Samsung Magician 4.6 and 840 EVO Firmware Released - Downloads Throttled

Subject: Storage | April 23, 2015 - 02:21 PM |
Tagged: TurboWrite, tlc, ssd, slc, Samsung, 840 evo

For those who watched last night's podcast live, I predicted that Samsung would be posting their 840 EVO Firmware and new Magician 4.6 software 'soon'. Turns out that 'soon' was actually this morning, but there's a catch - Samsung decided to limit the daily downloads:

If you went to the Samsung SSD Download Page and got the above error, don't fret, there are a few mirrors out there:

I downloaded from these three sources and at the time of this posting can confirm all three are identical to the Magician 4.6 download available from Samsung.

Once installed, you *should* be able to use Magician to update the firmware on your 840 EVO and (hopefully) see its performance come back to where it should be. There have been some reports of users unable to update, but that appears to be Samsung's servers being hammered and Magician's default / timeout is to report that you are on the latest firmware. Restarting Magician may force it to re-check and get the update.

Linux and Mac users are not yet able to update as the ISO updater has not been released for the new firmware. Those capable can update their Linux or Mac 840 EVOs connected as a secondary drive under Windows with Magician 4.6 installed. Also, if you're running Linux and happen use fstrim during boot, read this post prior to updating.

Source: Samsung

April 23, 2015 | 03:55 PM - Posted by Patrik (not verified)

To late for me, I gave my 840 EVO to a frind. He runs Linux Mint and after reading that post I will hold off on this update until I know its safe to apply on linux machines.

My parents still has an 840 500Gb that is slow, 30Mb/sec before I formated it last and still no fix for it!

No more Samsung SSD's for me EVER!

April 29, 2015 | 12:10 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Dont do it, the 850 evo is still good and teh 840 pro and 850 pro.

April 23, 2015 | 05:24 PM - Posted by Randy (not verified)

I downloaded magician 4.6 but i can't update the firmware even after closing magician.

April 23, 2015 | 05:33 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

April 23, 2015 | 07:04 PM - Posted by Allyn Malventano

I'm sure their servers are getting hammered. Give it some time.

April 25, 2015 | 06:02 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

still not showing new firmware is available....

April 23, 2015 | 06:08 PM - Posted by brucek2

Have you reached out to Samsung for a justification of this download limit?

Its hard to believe its a bandwidth constraint.

Does that leave them wanting to use an artificially small group of initial users as a kind of beta? And if so what does that imply about the state of this software?

April 23, 2015 | 07:08 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I have to agree. Why restrict the number of downloads from the webpage? The actual download file for the Magician Software is relatively small.

Then to further prevent users from obtaining the firmware, they have disabled the ability to update the firmware from within Magician 4.6 even if a user is somehow able to download the software. I am very disappointing in not only the fact that there is an issue to begin with, but also with the fact that Samsung is implementing some sort of download limit that truthfully probably has absolutely zero to do with bandwidth or their servers.

April 24, 2015 | 08:33 AM - Posted by frag85 (not verified)

I installed this fix a couple hours ago, but several friends since then have not been able to download from Samsung, so I uploaded my copy or then directed them here after finding this article, and now they can't seem to connect and download the firmware... Makes you think, doesn't it?

April 25, 2015 | 05:26 AM - Posted by Paul A. (not verified)

If, by some mischance, this update happens to brick some or all of the drives, then limiting the initial download rate will mean that Samsung find out early before it has to replace too many units. If everyone updates all at once then Samsung runs a bigger risk. Its not because Samsung has any particular reason to think this is likely, but it would be dumb not to take precautions in an area that can cause huge damage.

Google does exactly the same thing with Android updates, except its in a better place to control them because the Android installation cooperates with the servers in deciding whether its time to update itself.

April 25, 2015 | 07:35 AM - Posted by brucek2

I understand. I'd see nothing unusual with the practice if it was applied to updates that Samsung managed itself (like the Android example you mentioned), or to software that was labelled as pre-release.

What struck me as unusual is denying release-level software to proactive customers who feel they need it and then blaming the reason on a bogus bandwidth limitation (* I'm not actually clear if the bandwidth rationale was explicitly stated by Samsung, or just by this article.)

April 23, 2015 | 06:49 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Thanks to this total Samsung fiasco I've replaced my 840 EVO with a reliable SSD. The EVO is now the most expensive backup drive I've ever owned. (And yes, I know using it as a backup is just asking for it because a lot of data will become old and slow)

April 23, 2015 | 07:05 PM - Posted by Allyn Malventano

This may sound funny, but you're use case is probably the best justification to update to the new firmware (once it's reliably available that is).

April 23, 2015 | 09:57 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

It's worse than that...I use the drive on a Mac, so I have to wait longer for that updater!

By the way, thanks for all your analysis and reporting on this issue. Watching you and Patrick Norton on TWICH right now!

