Even the Core i5-8400 does well with a score of 1365, matching the Ryzen 7 and Threadripper parts. From a power consumption stand point, the 8700K and 8400 use less power than the 7700K as they are able to complete some of the workloads quicker.
It runs these four tests seven times each:
- Photo Enhancement: Measures the time to apply three effects (Sharpen, Emboss, and Glow) to two photos each, a set of six photos total.
- Organize Album: Measures the time it takes to check for human faces in a set of five photos.
- Stocks Option Pricing: Measures the time to calculate financial indicators of a stock based on historical data and display the result in a dashboard.
- Local Notes: Measures the time to store notes securely in the browser's local storage and display recent entries.
- Sales Graphs: Measures the time to calculate and display multiple views of sales data.
- Explore DNA Sequencing: Measures the time it takes to filter eight DNA sequences for specific characteristics.
The Core i7-8700K is 9% faster than the Core i7-7700K and the Core i5-8400 comes surprisingly close to matching the Kaby Lake CPU as well.
The new 8700K generates the best single, double and quadruple threaded 7zip scores we have measured here at PC Perspective, quite a feat! Clearly the new Coffee Lake chips combining clock speed improvements with higher core counts is resulting in impressive results. Comparing the 6-core 8700K to the 8-core Ryzen 7 1800X, the Intel processor has the edge.