Dell Releases Redesigned XPS 15 Laptop with InfinityEdge Display

Subject: Systems, Mobile | October 8, 2015 - 10:05 AM |
Tagged: dell, XPS 15, InfinityEdge, laptop, notebook, Skylake, i3-6100H, i5-6300HQ, i7-6700HQ, GTX 960M

The redesigned Dell XPS 15 is here, now a larger clone of the popular XPS 13 including the same minuscule “InfinityEdge” display and featuring optional 4K resolution.

Image credit: Engadget

The XPS 13 is among the highest-rated Windows laptops of the past year, and the preferred notebook of our own Ryan Shrout. Dell certainly had a big design win with a 13-inch screen on a laptop that would normally only house an 11.6-inch display, thanks to the razor-thin bezel surrounding the LCD panel. This InfinityEdge display makes a lot of sense for the larger XPS 15, and the newly redesigned notebook now occupies the space of a mere 14-inch notebook, while offering both FHD and UHD/4K screen resolutions.

What good would a beautiful screen be without the horsepower to drive it? For this Dell has implemented the latest 6th Generation Intel Skylake mobile processors, namely the Core i3-6100H, Core i5-6300HQ, and Core i7-6700HQ. Graphics duties are performed either by the integrated Intel HD 530 or an NVIDIA GTX 960M GPU, and 8GB of DDR4 memory comes standard with options up to 32GB available (and this is SoDIMM memory so users can upgrade later as well).

Image credit: Windows Central

Specifications:

• Processor:
    • 6th Gen Intel Core i3-6100H (3M Cache, up to 2.7 GHz)
    • 6th Gen Intel Core i5-6300HQ Quad-Core (6M Cache, up to 3.2 GHz)
    • 6th Gen Intel Core i7-6700HQ Quad-Core (6M Cache, up to 3.5 GHz)
  • Display: 15.6" FHD (1920x1080) InfinityEdge display or 15.6" UltraSharp 4K Ultra HD (3840x2160) InfinityEdge touch display
  • RAM: 8GB, 16GB or 32GB DDR4 at 2133 MHz (32GB post-RTS) (2 x SoDIMMs)
  • Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 530; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 2GB GDDR5
  • Storage: 500GB HDD + 32GB Flash or 1TB HDD + 32GB Flash
  • 256GB PCIe SSD, 512GB PCIe SSD, or 1TB PCIe SSD
  • Camera: Widescreen HD (720p) webcam
  • Ports and Connectors: HDMI, USB 3.0 (x2), Headset Jack, SD card reader, Kensington Lock slot, Thunderbolt 3
  • Dimensions: 11-17mm x 357mm x 235mm
  • Weight: Non-touch, starting at 3.9 lbs; Touch, starting at 4.4 lbs

The new Dell XPS 15 is available today and prices start at $999.

October 8, 2015 | 10:19 AM - Posted by Luthair

If you look at the specs on the Dell site the 4k version comes with a monster battery (50% larger). I wonder if it lasts longer or if driving the display really uses that much more than the 1080 screen.

October 8, 2015 | 11:26 AM - Posted by Bogative (not verified)

Well that makes my decision much harder. I don't care about touch and when I was looking to buy the 13" it was an easy decision because of battery life but if they are similar in time, it makes it MUCH harder to choose. I think I am happy I waited for the 15 though.

October 8, 2015 | 11:34 AM - Posted by Bogative (not verified)

Just FYI from engadget:

Battery life is rated at up to 17 hours, but that's if you get a model with the 1,920 x 1,080 display, SSD and the larger 84WHr battery (instead of the 56WHr option). Even with a tricked-out 4K configuration, though, Dell is promising around 11 hours on a charge.

I think at 8-10 hours for the 4k (realworld my guess) that might be my pic

October 8, 2015 | 07:12 PM - Posted by Luthair

Hmm, the battery doesn't appear to be configurable and AFAICT the 84-whr battery is only available on the 4k models and the most expensive model w/ 1080p & 512gb ssd

October 11, 2015 | 08:27 PM - Posted by ajoy39

You can find the 1080p version with the 84whr battery on Dell's website http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-15-9550-laptop/pd?oc=dncwx1630h&model_id=xp...

October 8, 2015 | 11:53 AM - Posted by kent1146

I own one of the Dell XPS 13's, and it's an absolutely fantastic design (weight, size, screen, keyboard, and especially battery life).

To think that a Dell XPS 15 can use roughly the same design, and also cram an nVidia 960M in there, is ludicrously awesome. Makes me wish I could "upgrade" to that model.

Whoever buys this Dell XPS 15 will probably be a very happy camper (or, gaming-hobbyist road warrior to be more accurate)

October 18, 2015 | 02:13 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Agree...a great choice.

October 9, 2015 | 04:51 AM - Posted by Ultramar

Thanks for the heads-up Sebastian.
When can we expect reviews of the 13 and 15 inch models? I know Ryan must be itching to get his hands on them...

October 9, 2015 | 01:00 PM - Posted by Alex Hackney (not verified)

I was so close to buying the Surface Pro Book this is exactly the laptop I wanted.

I do programming and produce video on the road.

This will let me do some edits and export on the fly.

And it has thunderbolt, spot on, what I needed.

The price is pretty good too.

October 18, 2015 | 02:11 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I have some money coming...want the 17 hr battery life model in 1080p / Core i5
This one seriously nice laptop for the money.

October 18, 2015 | 02:12 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Does it have USB-C ?

October 18, 2015 | 02:14 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Lappies like these are beating Apple IMO.

November 27, 2015 | 01:40 PM - Posted by CEby (not verified)

I've see great reviews of the Dell XPS (2015) 15 but I've also seen some negative comments (on Amazon) about this computer concerning issues with WiFi, the display, etc. Are there any substantial issues with this new model? I'd like to purchase it but am kind of worried until I find out more what users think.