PC Perspective Workshop at Quakecon 2015 is Canceled

Subject: Shows and Expos | July 10, 2015 - 02:58 PM |
Tagged: workshop, QuakeCon 2015, quakecon

Hey everyone, Ryan here. I have some bad news to report this week: the 2015 edition of the PC Perspective Hardware Workshop at Quakecon is canceled. I apologize for late announcement, but we were trying diligently to figure out a way to make it happen as expected. That just didn't happen.

My wife gave birth to our first child, a baby girl named Emmaline, on June 27th. However, her original due date was August 18th. Based on that original due date, we had planned to host and operate the workshop at the 20th Quakecon as we normally have. However, on June 9th, my wife was admitted to the hospital with pre-eclampsia and placed on full-time hospital bed rest until the birth of the baby. Every day that we could keep Emma safely inside mom meant a lot fewer complications with pre-term birth, so that was our focus.

Regardless of our intent to make it to August, Emma had other ideas and she was born at 3:51am on June 27th. She was immediately carted off in an incubator to the NICU (neonatal intensive care unit) where she has remained ever since. Expected "go home" dates vary from day to day, but as of last week it was getting pretty close to the dates of Quakecon.

As you might imagine, my heart belongs here at home, with my wife and baby, as we try to carefully coax her into health as a preemie of nearly 8 weeks. Planning and finalizing the workshop and traveling to Dallas for one of the most fun weekends of my year just isn't possible this time.

Emmaline apologizes for messing up the workshop this year!!

Things are looking good for us, so I don't want to paint a dire picture here. Emmaline is growing, is off oxygen and IV fluids and taking bottles like a champ!

I also want to be sure everyone knows that the entire Quakecon staff has been great with me on this, understanding my need to cancel last minute and offering all the support they could. It's great to have people that care and we have already been invited back for next year - and that's our plan!

So, I apologize to all the fans and gamers of the PC Perspective Workshop and Quakecon. Hopefully you all understand the circumstances this time around. Thanks to all the sponsors of our event as well for being cool with my change of plans. Have a blast at Quakecon everyone, I'll see you next year!

- Ryan Shrout

July 10, 2015 | 03:03 PM - Posted by Klyde (not verified)

Congrats on the baby Ryan.

July 10, 2015 | 03:09 PM - Posted by Dallas (not verified)

Well No one would leave there family for just a few day event when your family is more important. Very understanable Ryan.

July 10, 2015 | 03:10 PM - Posted by Andrew (not verified)

Congratulations to you and your wife on the baby! My niece was born in the same situation and she's turned out fine.

July 10, 2015 | 03:13 PM - Posted by brisa117

All our support Ryan! Family comes first. Having said that, I expext even more graphics cards to be given away next year. Haha. But seriously, take care of the fam!

July 10, 2015 | 03:15 PM - Posted by Shambles (not verified)

Congratulations Ryan & wife!

My daughter just turned one and this past year has been amazing. Enjoy these moments because one day we'll be chasing off boys with bats. I hope Emma can make it home soon and that your wife is doing well.

July 10, 2015 | 03:17 PM - Posted by MrTnT (not verified)

Congrats on the lil girl Ryan, absolutely adorable! Family First!

July 10, 2015 | 03:17 PM - Posted by funandjam

You did the right thing, hope everything goes well with the little one. I know I would have done the same thing for my son.

July 10, 2015 | 03:28 PM - Posted by Rahul (not verified)

Congratulations Ryan!
My son was born 4 weeks early as well and we were in a similar situation with his bili count being too high. Everything turned out for the best - as it always does. Enjoy these precious weeks with your family :)

July 10, 2015 | 03:28 PM - Posted by Christopher Sands (not verified)

Ryan,

If anyone could possibly come with with ANY reason to fault you for this -- shame on them. Congrats to you and your wife on Emmaline and take some time to give them some extra TLC. You deserve some time off too, ya know? We'll see you next year!

Chris

July 10, 2015 | 03:29 PM - Posted by JC (not verified)

family comes first! my daughter was a preemie at 6 weeks early and i had to stay home for 6 months working nights and weekends (wife would care for her at night and the weekends) until she was able to go to daycare. she just turned 9 and you cant ever tell she was a premature baby. Praying for you and family!

July 10, 2015 | 03:34 PM - Posted by PapaDragon

Congrats Ryan! She very adorable, family first! No apologies needed Emmaline, keep Mommy and Daddy busy!

July 10, 2015 | 03:34 PM - Posted by Searching4Sasquatch (not verified)

That is just about the only good excuse you could have. :D

Congratulations!

