Corsair HX Series 850W Platinum Power Supply Review
Final Thoughts and Conclusions
It’s always a pleasure to test a Corsair power supply as they rarely disappoint and typically come with a good assortment of cables and connectors to hook up our test equipment. The HX850 delivered excellent voltage regulation across the board and AC ripple and noise suppression was also excellent; particularly the +12V outputs. And the power supply easily exceeded the criteria for 80 Plus Platinum efficiency certification, even while operating on 120 VAC and at elevated temperatures.
The HX Series power supplies are all fully modular. The build quality is very good and Japanese made capacitors rated at 105°C are used throughout. The cooling fan is also high-quality and uses a Fluid Dynamic Bearing (FDB) for long life and quiet operation. The power supply starts out silent as the fan doesn’t start spinning until you hit about 40% load thanks to Corsair’s ZeroRPM fanless mode. Once spinning, the fan stays relatively quiet over most of the remaining output range and only became really noticeable at full load. And last but not least, Corsair is backing the HX850 with a 10-year warranty.
It’s hard to find anything not to like about the HX850 but while the daisy-chained PCI-E connectors will most likely serve the majority of users very well, we would prefer to see at least a couple dedicated connectors on single cables.
And don’t forget, Corsair offers essentially the same four HX models in their HXi Series, which includes the Corsair Link digital interface for software based monitoring and control.
The MSRP for the Corsair HX and HXi Platinum Series power supplies are as follows:
• HX750 $129.99 USD
• HX850 $159.99 USD
• HX1000 $199.99 USD
• HX1200 $229.99 USD
• HX750i $179.99 USD
• HX850i $199.99 USD
• HX1000i $239.99 USD
• HX1200i $269.99 USD
• 850W of Continuous DC output at up to 50°C
• Excellent voltage regulation (±2%) on the three primary outputs
• 80 PLUS Platinum certified, with 90% efficiency at real world loads
• Very clean DC outputs (low AC ripple and noise)
• All capacitors are Japanese brand, 105°C rated
• ZeroRPM mode for fan-less operation at low power (below 40% load)
• Quiet 135mm cooling fan with Fluid Dynamic Bearing (FDB)
• Switch allows selecting either Single or Multiple Rail +12V outputs
• Fully modular cable set
• Full suite of protection circuits: OVP, UVP, SCP, OPP and OTP
• Active PFC with full range AC input (100-240 VAC)
• 10-Year warranty
• No dedicated PCI-E connectors on a single cable
Corsair HX850 Platinum Power Supply
Our thanks to Corsair for sending us the HX850 PSU to review – thank you!