SilverStone SFX 650W Gold Power Supply Review
Final Thoughts and Conclusions
SilverStone’s new SX650-G power supply brings 650 watts of combined DC output to the small form factor market in a very compact chassis. Its most obvious feature is its small size, but the PSU also incorporates many of the features found in enthusiast-grade ATX power supplies (very good voltage regulation, good efficiency, relatively low AC ripple, and modular flat ribbon style cables).
The SX650-G power supply delivered 650W of combined DC load with very good voltage regulation and good efficiency (meeting the 80 Plus Gold requirements) during our tests. AC ripple and noise suppression was also very good. At low to mid-power the power supply is quiet thanks to a high-quality 92mm fan with a Fluid Dynamic Bearing. At high power however, the fan noise becomes very noticeable.
SilverStone’s SX650-G power supply is fully modular and comes with seven relatively short ribbon style cables intended for use in small form factor cases. If you find one or more cables are too short for your particular build, SilverStone offers full-size modular cables (PP05-L) that can be purchased separately.
The only thing we found a little disappointing about the SX650-G power supply is the 3-year warranty. SilverStone offers a 5-year warranty on some of their other premium PSUs but unfortunately the SX650-G is not one of them.
The MSRPs for the two new SilverStone SX-Gold power supplies are:
• SX500-G $99.99 USD
• SX650-G $129.99 USD
• 650W Continuous DC output in a compact SFX form factor chassis
• 80 Plus Gold efficiency
• Very good voltage regulation (±2% on the three main outputs)
• Very good AC ripple and noise suppression
• 92mm Fan with Fluid Dynamic Bearing (FDB)
• Relatively quiet at low to mid-power levels
• All Japanese made capacitors
• All modular cables, flat ribbon style
• Single +12V output can deliver up to 54.2A/650W
• Four PCI-E connectors (6+2 pin)
• Active PFC with universal AC input
• 3-Year warranty
• Fan noise becomes very noticeable at high power levels
• 85°C Electrolytic capacitors versus 105°C
• SFX niche-market commands premium prices
SilverStone SFX 650W Gold Power Supply
Our thanks to SilverStone for sending us the SX650-G PSU to review!