Samsung Promises Another Fix for 840 EVO Slow Down Issue

Subject: Storage | February 20, 2015 - 06:21 PM |
Tagged: tlc, ssd, Samsung, 840 evo

Some of you may have been following our coverage of the Samsung 840 EVO slow down issue. We first reported on this issue last September, and Samsung issued a fix a couple of months later. This tool was effective in bringing EVOs back up to speed, but some started reporting their drives were still slowing down. Since our January follow up, we have been coordinating with Samsung on a possible fix. We actually sent one of our samples off to them for analysis, and have just received this statement:

In October, Samsung released a tool to address a slowdown in 840 EVO Sequential Read speeds reported by a small number of users after not using their drive for an extended period of time. This tool effectively and immediately returned the drive’s performance to normal levels. We understand that some users are experiencing the slowdown again. While we continue to look into the issue, Samsung will release an updated version of the Samsung SSD Magician software in March that will include a performance restoration tool.

A look at the reduced read speeds of stale data on an 840 EVO which had the original fix applied. Unpatched drives were slowing much further (50-100 MB/s).

So it appears that Samsung is still looking into the issue, but will update their Magician software to periodically refresh stale data until they can work out a more permanent fix that would correct all affected 840 EVOs. We have not heard anything about the other TLC models which have been reported to see this same sort of slow down, but we will keep you posted as this situation develops further.

February 20, 2015 | 06:45 PM - Posted by Topinio

Hmm. The 840 EVO I'm typing this on is unaffected by the post-patch slowdowns, but then it's never powered off for long and every sector on the drive is read once a week for the backup...

Next drives will be back to Intel, though (unless someone else puts proper power-loss protection including for in-flight data into a reasonably-priced model).

February 20, 2015 | 07:01 PM - Posted by Andre (not verified)

Is there any fix for dual boot (Linux, Windows) systems?

February 20, 2015 | 09:36 PM - Posted by Rick (not verified)

You can download a bootable ISO.

February 25, 2015 | 10:19 AM - Posted by P0ci (not verified)

Live CDs are for testing, I dont think anyone wants to run 24/7 and wait for your dvd drive to read everything and take 10 sec to open a browser window. Unless your running something like puppy that boots from CD and runs in RAM.

February 25, 2015 | 10:18 AM - Posted by P0ci (not verified)

What issue? Hmm havent installed any distros since I got my EVO. Just running winbloze for gaming. Was running dual boot before on a mech HDD.

See Ryan, you wont let me in forum and im getting out of date!!! I should know about this :(

February 20, 2015 | 07:46 PM - Posted by Blake mcBlake (not verified)

After not using their drives? It's my boot drive for gods sake. I'd rather not keep risking the content of my hard drive with these "patches" come up with a fix or replace my hard drive with an 850evo. 400.00 for a glorified HDD

February 20, 2015 | 08:34 PM - Posted by Master Chen (not verified)

Nobody cares, Samsung. Seriously. Absolutely. Completely. No one.
People get godlike MX100/MX200, Plextor M5/M6, Toshiba THNSNH, ADATA Premier Pro SP and simply forget about your crap.

February 21, 2015 | 12:21 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

The 840 Evo has been one of the most popular SSDs out there since its launch. Plenty of people care.
By the way, when you use the word "godlike" as often as you do, it loses its meaning. Please invest in a thesaurus.

February 21, 2015 | 05:52 AM - Posted by Master Chen (not verified)

Sheeple.

February 21, 2015 | 06:22 PM - Posted by Sheeple (not verified)

Ten thousand years we have slumbered. Now we rise!

February 22, 2015 | 06:23 AM - Posted by Master Chen (not verified)

T.Hanks for laughs.

February 21, 2015 | 05:24 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

You're stupid. The 840 evo was a excellent SSD when it launched and still is if you can get it for cheaper than the launch price.

February 22, 2015 | 06:24 AM - Posted by Master Chen (not verified)

Cry more, stupid sheep.

February 22, 2015 | 04:46 PM - Posted by Master of What? BS? (not verified)

You seem to be especially butt-hurt about Samsung drives for some reason.

February 21, 2015 | 05:24 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

February 22, 2015 | 06:25 AM - Posted by Master Chen (not verified)

Your marketing victim tears are sooo delishuuuuusss...

February 23, 2015 | 07:43 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Moron

February 23, 2015 | 04:34 PM - Posted by PleaseNotMicron (not verified)

MX100/MX200 is moving the wrong direction. If you don't understand why you have no business offering SSD recommendations.

February 20, 2015 | 09:37 PM - Posted by Rick (not verified)

I'll test my raid 0 250gb evos later tonight to see how they are performing. Without running the benches I was guess they're running normal.

