NZXT HALE90 850W Power Supply Review
Introduction and Features
NZXT recently released five power supplies in their new HALE90 Series, with output capacities of 550W, 650W, 750W, 850W and 1,000W. This new lineup was built from the ground up specifically for gamers and other power hungry enthusiasts. All of the HALE90 units are 80Plus Gold certified, which means they should deliver top efficiency (at least 87% efficient between 20% and 100% load and 90% efficient at 50% load). The HALE90 850W PSU we have up for review comes with a full compliment of modular cables, a quiet 140mm fan, includes universal AC input with Active PFC and is backed by NZXT's 5-year warranty. And as you will note in the following photograph, the HALE series PSUs feature a bright white chassis with black fan guard and connectors for a fresh new look.
NZXT HALE90 850W PSU Key Features:
• 80+ Gold certified: Ultra high efficiency, at 20%, 50% and 100% loads, efficiencies are 87%, 90% and 87% respectively.
• Single 140mm two ball-bearing fan operates with minimal noise even at full load (20 dB for wattages between 550-750W and 30 dB for 850W and above).
• Strong single rail design: provides stability and ease of use along with stable and clean current delivery under heavy loads.
• Modular cable design: allows the user to pick and choose which cables they want to use, optimizing cable management and airflow. Flat cables allow for easier routing and bending inside the PC chassis.
• Hybrid LLC resonant topology circuitry allows the HALE series to create highly efficient power supplies ranging from 550W to 1,000W.
• Full range, universal AC input allows operation from 100 -250 VAC with Active PFC.
• 100% Japanese capacitors and high quality components for longer life and better reliability.
• Latest CPU support for all the latest Intel and AMD CPUs like Corei7, i5, AMD Phenom II X4, and X3.
• Latest GPU support, ideal for the latest DX11 GPUs and comes with both 8-pin and 6+2 pin PCI-E connectors.
• Large tower chassis support: The HALE series have extended 8-pin CPU connectors for wire management in large cases that have the PSU mounted at the bottom.
• Compliance with ATX12V v2.2, EPS12V v2.91 and SSI EPS12V v2.92
• Environmentally Responsible: Consuming less than 1W during shut off status, complies with the newest EuP (Energy Using Products) requirements and USA Energy Star standards.
• Safety: The HALE series offers OV, OC, OP, UV, and short circuit protection.
• Warranty: 5-Years
PSU Testing Methodology
Establishing an accurate load is critical to testing and evaluating a PC power supply. PCPerspective’s power supply test bench can place a precise 2,000 watt DC load on the PSU under test. Each power supply is tested under controlled, real-world conditions up to its maximum rated load, using both 115 VAC and 240 VAC line voltage. Our current suite of tests includes:
• DC Load Regulation
• DC Line Regulation
• DC Cross-load (unbalanced load)
• AC Ripple and Noise
• Power Factor
• Differential Temperature
The NZXT HALE90 850W power supply was evaluated on both features and performance. A full range of equipment was used to test the power supply under controlled load conditions.
• (2) CSI3710A Programmable DC load (+3.3V and +5V outputs)
• (4) CSI3711A Programmable DC load (+12V1, +12V2, +12V3, and +12V4)
• (2) 200W Precision resistor load bank (+12V5 and +12V6)
• Switchable precision resistor load bank (-12V and +5VSB)
• Extech MultiMaster MM570 digital multimeter (Accuracy ±0.02%)
• Extech 380803 Power Analyzer (Accuracy ±0.5% of full scale)
• DS1M12 "StingRay" digital oscilloscope (20M S/s with 12 Bit ADC)
• Powerstat Variable Autotransformer, 1.4 KVA, 0-140 VAC
• Extech Model 407738 digital sound level meter (Accuracy ±1.5 dB)
• Custom PC60 enclosure to simulate real-world operating conditions