July 10, 2015 | 03:37 PM - Posted by billb79

God bless you, the wife and Emmaline and we will pray for Emmaline to become a healthy, wise and good person like her father. Good choice on cancelling the Quakecon 2015 workshop. You will never regret that choice. I wish you and your family all the best Ryan...

Bill

July 10, 2015 | 03:39 PM - Posted by Pholostan

Glad to hear things are going well, best wishes and I hope the whole family can be home together soon :)

July 10, 2015 | 03:47 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Congratulations!! Completely understand your decision. Wish you, your child and wife all the health and hapiness you can wish for!!

July 10, 2015 | 03:53 PM - Posted by eamon (not verified)

Your family comes first Ryan, people can wait.

July 10, 2015 | 03:57 PM - Posted by NamelessTed

Congratulations on the baby girl!

July 10, 2015 | 04:04 PM - Posted by Anonymouse (not verified)

First of all man, there's no reason to cancel. That look on her face says it all: T R O O P E R!!

She'll make the trip there and back and still be as bright-eyed. That's the reason she's here early - don't you get it?? She didn't want to miss Quakecon or the launching of the Fury X (( she's a natural red, go easy on her :D )).

Jokes aside, congratulations!! And I wish you all the best going forward. Cant wait to see that sleepless zombie look on your face in the coming weeks/months.

You've chosen to give her an internet presence from the start. Shouldn't that be her decision?

Oh and BTW, why does she look like me? ;)

July 10, 2015 | 04:12 PM - Posted by JohnGR

Congrats. Best wishes.

July 10, 2015 | 04:15 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Good choice, family always first!

July 10, 2015 | 04:16 PM - Posted by Heath Coop (not verified)

Congratz on the new,addition.

July 10, 2015 | 04:20 PM - Posted by Dweeberly (not verified)

WHAT!!! You are putting your first born above QuakeCon? Clearly the stress has confused your priorities! ;-)

About 25 years ago, I was in the same situation. My daughter was born 7 weeks early and spend 3 weeks in the NICU. She seemed so tiny (~3lbs). Today she is a lovely woman of 25 working on her career. I'm sure you feel quite stressed, but even 25 years ago the NICUs (and the people in them) were amazing. I'm sure Emma will be home soon, eating from tiny bottles and filling tiny diapers. I remember how everything was 'downsized' for preemies. By eight months my daughter was all "caught up" and we took a picture we refer to as her Buddha picture. She was all plumped up an 'baby fatty' ... my daughter hates that picture but we were so proud to have fatted her up :-D

Take a deep breath and know that things are unfolding as they should and prepare for the long, sometimes strange, ride that is being a Dad.

July 10, 2015 | 04:20 PM - Posted by wileecyte (not verified)

Congratulations to you and your wife, Ryan. Totally understandable. Family first. We'll miss seeing y'all this year, but look forward to next year.

July 10, 2015 | 04:24 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Balderdash! You just can show your face as an nvidia fanboy after the excellent Fury reviews. Admit it!

Trolling of course. Looking forward to next year. Maybe Emmaline can tag along. Seems like she's on team red already with that outfit :)

July 10, 2015 | 04:28 PM - Posted by 0156 (not verified)

Wow, she looks like you!

July 10, 2015 | 04:34 PM - Posted by fsixtyfour

...congratulations and God Bless!.....

July 10, 2015 | 04:37 PM - Posted by ponytaj

Congrats.

July 10, 2015 | 04:47 PM - Posted by Stealthgyro

Headline, then thumbnail lead me to believe it was going to be a joke about calling us babies, then you had to go and have a legit reason why it's cancelled. All that being said congratulations! wish y'all well, probably see you next year.

July 10, 2015 | 05:02 PM - Posted by RoguePope (not verified)

We'll see you guys NEXT year.

Take care of what's important, we'll still be here when you get back!!!

July 10, 2015 | 05:12 PM - Posted by Juan Fco Ochoa Roman (not verified)

Congrats for your baby :P

July 10, 2015 | 05:46 PM - Posted by Prodeous

Like most of the comments here, family first, you did the right thing. Being a father myself I can't imagine going through what you had to at the beginning.

Keeping fingers crossed and all that, and as you mentioned she is getting better. And that is the most important.

Do keep us updated on her progress (if time permits).

July 10, 2015 | 05:51 PM - Posted by Lystfiskern (not verified)

:-D Congrats on fatherhood my man!

July 10, 2015 | 06:15 PM - Posted by johnc (not verified)

Congratulations!

July 10, 2015 | 06:28 PM - Posted by Alien0227

Congratulations to you Ryan and Mrs. Shrout! There's no doubt in my mind you'll make great Parents for Emmaline!