April 24, 2015 | 03:23 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I recommend updating the firmware and doing a "secure erase", and then put your data/OS back on. I bet that would help.

April 24, 2015 | 03:46 PM - Posted by Anony-mouse (not verified)

Agreed. "Secure Erase" should set the SSD performance back to "new/out of the box" state. It's a simple ATA command that is sent to the SSD, which then executes the command. I bet it won't take more than 2 - 3 minutes to re-init the SSD.

July 2, 2015 | 01:52 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I'm not so sure, I believe secure erase on these encrypted drives may just wipe out the AES key. To restore performance you need to overwrite the data.

April 23, 2015 | 07:34 PM - Posted by aspencer80 (not verified)

I installed the new Magician and it says my firmware version EXT0CB6Q is the latest firmware version available.
I don't see the option to install the new EXT0DB6Q version anywhere.
I guess I'll keep checking on it. Lame.

April 24, 2015 | 03:42 PM - Posted by Anony-mouse (not verified)

I notice that on the Samsung SSD Downloads web page that the version offered is EXT0BB6Q. Are the EXT0CB6Q and EXT0DB6Q firmware Beta/experimental?

April 23, 2015 | 08:37 PM - Posted by A.M. (not verified)

This just makes me feel like like Samsung doesn't have full faith in this fix, and to tell you the truth i'm starting to feel the same.

April 24, 2015 | 12:35 AM - Posted by Randy (not verified)

So i can finally update the firmware but when i try to it says "failed to update firmware on selected drive". Keeps happening over and over. I installed magician again and still nothing.

April 24, 2015 | 10:43 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I'm also getting that "failed to update firmware on selected drive" error.........why?

April 25, 2015 | 02:53 PM - Posted by Mark_GB

Maybe this explains why it is no longer available to download?

If that is the case, Samsung was very smart!

April 24, 2015 | 02:07 AM - Posted by Rob (not verified)

I downloaded the new Samsung Magician software and updated to the new firmware with no issues. I'm getting excellent read and write benchmarks. I hope this performance sticks! :)

April 24, 2015 | 10:05 AM - Posted by Sloth (not verified)

That fstrim error doesn't look like it's "only at boot", it looks like fstrimming the entire drive whacks the drive, so running the fstrim *at all* is the problem.

Frankly, that firmware sounds like it has real issues, if issuing a legal set of commands causes it to lose it's mind.

April 25, 2015 | 08:10 AM - Posted by Sloth (not verified)

Yep, they disabled manual trim on Windows as well?

They call this a "fix"? Sounds rushed and buggy.

April 25, 2015 | 02:53 PM - Posted by Mark_GB

Read these comments and wonder why? LOL

April 28, 2015 | 12:28 PM - Posted by Allyn Malventano

I just checked this out myself. They disabled the simple TRIM operation under Magician, but it does work with the native Windows defrag utility 'Optimize' function.

April 24, 2015 | 03:38 PM - Posted by Anony-mouse (not verified)

Major Geeks is setup just fine for having TONS of people DL from them. You can easily get the SW there. Do them a favor and (after downloading) find an ad for something you might really be interested in and click on it. Note: I am unconnected with MG, but I did just DL the Magician 4.6 from them.

April 28, 2015 | 12:29 PM - Posted by Allyn Malventano

They were mirroring the installer, but the firmware file itself was also being throttled at the time.

April 24, 2015 | 09:21 PM - Posted by Randy (not verified)

I downloaded magician 4.6 from the samsung site and then tried to update the firmware from witthin magician but it still fails.

April 25, 2015 | 02:55 PM - Posted by Mark_GB

It does not fail. Samsung has clearly removed the D version update.

Of course, if you want to install an update they felt needed to be pulled, go for it.

April 24, 2015 | 11:16 PM - Posted by TechWatcher (not verified)

For those who download from locations other than Samsung, at this point in time, downloading from Samsung gave me the following checksums for

CRC32: 60367088
MD5: 9E280367506209149595E16190BD4EB9
SHA-1: 5CA33A4835717A973B2CB4640CF531841EC2D9D0

April 25, 2015 | 03:42 AM - Posted by nicgr (not verified)

I have amd chipset and long time ago I tried update the firmware and I couldn't. I read that amd users cant update through the Samsung magician software and I found the solution after searching, you need to uninstall your chipset drivers and try. Today I managed update the firm the way I described.

April 25, 2015 | 05:49 AM - Posted by vyom93 (not verified)

If anyone having problem updating firmware with AMD chipset change your drivers to MS standard AHCI drivers
This are the step for it :-
1. First open up your device manager and click on the word "View" at the top. From the dropdown menu choose view by connection type.

2. The navigate to the PCI Bus section just the same way as shown in the Samsung PDF file.

3. Right click on AMD SATA Controller and then click on Properties

4. Click on the Driver tab at the top of the new window. Then click Update Driver.

5. Now you want to click Browse my computer for Driver software

6. Now Click "Let me pick from a list of Device Drivers on my computer

7. Chose the Driver labeled Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller. This is the default driver installed with windows but is replaced by the AMD Chipset drivers when you install them.

