HP Announces World's Thinnest Laptop - The Spectre 13.3
Subject: Systems, Mobile | April 6, 2016 - 10:01 AM | Sebastian Peak
Tagged: ultrabook, thinnest laptop, Spectre 13.3, notebook, laptop, Intel Core i7, Intel Core i5, hp
HP announced their thinnest notebook ever - and "the world's thinnest laptop" period, according to HP - yesterday with the new Spectre 13.3.
The 10.4 mm thick HP Spectre 13.3 (Image credit: Engadget)
It's an astonishingly thin design, with a "CNC machined aluminum chassis as thin as an AAA-battery at just 10.4 mm", and yet it manages to avoid using Core M (or even mobile SoC) parts, opting instead for full Intel Core i5 and Core i7 mobile processors.
(Image credit: Anandtech)
Here's a list of the Spectre 13.3's features from HP:
- A carbon fiber bottom creates a thin profile that is both durable and lightweight, keeping the total weight of the notebook at just 2.45 pounds
- High gloss copper accents reflect a hand-polished, jewelry-like finish and an innovative hidden piston hinge creates the illusion of a hinge-less design to offer an unmatched premium look-and-feel
- An innovative hybrid battery split into two thinner pieces delivers the same wattage as a single battery for up to 9 and half hours of battery life while enabling the world's thinnest laptop
- Full HD IPS edge-to-edge display featuring Corning Gorilla delivers a superb viewing experience for editing photos, perfecting a presentation, or watching a movie.
- 6th generation Intel Core i5 and i7 processors and a lightning fast PCIe SSD with storage up to 512 GB with up to 8 GB of memory for maximum performance. Integration of Intel hyperbaric cooling system keeps the machine running cool even with powerful processors in a small package
- Stereo speakers by Bang & Olufsen with HP Audio Boost technology, a combination of hardware and software to give customers the depth they want.
- Three full function USB Type-C connectors, including two of which support Thunderbolt, to provide a fast, versatile I/O connection.
The hyperbaric cooling system (Image credit: Anandtech)
Note the mention of "Integration of Intel hyperbaric cooling system..." in the above list. We first saw hyperbaric cooling back in 2010 with products like the Dell Vostro V130, and the system is based on pulling cool air from outside of the enclosure, rather than simply pushing it out.
A look inside the Spectre 13.3 (Image credit: PC World)
With the use of regular laptop processors inside an enclosure as thin as this new Spectre 13.3 cooling will be crucial, though (as speculated by Anandtech in their post) actual clock speeds for the processors may have been lowered significantly due on thermal restrictions.
What exactly are the specifications for the Spectre 13.3? Here's what we know (via Anandtech):
- CPU: Intel Core i5-6200U or Intel Core i7-6500U
- Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 520
- RAM: 8 GB
- Storage: 256 GB or 512 GB PCIe SSD
- I/O: 3x USB 3.1 Type-C, 2x Thunderbolt, audio jack
- Thickness: 10.4 mm (0.41 inches)
- Weight: 1.10 kg (2.45 lbs)
- Pricing (256 GB SSD): Core i5, $1170; Core i7, $1250
Exact specs on memory standard/speed, Wi-Fi, etc. were not available, and availability has not been announced.