February 21, 2015 | 03:07 AM - Posted by JohnGR

What a huge pile of.....

Samsung. When you make a statement, try not to treat your customers like delusional and low intelligent sheep. It was never a small number of users, and it affected drives that where in every day usage. Go and multiply yourself.

Anyway it seems that they just throw restoration tool in Magician because in the end maybe the restoration tool did the whole work, not so much the firmware. It's just less embarrassing to post a new firmware for an SSD, which is typical, than a type of tool that looks like a defragmentation program that just moves all the data on the drive in different locations to renew the data.

February 21, 2015 | 03:22 AM - Posted by j0hndoe
"We will have not heard.."

Typo?

February 21, 2015 | 12:35 PM - Posted by Ryan Shrout

Fixed, thanks!

February 21, 2015 | 07:05 AM - Posted by Aurhinius (not verified)

"In October, Samsung released a tool to address a slowdown in 840 EVO Sequential Read speeds reported by a small number of users after not using their drive for an extended period of time."

A small number of users perhaps that bothered to check their drive performance. The average user wouldn't notice or doesn't care enough to notice.

It wasn't a select few drives that have the problem it was every 840 EVO drive hence the firmware fix attempt.

It wasn't "not using the drive" it was not refreshing the data on the drive on a regular basis which would be anyone using it as a OS drive not constantly reinstalling!

Quite clearly the problems are on going. Thanks for keeping on their heels PCPER because they would sweep this under the carpet otherwise.

I wonder how long it takes before they advise everyone to upgrade to their later products.

Serious though I hope you e-mailed them back correcting the wording of their highly erroneous statement about the situation!

February 21, 2015 | 08:06 AM - Posted by Branthog

Or maybe they'll keep releasing things that don't actually permanently solve the problem until they've delayed a complete solution long enough that all the 840s are out of warranty.

February 21, 2015 | 08:29 AM - Posted by The_Icon (not verified)

Luckily I am not affected by this after the last patch and firmware.

February 21, 2015 | 02:00 PM - Posted by Master Chen (not verified)

You've been infected by this since the day-one, because you bought this crap to begin with.

February 22, 2015 | 10:21 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Trolling a tech thread... priceless!

February 21, 2015 | 07:26 PM - Posted by Bob Wilker (not verified)

Just used the speed reader test and got 392 MBps

February 21, 2015 | 09:34 PM - Posted by Mav'Erik

I am an 840 Evo (500GB) user, it's my boot drive & holds essentially all my day-to-day programs and data. Though I have plenty of other storage available on HDDs, I've had room available on the SSD so just haven't used them. I believe there are thousands of users like me who were blindsided by this slowdown issue.

I'm dismayed that it has not actually been fixed, but not surprised. If they really knew why this was happening I expect they would have provided an actual explanation with the last fix instead of just saying "this will fix it" and having it rewrite the drive.

Though my next SSD will likely be MLC or SLC because of this, I'm reluctant (and not easily able) to spend another $200+ to replace it, plus the time/effort spent changing over. So, yes: this is a big deal. Samsung needs to take it seriously. If it's not repairable they need to own up; it will come out eventually.

February 22, 2015 | 02:53 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

That NSA backdoor firmware is slowing the Evo down :D

February 22, 2015 | 07:45 AM - Posted by tolou (not verified)

Allyn, have you reflected on the fact that average read speed was down about 50 MB/s for old files when you filled the drive with new files up to 90% capacity? This was covered in the last article with screenshots before and after.
What do you speculate the reason for this would be?

February 25, 2015 | 01:51 PM - Posted by Allyn Malventano

The amount filled was not relevant. Stale data pre-update slowed to 50-100 MB/sec, while 840 EVOs that are still slowing post-update seem to level out at 250 MB/sec. It appears Samsung tweaked the algorithm that handles cell drift to recover more gracefully (higher speeds), but for some drives, the drift is not compensated for well enough to completely prevent the slow down (which is what the firmware / restoration tool was supposed to accomplish).

February 26, 2015 | 04:10 AM - Posted by tolou (not verified)

I meant the decrease of about 50MB/s as in 250 to 200. Look at the charts and compare the section of stale data before and after the drive operations.

February 23, 2015 | 01:52 PM - Posted by Ferb (not verified)

Any thoughts of whether the 850 EVO will have these issues?

February 25, 2015 | 01:52 PM - Posted by Allyn Malventano

850 EVOs use a completely different flash technology and that launch appeared to be delayed because of the 840 EVO issues, presumably so that Samsung could verify they would not have a repeat of these issues on that new line.

