Notebook Bags by Crumpler - A Review
What the heck is a Skivvy anyway and what does that have to do with a bag? For those who don't know (don't be embarrassed if you don't!), *skivvy* is slang for underwear. Yep. That's right; Crumpler has named this bag underwear. So let me ask you this, do you wear your underwear on the inside or on the outside?
The Skivvy comes in three different sizes (small for a 12" notebook, medium for 14" or a compact 15", and large for 15" and slim 17"), and a wide variety of colours. Between the three sizes, you can choose from 5 to 7 different colour coordinations to suit your personality. The medium sized Skivvy we have here today comes in 5 schemes, red being the one we received.
The Asus Z96J I use regularly is a beefy 15.4" notebook similar to a Dell Inspiron or an HP Pavilion. Though the Skivvy is advertised to accommodate a 15" notebook, and The Skivvy barely fit the Z96J. It was very snug leaving no slack for any accessories inside the main compartment. A 15" standard 4:3 aspect notebook would probably be fine in this bag, but not 15.4" which are more popular these days.
It should accommodate slimmer 15" notebooks like a MacBook Pro or a Sony VAIO, and it handled my 14.1" Compaq with no problems. Regardless of which notebook you put into the Skivvy, there isn't much room for other items. I guess with a name like "Skivvy" you'll be carrying just the bare essentials.
The Asus Z96J barely fits into the medium Skiivy.
The Skivvy has a simple compartment design with no pockets or zippers aside from the one for the outer-most compartment. Very basic design for someone looking to travel light and quickly.
Skivvy Specifications (from the Crumpler website)
- Compact padded laptop sleeve tailored for 14 & 15" laptops and a few accessories.
- Water resistant 900D Nylon shell & 420D Ripstop Nylon lining
- Padded laptop compartment
- Large external gusseted zip pocket
- Adjustable & removable main strap
- Carry handle
- Velcro release flap
- Fits most 14 & 15" laptops (14" or compact 15" laptop, also fits 13" & 15" MacBook Pro, power supply and mouse)
- It's also a versatile equipment bag due its 'tennis ball' seam, easily masking the shape of bulky objects carried within
- 35 x 34 x 7cm / 14" x 13.5" x 2.5"
- vol 4 litres
- Laptop size: 32.5x30x5cm / 12.8x11.8x2"