Corsair AX1200i Digital ATX 1200W Power Supply Review
Final Thoughts and Conclusions
Finally; something new and innovative in the PC power supply market! Corsair’s new smart PSU, the AX1200i Digital, incorporates an imbedded DSP, which when used with the Corsair Link software allows the end user to monitor and adjust several power supply parameters like performance, noise (fan speed), and Over Current Protection (OCP) settings. And many other Corsair products also support the Link technology (SSD, memory modules, water cooling, case fans, lighting subsystems, GPU Nodes for monitoring PCI-E current loads, etc.) so you can build a state-of-the-art, high-end gaming system with a built in DACS (Data Acquisition and Control System)!
The Corsair AX1200i Digital ATX power supply delivers very clean DC outputs, with excellent voltage regulation and efficiency. Under light loads the AX1200i runs in silent, fanless mode (up to ~30% load) and continues to be relatively quiet under normal operating conditions. The AX1200i Digital comes with an excellent assortment of all-modular cables that can support the latest CPUs and multiple, high-end video cards. And let’s not forget the built-in self-diagnostic test feature, active PFC, universal AC input and Corsair’s 7-year warranty!
The only minor issues we had were with the Corsair Link USB dongle drivers; the AX1200i Digital PSU worked perfectly. We found out the hard way that the necessary drivers are not supported by Win XP and there appears to some sort of compatibility issue with X79 based motherboards under Win7. Corsair is looking into this and hopefully they will resolve any issues in the next release of Corsair Link software. The latest version of Corsair Link software can be downloaded from the Corsair website.
The Corsair AX1200i Digital power supply MSRP is $349.99 USD but due to high demand it is currently selling for $379.99 USD (newegg.com August 2012).
• Smart PSU incorporates Digital Signal Processor (DSP)
• Corsair Link software allows monitoring and adjusting PSU parameters
• Up to 1,200W DC output, rated at 50°C
• Excellent efficiency (80Plus Platinum certified)
• Very stable voltages with excellent voltage regulation
• Very clean DC outputs with low AC ripple
• Silent during low power operation (below ~30% output)
• Very good build quality with high quality components
• Built-in self-diagnostic test feature
• Single +12V output up to 100A (can be reconfigured to multi-rail)
• Six PCI-E connectors for multiple graphic card support
• Two EPS connectors for dual CPU support
• Universal AC input with Active PFC
• Backed by a 7-year warranty
• Corsair Link Dashboard software still needs work (beta v2.0.16)
• Corsair Link USB dongle not supported in Win XP (Vista or Win7 please)
Corsair AX1200i Digital ATX Power Supply
I would like to thank our friends at Corsair for sending us the new AX1200i Digital PSU to review – thank you and keep up the good work!