March 2, 2015 | 01:25 PM - Posted by Ferb (not verified)

thanks

February 23, 2015 | 04:13 PM - Posted by PhoneyVirus

It's because of Samsung's stupid SSD 840 EVO that the Far Cry 3 Map currently working on has major shutter problems, there was noting wrong when it the last time I was working on it. Soon as it's loaded, it feel like I'm trying to play it off a Radeon 9600 XT VGA Graphics Card Really! Done with ASUS, Corsair and Samsung products 4 Life! March is when we can expect a fix yet again along with a Performance Restoration tool in Samsung's Magician Software.

PhoneyVirus

February 23, 2015 | 08:49 PM - Posted by Jason (not verified)

Samsung bricked my 850 Pro with the firmware upgrade they issued this morning and the rep said they pulled the update immediately but i ran the update before they pulled it. They offered to replace it with a refurbished drive but the rep stated they have had problems with some of the refurbed drives. Wow i wont ever buy a samsung ssd again. I have always had Intel SSD drives and decided to go with Samsung because off the reviews...what a mistakes.

February 24, 2015 | 12:07 PM - Posted by lantian (not verified)

wanted to let you all know that there seems to be quite a lot of people who 850 pro's just died during last firmware update

February 25, 2015 | 09:48 AM - Posted by Matt (not verified)

Good to hear that there is movement from Samsung I have 2 affected 500GB drives.

February 26, 2015 | 04:46 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Unacceptable. The 840 EVO has problems that even 4-6 months of Samsung research can't fully address. Time for replacement of this flawed drive to a technology which Samsung will stand behind.

February 27, 2015 | 04:45 AM - Posted by Engell (not verified)

Getting to the point where i am considering doing a return to Samsung based on defects trough my retailer. In the EU i can do this up to 2 years after, if i can prove that the item had a defect from the start. This should be no problem in this case.

Also sounds like what they are talking about here is not fixing the problem at all, but sounds like they will have their software standing in the background using cycles and lifespan of the drive, to fake that its working.. I am severely disappointed :(

February 27, 2015 | 09:30 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I have 5 I want to return them to Samsung and get something else, anyone know how to return them? where to go. we should do a class action lawsuit :)

March 18, 2015 | 06:10 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I want to know what's happening here too. It seems to have gone quiet, are Samsung just going to brush this issue under the table? I ran SSDReadSpeedTester and got 30 MB/s! This is not acceptable, I want either a fix or a refund!

March 11, 2015 | 04:11 PM - Posted by DrWattsOn

Posting 1:10PM Pac Dlt Time
I have an 840 Pro and an 850 Pro and now I have held off on even hooking them up because Samsung has been dishonest in the way they address this problem. They should have admitted they screwed up and done the honest, moral, and LEGAL thing of "making us whole". Although the frustration and turmoil and wasted time has no legal fix, not to mention possible data corruption which has not yet been reported, the world needs to see them punished by both the marketplace and the courts. We need to infiltrate Samsung and publish exactly what mistakes were made and WHO made them. Some so called engineers and their supervisors should be identified and forced to flip burgers or clean bathrooms for a living, just to protect us from their incompetence and especially their dishonesty.
I agree: class action lawsuit, because of their lying CYA behavior.

March 24, 2015 | 09:55 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I was about to buy a Samsung 840 evo for a new boot drive for my pc but reading all of these comments on the alleged firmware problems has made me wonder if the 850 evo or maybe something else altogether would be a better choice.

March 26, 2015 | 10:02 AM - Posted by Wrend

Yes, with the 850 EVOs out, I'd say there's no real reason to get an 840 EVO now.

I just put a 1TB 850 EVO in my new laptop. Hope all goes well with it down the road.

I'm still using a 500GB 840 EVO in my wife's laptop and a 1TB 840 EVO in my main home PC and don't have plans on replacing them, so obviously I'd also like a long term solution for the issues this type of SSD has.

March 27, 2015 | 05:43 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

alleged?

March 30, 2015 | 10:22 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

"While we continue to look into the issue, Samsung will release an updated version of the Samsung SSD Magician software in March that will include a performance restoration tool."

It's March 30, and nothing but the sound of crickets. One more day to live up to their word... Word which, even if lived up to, would still leave non-Windows users high and dry...

March 31, 2015 | 05:13 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Any news on the fix?
it's april already here on old continent,

hope not not to get 1st april - fools day joke from samsung instead of an fix :(

April 9, 2015 | 11:35 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

We are almost at mid April.

Do we have any more news on this or when Samsung will post the fix?

I will NEVER be buying another Samsung SSD!

April 13, 2015 | 01:28 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

850 EVO 500GB is not doing any better. I bought one from Amazon and it turned out to be slower than the 840 EVO I already have. I found this extremely disappointing.

September 11, 2015 | 01:14 PM - Posted by mxthunder

Still no fix for this? No more Samsung products for me.