EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3 Power Supply Review
Introduction and Features
EVGA offers one of the most complete lines of PC power supplies on the market today and they are continually striving to improve their product offerings. The new Supernova G3 Series power supplies are based on EVGA’s popular G2 series but now come in a smaller chassis measuring only 150mm (5.9”) deep. The G3 Series also uses a 130mm cooling fan with a hydraulic dynamic bearing for quiet operation and EVGA claims the new G3 units offer even better performance than the G2 models. The Supernova G3 Series is now available in five different models ranging from 550W up to 1000W. We will be taking a detailed look at the Supernova 850W G3 power supply in this review.
• EVGA SuperNOVA 550W G3 ($99.99 USD)
• EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G3 ($109.99 USD)
• EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G3 ($129.99 USD)
• EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3 ($149.99 USD)
• EVGA SuperNOVA 1000W G3 ($169.99 USD)
The Supernova G3 series power supplies are 80 Plus Gold certified for high efficiency and feature all modular cables, high-quality Japanese brand capacitors, and EVGA’s ECO Intelligent Thermal Control System which enables fan-less operation at low to mid power. All G3 series power supplies are NVIDIA SLI and AMD Crossfire Ready and are backed by either a 7-year (550W and 650W) or 10-year (750W, 850W and 1000W) EVGA warranty.
EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3 PSU Key Features:
• 850W Continuous DC output at up to 50°C
• 10-Year warranty with unparalleled EVGA Customer Support
• 80 PLUS Gold certified, with up to 90%/92% efficiency (115VAC/240VAC)
• Highest quality Japanese brand capacitors ensure long-term reliability
• Fully modular cables to reduce clutter and improve airflow
• Quiet 130mm hydraulic dynamic bearing fan for long life
• ECO Intelligent Thermal Control allows silent, fan-less operation at low power
• NVIDIA SLI & AMD Crossfire Ready
• Active Power Factor correction (0.99) with Universal AC input
• Heavy-duty protections: OVP, UVP, OCP, OPP, SCP, and OTP
Here is what EVGA has to say about the new Supernova G3 power supplies: “EVGA SuperNOVA power supplies are well known for their extreme efficiency, performance and reliability. In fact, over the last 3 years EVGA SuperNOVA power supplies have won over 70 awards from leading review sites. It is EVGA’s dedication to performance that has created the latest power supply platform; the EVGA SuperNOVA G3 Series. With these new power supplies, we take the best features from our award winning G2 lineup and make them even better. A smaller size, improved performance and a new Hydraulic Dynamic Bearing fan giving you ultra-quiet performance and an increased lifespan.”
EVGA was founded in 1999 with headquarters in Brea, California. They continue to specialize in producing NVIDIA based graphics adapters and Intel based motherboards and keep expanding their PC power supply product line, which includes over forty models ranging from the high-end 1,600W SuperNOVA T2 to the budget minded EVGA 400W power supply.
(Courtesy of EVGA)
The table above lists five of the nine EVGA 850W power supplies. Prices range from $109.99 USD for the 850W GQ up to $149.99 USD for the 850W G3 and 850W G2L.