Love the NVMe, shame almost nobody can use it

Subject: Storage | May 20, 2015 - 02:48 PM |
Tagged: XP941, SSD 750, ssd, SM951, pcie, NVMe, MZVPV512HDGL, AHCI

For owners of Z97 or X99 boards with updated UEFIs or a rare SFF-8643 connector for the 2.5" version, booting from NVMe is possible, for the rest the Intel SSD 750 will have to be a storage drive.   Al recently looked at this more than impressive PCIe SSD and now [H]ard|OCP has had a bash at it.  The review is certainly worth checking out as some of their tests, especially the real world ones, differ from the benchmarks that Al used.  This will give you more information about how the new SSD will handle your workloads, research worth it if you are thinking of spending $1055 for the 1.2TB model.

"Intel is set to be the catalyst for a long-awaited leap forward in storage technology with the new SSD 750 bringing NVMe storage to client PCs for the first time, and turning the high end SSD space upside-down. We are expecting blinding IOPs and we dig in to find out what it can mean to the hardware enthusiast."

Here are some more Storage reviews from around the web:

Storage

Source: [H]ard|OCP

May 20, 2015 | 03:08 PM - Posted by YTech

Good to know.

However, how do you know if your Z97 or X99 motherboard UEFI update supports it? Not all manufacturer/brand update their UEFI the same way.

Is there a particular feature we have to look for?

May 20, 2015 | 04:51 PM - Posted by Jeremy Hellstrom

Check the notes on the update  ... for instance on the ASUS X99 Deluxe

Version 1601
Description     X99-DELUXE BIOS 1601
1. Support ASUS USB 3.1 PCIE add-on card
2. Support NVMe
3. Enhance TPM functionality
File Size     7.3 MBytesupdate

May 21, 2015 | 08:24 AM - Posted by YTech

Thanks. I noticed that when reviewing other motherboard brand BIOS updates. :)

Instead of updating immediately, I would wait until you're ready to use a NVMe device as some BIOS updates has been acting up due to such early releases -- that's if yours doesn't already support it.

May 20, 2015 | 03:37 PM - Posted by Kusanagi (not verified)

slight error: you text says it's a 1.2GB drive.

May 20, 2015 | 04:49 PM - Posted by Jeremy Hellstrom

Sorry, fixed that.

May 20, 2015 | 03:46 PM - Posted by Alpaone (not verified)

The Intel 750 boots Windows 8.1 fine using my ASUS Sabertooth Z77.

It shows as "PATA SS" in the UEFI. I unplugged all other SATA drives and booted my UEFI Win8.1 USB installer, installed Windows on the Intel 750 and it boots perfectly fine in UEFI mode.

May 20, 2015 | 03:58 PM - Posted by Goofus Maximus (not verified)

Is that "1.2 GB version" a typo?

May 20, 2015 | 04:52 PM - Posted by Jeremy Hellstrom

ya, i meant KB

May 21, 2015 | 01:39 AM - Posted by collie

hahahahahahahahah

May 20, 2015 | 06:52 PM - Posted by MRFS (not verified)

Jeremy, from an architectural point of view, could you compare this device with a compatible add-on RAID controller with support for the usual RAID modes? What happens to this device if one of its component flash chips fails? I admit my bias tilts me towards my past experiences with inexpensive RAID controllers in RAID 0 mode, for MAX SPEED. In your opinion, would it be safer overall to wait for x4 and x8 NVMe RAID controllers and to connect 2x, 4x or more 2.5" NVMe SSDs, in order to exploit the redundancy obtained by RAID arrays in modes 5 and 6? Thanks! MRFS

May 20, 2015 | 09:20 PM - Posted by Jeremy Hellstrom

Check Al's review and comments for more indepth that I can really give you.  That said there is orders of magnitude of difference in cost between the two solutions, you would have to desperately need this speed to justify the price.

May 22, 2015 | 09:57 PM - Posted by MRFS (not verified)

For others who are reading these Comments:

Intel SSD 750 Series 1.2TB PCIe and 2.5" SFF Review -
NVMe for the Consumer

by Allyn Malventano (4/2/2015)

May 20, 2015 | 08:02 PM - Posted by Troy Smith (not verified)

i doubt people with 5 yr old pc want storage that cost more then their entire computer. only the bleeding edge would want this drive.

May 21, 2015 | 01:44 AM - Posted by collie

this looks like a thing for rich people, and thats fine, hopefully in a few years we will all have c: drives like this, trickle down and all. To be fair, we were all saying the same thing about sata ssds once upon a time, AND 1tb spinning rust.

On a side note, I wonder if AMD's upcoming cpu/apus and accompanying chipsets will support this kinda drive.

May 21, 2015 | 11:28 PM - Posted by DaveSimonH

I went with a z97 motherboard in my build last year. Installed a 4670K in it, which would have been fine in a z87 board, but thought I may as well go with the z97. My BIOS is ready for a NVMe drive, although I'm not sure my wallet is.

May 26, 2015 | 01:26 AM - Posted by Shadowarez

Does this nvme work over any pci-e or is it proprietary like sata exspress? Or will it get its own port with v2 of nvme?