Corsair TX950W Power Supply Review
Introduction and Features
Corsair Memory continues to expand their PC power supply offering with the addition of a 950W model to the popular TX Series. With a combined focus on pricing and performance, Corsair’s TX Series is designed to deliver stable voltages, high efficiency and quiet operation for value conscious users who are looking for a PSU in the 650W, 750W, 850W or 950W range. The TX Series features all hardwired cables while Corsair's HX Series features modular cables.
All four Corsair TX Series power supplies feature a single, powerful +12V rail, energy efficient circuitry, and a large 140mm (120mm on TX650W) diameter, temperature controlled fan for quiet operation. The TX950W power supply supports multi-core CPUs and multiple high-end graphic cards. And Corsair continues to back all of their power supplies with a 5-year warranty.
Here is what Corsair has to say about the new TX950W PSU: "The TX Series is Corsair's best price-performance range of power supplies, designed to meet the exacting standards and performance needs of demanding gamers. TX Series power supplies are ideal for gamers and performance enthusiasts who require an affordable, high-wattage, reliable and highly efficient PSU for their home or gaming PCs.
Corsair TX power supplies are built using industrial grade electrical components, ensuring the stable, clean and reliable voltages that are essential for high-end gaming PCs and workstations. TX Series power supplies are rigorously tested at 100% load and an ambient temperature of 50°C, guaranteeing stability and reliability even in the most demanding, multi-core, multi-GPU systems.
The Corsair Professional Series TX950W PSU meets the 80Plus Bronze standard, which guarantees more than 82% energy efficiency, reducing wasted energy and lowering the amount of excess heat generated. The Corsair TX950W is designed for high-performance, multi-core, multi-graphics gaming PCs. It features a massive 78A single +12V rail (936 watts, or 99% of the total wattage), which is essential for reliably powering multiple graphic cards, and includes six PCI-Express connectors."
Corsair CMPSU-950TX PSU Key Features:
• 950 watts continuous power output
• Guaranteed to sustain full rated wattage at an ambient temperature of 50°C
• Up to 85% energy efficiency under real-world load conditions
• Supports ATX12V v2.2 standard and EPS12V 2.91 standards
• Backwards compatible with ATX12V 2.01
• Single +12V rail design providing up to 78A (936W)
• Multi-core CPU and multi-GPU ready
• High quality 140mm variable speed fan
• Active PFC with auto-switching Universal AC line input
• High quality Japanese capacitors for uncompromised performance and reliability
• 105°C Solid polymer capacitors
• Over current/Voltage/Power Protection, Under Voltage Protection, and Short Circuit Protection
• Dimensions: 150mm (W) x 86mm (H) x 160mm (L)
• MTBF: 100,000 Hours
• 5-Year warranty and legendary Corsair customer service
Packaging and Parts
The Corsair TX950W power supply arrived securely packed inside a colorfully printed black and yellow box showcasing the unit’s features and specifications. The power supply is protected by thick foam inserts and wrapped in a fancy black felt bag with the Corsair logo.
In addition to the power supply the box also contains a power cord, mounting screws, wire ties, Corsair case badge, two 4-pin FDD power adapters, and a multi-language User’s Manual.
Establishing an accurate load is critical to testing and evaluating a PC power supply. PCPerspective’s power supply test bench can place a precise 2,000 watt DC load on the PSU under test. Each power supply is tested under controlled, real-world conditions up to its maximum rated load (at 40ºC), using both 115 VAC and 240 VAC line voltage. Our current suite of tests includes:
• DC Load Regulation
• DC Line Regulation
• DC Cross-load (unbalanced load)
• AC Ripple and Noise
• Power Factor
• Differential Temperature
The Corsair TX950W power supply was evaluated on both features and performance. A full range of equipment was used to test the power supply under controlled load conditions.
• (2) CSI3710A Programmable DC load (+3.3V and +5V outputs)
• (4) CSI3711A Programmable DC load (+12V1, +12V2, +12V3, and +12V4)
• Extech MultiMaster MM570 digital multimeter (Accuracy ±0.02%)
• Extech 380803 Power Analyzer (Accuracy ±0.5% of full scale)
• Hitachi V-650F 60 MHz dual trace oscilloscope (Accuracy ±3%)
• Powerstat Variable Autotransformer, 1.4 KVA, 0-140 VAC
• Extech Model 407738 digital sound level meter (Accuracy ±1.5 dB)
• Custom PC60 enclosure to simulate real-world operating conditions