Corsair RMx Series 850W Power Supply Review
Introduction and Features
The Corsair RMx Series currently includes five models: 1000W, 850W, 750W, 650W and 550W. And the 850W model is available in either standard black or special white. The RMx series is very similar to Corsair’s RMi series but with the advantage of lower cost due eliminating the digital Corsair Link interface and staying with 80 Plus Gold level efficiency. Like previous versions, all of the RMx Series power supplies are designed by Corsair and built by Channel Well Technologies (CWT). We will be taking a detailed look at the RM850x PSU (standard black) in this review.
The RMx Series power supplies are equipped with fully modular cables and optimized for very quiet operation. RMx Series power supplies incorporate Zero RPM Fan Mode, which means the fan does not start spinning until the power supply reaches a moderate load. The cooling fan is designed to deliver low noise and high static pressure.
The Corsair RMx Series is built with high-quality components, including all Japanese made electrolytic capacitors, and Corsair guarantees these PSUs to deliver clean, stable, continuous power, at ambient temperatures up to 50°C. And last but not least, the RMx series comes backed by a 10-year warranty.
Corsair RM850x PSU Features summary:
• 850W continuous DC output (up to 50°C)
• 10-Year Warranty and Comprehensive Customer Support
• 80 PLUS Gold certified, at least 90% efficiency under 50% load
• Fully modular cables for easy installation
• Flat ribbon-style, low profile cables help optimize airflow
• Zero RPM Fan Mode for silent operation up to 40% load
• Quiet NR135L fan for long life and quiet operation
• High quality components including all Japanese electrolytic capacitors
• Active Power Factor correction (0.99) with Universal AC input
• Safety Protections : OCP, OVP, UVP, SCP, OTP, and OPP
• MSRP for the RM850x (black): $159.99 USD
Here is what Corsair has to say about the RMx Series:
“Corsair RMx series power supplies give you extremely tight voltage control, quiet operation, Gold-certified efficiency, and a fully modular cables set. Built with all Japanese 105°C capacitors, they’re a great choice for high performance PCs where reliability is essential!
80 PLUS Gold efficiency reduces operating cost and excess heat, and Zero RPM fan mode ensures virtual silence at low and medium loads. And the fully modular DC cables make builds and upgrades easy, with clean, great-looking results.”