July 10, 2015 | 07:20 PM - Posted by Branthog

Congratulations and know that your little one's health will be on the minds of countless people out here. Take care of your family and see you again, next time around!

July 10, 2015 | 07:50 PM - Posted by J (not verified)

Best wishes to you and your family, Ryan.

July 10, 2015 | 08:03 PM - Posted by DaKrawnik

Do yo thing playa. And congrats on the new addition to your family.

July 11, 2015 | 05:03 PM - Posted by Branthog

Pretty sure he already did his thing. That's how he got to this point. :P

July 10, 2015 | 08:08 PM - Posted by Shortwave (not verified)

Much love to your family.
Enjoy the time off with them.
Get to know her early on. : )

July 10, 2015 | 08:10 PM - Posted by W1gum

congratz ryan

July 10, 2015 | 08:15 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I too am a first time dad and it the best feeling in the world wanting to take care of the family.

Spoil mum and bubs and all the best fortune and luck for the future!!

July 10, 2015 | 08:41 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Ryan God bless and prayers for your family. What a beautiful baby.! We will cut you a break this one time, but you are going to have to come up with a better story next time. LOL

July 10, 2015 | 08:41 PM - Posted by siriq

Congratz! Such a nice baby! All i wish, make sure your whole family is healthy and safe. Focus on your work later. Everybody back you up, so no need to worry, i am sure about this!

July 10, 2015 | 09:08 PM - Posted by [a2m] (not verified)

How are we to give you beer and get you to sign our yearbook if you're not showing up?!?! Oh well, there's always next year.

You will be in our thoughts.

WWWYKI,
-a2m

July 10, 2015 | 10:38 PM - Posted by tindo

Hope everything goes well Ryan, good to hear the baby is nearly back to "normal" health

July 10, 2015 | 10:40 PM - Posted by unlovedhomie

understandable , family first ryan. do what you have to . congrats to you and your family and take care.

July 10, 2015 | 11:18 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Congratulations to you and your wife!

July 11, 2015 | 12:19 AM - Posted by Kingkookaluke (not verified)

Congrats! She looks like that "she really wants to win that car!"-

July 11, 2015 | 12:53 AM - Posted by J Nev (not verified)

Congrats, however still waiting on that 390X review. Perhaps now that you have no Quakecon you have ample time to a) get the card and b) actually review it.

July 11, 2015 | 01:26 AM - Posted by Dark_wizzie

It's ok Ryan. We can hear about Morey cracking another die next year. ;)

July 11, 2015 | 01:48 AM - Posted by El_Tech_Gato (not verified)

Congratulations Ryan. She's beautiful!

July 11, 2015 | 02:35 AM - Posted by collie

She is the most beautiful. Let her live, let her be, let her be free, let her be. RAS SAY SO!

July 11, 2015 | 04:14 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Congrats! She's a lovely baby, too, give it your all as a dad! Family first, as it should be.

July 11, 2015 | 04:32 AM - Posted by Jeremy Comans (not verified)

Congrats too you both on the birth.
It seems silly that you need to apologize, but I'm sure our tech can wait for your family.
The best of health to you both as you nurture your very little one home. Hopefully it won't be too long.

July 11, 2015 | 06:58 AM - Posted by Neon

In a few years, Emmaline is going to be celebrating her birthday at QuakeCon. She is lucky indeed.

July 11, 2015 | 07:17 AM - Posted by Scott Coburn (not verified)

Congratulations Ryan. As a new parent, your priorities will change. For anyone ready to be a father, this is no choice at all. It's a given that you should be with your family. Regardless of the rough start, you'll find this is the wonderful thing you'll experience in your life.

July 11, 2015 | 07:30 AM - Posted by Joakim L (not verified)

Congratulations on the little girl Ryan!

July 11, 2015 | 08:51 AM - Posted by Rick0502 (not verified)

congrats on the baby! i got my first coming next month (boy).

July 11, 2015 | 09:56 AM - Posted by Robert Kisielewski (not verified)

congratulations, Ryan.
No biggie with the Quakecon
Keep up with great site and podcast !
and best of luck you ur new addition to PCPer familiy :)

July 11, 2015 | 03:18 PM - Posted by MRFS (not verified)

PROOF! Gorgeous parents gorgeous children make :)

MRFS

July 11, 2015 | 04:57 PM - Posted by Itoao

Congrats, she looks like a little trooper.

July 11, 2015 | 06:57 PM - Posted by MaxTheMighty

Congratulations Ryan! wish you all the best !

July 11, 2015 | 08:03 PM - Posted by Aliman (not verified)

You do not have to give us such long explanations. We understand. Thank you for that anyway. I hope to see you soon on other Quakecon or other event.

Albricias, Albricias.