8. Your computer will prompt you to restart and you should do so. When it reboots the Samsung software will work fine.

9. After running the Samsung software and allowing it to finish 100% You are free to revert back to the AMD Drivers in the same way only now you will select "Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller" from the Device Manager and revert that back to the AMD driver.

April 29, 2015 | 05:48 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Thank you, this was very helpful and solved the firmware update error -much clearer instructions than from Samsung. Had 3 computers to update so this was a big help on the last one (HTPC)

June 6, 2015 | 03:22 AM - Posted by SweChristian (not verified)

U are the king My friend !!!! Made account just to tell u that =p
World like à boss and Was easier Than u think.

Was à little rewind rethink at the update Sata controller.
U could add press this and press that in that line

April 25, 2015 | 02:07 PM - Posted by tony (not verified)

I installed Magician 4.6 but it still says I have the latest firmware. I hope this wasn't a waste of time.

April 25, 2015 | 03:05 PM - Posted by Mark_GB

Oh how clueless some people are.

Samsung QUIETLY posts the "D" update. No announcement. Just if you come a looking, you will find it. They also find a notice that says the number of downloads will be restricted until the 27th. Now you would think that this would tell those people a few things:

A) This is a beta that might be released to the general public, but Samsung wants to get a relatively small number of people to give them some feedback on this update. They don't tell these people that in so many words, but they know they will hear about any problems.
B) They will avoid having to replace 20 million SSD's if the update bricks the unit.

So a relatively few people managed to get the updated "D" firmware, and suddenly, Samsung rolls back the firmware to the "C" version.

What does that tell you?
How much do you want to bet that in a few days, there will be an "E" version?

Samsung looks like a very smart company right now.

April 26, 2015 | 10:28 AM - Posted by Jon Smith (not verified)

Hello all...

Sounds like things are rough for a great many of you, and I am wondering if I might be having issues that I have not identified yet. Never solicited help in looking for problems that I don't want to have, but these drives...Secure Erase works for some, others it's a no-go, for some performance, for others trim...can someone briefly describe what they see as the issue(s) for them because while my Samsung 840 EVO is wildly better than any mechanical drive, it isn't quite the humbling experience I expected either. I was an idiot (yes, the user confesses to being the culprit on this one item):
I enabled the e-Drive security feature. Now I did not perform a clean install, rather just put an image back using a bit-for-bit copy of a new install, but the copy was of an already installed Win 8.1 Pro x64 OS with all the features installed except the IIS, and still e-Drive activated. So the instructions are to contact the OS maker for help turning this e-Drive feature off...turns out you just need the SAMSUNG made PSID to do a PSID revert. This worked on all the drives (I have 9 of these puppies in various machines) EXCEPT one, where I get an error message about unable to parse. I have feeling it's related to the drive beinng an m.SATA and not a self-containned module (no idea why that would make difference, but it's the only outward difference, even the sizes are the same with same LBA count. Even before I committed this offense, I was unable to get Secure Erase to work.

So add those items up and then the weirdeest SSD's, all nine, including the m.SATA make a noise. Not loud, not even a bad noise, but exactly like having a mechanical HDD only without the spin up and down, just the sound of reads/writes. Now others hear this too. Why can I hear memory. This is more of a no moving parts, yet I know when the drive is writing and can tell you when a 12GB file is started copying and whe it finishes, by listening. Tell me what is up with audibe SSD?

Samsung says I am mistaking my fans for SSD I'm not, my fans spin up like most fans dok an still don't make servo motor sounds. Especially when I unplug them from MoBo, so...

Maybe I am having the less than optimal experience for various system quirks (using high end Toshiba units), or maybe nothing is wrong with my systems, but can someone compare? At the very least, do your 840 EVO's make a sound identical to read/writes when reading and writing?

Hope to hear other user's weird comparisons...

April 28, 2015 | 10:55 AM - Posted by Ramon (not verified)

With all the issues I have been reading on so many SSD manufacturers (especially Sandforce based units), am I glad I went with a Crucial M4 years ago! Still rocking 2 X 128GB in RAID0 and STILL pushing well over 900MB/sec sequential read, even at 70%+ capacity! Not a single issue in nearly 4 years now!

April 28, 2015 | 07:16 PM - Posted by Eric (not verified)

The article states that you can update the drive for a Mac, if you use the drive as a secondary one in Windows. How would one go about doing that? I have a Mac OS X drive, and a Windows 7 drive. If I go into Windows 7, I don't believe it would recognize the OS X drive since it's formatted for Mac. Or does this mean if I had a clean SSD? I don't want to erase everything on the SSD, and I would prefer not to clone it to another drive, update firmware, then clone it back. I've had write speed issues with my EVO since I bought it.