EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2 and 850G2 Gold Power Supply Review
Introduction and Features
Back in March, EVGA announced the pending arrival of two new power supplies in their popular SuperNOVA line, the 750G2 and 850G2. Both new power supplies are 80Plus Gold certified and feature all modular cables, high-quality Japanese brand capacitors, a single high-power +12V rail, and a 140mm dual ball bearing cooling fan (with the ability to operate in silent, fan-less mode at low power levels). The 750G2 and 850G2 are also backed by a 10-year warranty (with registration). And last but not least, many PC PSU enthusiasts will be happy to know the new 750G2 and 850G2 are built on the successful Superflower Leadex Gold platform. Superflower is the same OEM that EVGA uses for several of their popular higher output, premium power supplies!
EVGA was founded in 1999 with headquarters in Brea, California. They continue to specialize in producing NVIDIA based graphics adapters and Intel based motherboards and keep expanding their PC power supply product line, which now includes fourteen models ranging from the high-end 1,500W NEX1500 Classified to the budget minded EVGA 430W power supply.
(Courtesy of EVGA)
In this review we will be taking a detailed look at both the EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2 and 850G2 power supplies.
Here is what EVGA has to say about the new SuperNOVA G2 Gold PSUs: “Unleash the next generation in power with the EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 and 750G2 Power Supplies. Based on the award winning G2 series Power Supplies from EVGA, these PSUs features 80 PLUS Gold rated efficiency, and clean, continuous power to every component. This provides improved efficiency for longer operation, less power consumption, reduced energy costs and minimal heat dissipation. The new ECO Thermal Control Fan System offers fan modes to provide zero fan noise during low load operations. Backed by a 10 year warranty and Japanese capacitor design, the EVGA SuperNOVA G2 is not only the right choice for your system today, it is also the best choice for your system tomorrow."
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 and 750 G2 Gold PSU Key Features:
• 10-Year Warranty and unparalleled EVGA Customer Support
• 80PLUS Gold certified, with up to 90% efficiency under typical loads
• Tight voltage regulation (2%), stable power with low AC ripple and noise
• Highest quality Japanese brand capacitors ensure long-term reliability
• Fully modular cables to reduce clutter and improve airflow
• Quiet dual-ball bearing fan for exceptional reliability and quiet operation
• ECO Intelligent Thermal Control allows silent, fan-less operation at low power
• NVIDIA SLI and AMD Crossfire Ready
• Intel 4th Generation CPU Ready (Haswell, C6/C7 sleep modes)
• Compliance with ErP Lot 6 2013 Requirement
• Active Power Factor correction (0.99) with Universal AC input
• Heavy-duty Protections: OVP, UVP, OCP, OPP, and SCP
• MSRP for the 750 G2 PSU : $129.99 USD (119.99 after mail-in rebate)
• MSRP for the 850 G2 PSU : $159.99 USD ($149.99 after mail-in rebate)
Establishing an accurate load is critical to testing and evaluating a PC power supply. PCPerspective’s power supply test bench can place a precise DC load on the PSU under test. Each power supply is tested under controlled, real-world conditions up to its maximum rated load (at 40ºC), using both 115 VAC and 240 VAC line voltage. Our current suite of tests includes:
• DC Load Regulation
• AC Ripple and Noise
• Differential Temperature
The EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 and 850 G2 Gold power supplies were evaluated on both features and performance. A full range of equipment was used to test the power supply under controlled load conditions.
• (2) CSI3710A Programmable DC load (+3.3V and +5V outputs)
• (4) CSI3711A Programmable DC load (+12V1, +12V2, +12V3, and +12V4)
• (2) 200W Precision resistor load bank (+12V5 and +12V6)
• Switchable precision resistor load bank (-12V and +5VSB)
• Agilent 34401A digital multimeter (Accuracy ±0.0035% vDC)
• Extech 380803 Power Analyzer (Accuracy ±0.5% of full scale)
• DS1M12 "StingRay" digital oscilloscope (20M S/s with 12 Bit ADC)
• Powerstat Variable Autotransformer, 1.4 KVA, 0-140 VAC
• Extech Model 407738 digital sound level meter (Accuracy ±1.5 dB)