July 11, 2015 | 10:38 PM - Posted by JCCIII

Dear Ryan, Emmaline is lovely and beautiful!

She is in my prays as are you all, thank you for sharing.

Sincerely, Joseph

11.07.2015, 1937

July 11, 2015 | 11:05 PM - Posted by Ernie Barrett (not verified)

I was just about to tweet @pcper, asking if yall will be there this year, then I remembered, you have a website, so I might want to check!!! LOL.

Congrats Man, that just mean more free stuff next year right? Right!

July 12, 2015 | 12:12 AM - Posted by whatname

Congrats! Trusting all is well.

July 12, 2015 | 03:44 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Congrats man! No meed to apologize, you have to do what you have to do, family first always..btw she looks like you :)

July 12, 2015 | 04:39 AM - Posted by DaveSimonH

Wishing you and your family all the best Ryan. Emmaline is adorable btw, hope you and your wife will be able to take her home soon.

July 12, 2015 | 08:31 AM - Posted by John Kidd (not verified)

Ryan, Family First look after your wife and daughter they need your love and support.

Hero's make the right decision

John

July 12, 2015 | 09:58 AM - Posted by Ddiver

very cute young lady Congratulations hope you are all home soon :)

July 12, 2015 | 04:58 PM - Posted by Goose_67a

Sure looks like the pcper community is all in favor of your decision. Congratulations to you and your wife on the arrival of your daughter. So many wonderful times ahead.

July 12, 2015 | 05:51 PM - Posted by AnthonyShea

I'm glad to hear about Emmaline doing well, and think anyone would understand why you want to remain at home. I doubt you could even focus well if you were here in texas, no less enjoy yourself. maybe I will try myself to be at next years, before I leave texas behind me.

July 12, 2015 | 06:33 PM - Posted by Gunbuster

Congrats and glad baby is doing well. Man the hospital is nerve racking. (My daughter is 12 weeks old)

July 13, 2015 | 12:24 AM - Posted by D1RTYD1Z619

Apology accepted. My first born was in the NICU as well so I know how that feels. All you can do is sit and wait and pray. I will pray for the health of your daughter and the strength a family needs at a time like that.
Best wishes and Godspeed to the health of the most glorious and precious gift that you will ever receive.

July 13, 2015 | 04:52 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

acer iconia a700 tablet charger
power adaptors for t5740e thin client

July 13, 2015 | 08:08 AM - Posted by Chad Gilmore (not verified)

Congrats Ryan!!

July 13, 2015 | 09:04 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Ryan,
good congratulations on your new baby!

July 13, 2015 | 10:05 AM - Posted by albert89 (not verified)

I'm normally criticising you on behalf of AMD but I'm breaking that protocol by wishing you and your wife the very best in the new arrival of your baby.

July 13, 2015 | 10:48 AM - Posted by onion uk (not verified)

the very best wishes to you & your family!

July 13, 2015 | 11:49 AM - Posted by Ibrian M (not verified)

I have a 1 year old girl and she is my world. I would have cancel any travels if i was in same boat as you. Congratulations she is beautiful.

July 13, 2015 | 12:42 PM - Posted by Branthog

Ryan,

When are we going to get benchmarks on this thing?

Regards.

July 13, 2015 | 03:46 PM - Posted by klatch

Congrats to you, Ryan. Glad to see the support and humour above.

July 13, 2015 | 08:09 PM - Posted by boot318

Glad your child is doing well! :)

July 15, 2015 | 12:37 AM - Posted by -- (not verified)

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

here is to 3 to 4 months of no sleep... don't worry it goes by fast, take shifts.

July 15, 2015 | 01:22 PM - Posted by CCC Zaphod (not verified)

Congratulations to you and your wife!

July 16, 2015 | 04:11 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

She's so good looking !
All the best man.

July 16, 2015 | 11:12 AM - Posted by blitzio

No worries Ryan, congrats and glad to hear everything is fine with the fam. Thanks for updating the community, we're happy for you.

July 16, 2015 | 03:32 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

congrats. hope everyone in the family is doing well.

July 17, 2015 | 12:16 AM - Posted by QUINTONQUILL

Congrats on the baby hope her and your wife have a speedy recovery and you get some well deserved time off :}

July 17, 2015 | 03:35 PM - Posted by SpeedyVV (not verified)

Wow, what a beautiful baby!!!!

Congrats to you and all your loved ones.

July 24, 2015 | 11:08 AM - Posted by Easy Meat (not verified)

What a beautiful baby! Congratulations!

I'm certainly going to miss my favorite Quakecon event this year, but you need to spend time with your wife and that precious new child. Hope to see you next year with the little one in tow!

Rodney