Report: Intel Core i7-6700K and i5-6600K Retail Box Photos and Pricing Leak

Subject: Processors | August 3, 2015 - 10:58 AM |
Tagged: Skylake, leak, Intel, i7-6700K, Core i7-6700K

Leaked photos of what appear to be the full retail box version of the upcoming Intel Core i7-6700K and i5-6600K "Skylake" unlocked CPU have appeared on imgur, making the release of these processors feel ever closer.

Is this really the new box graphic for the unlocked i7?

While the authenticity of these photos can't be verified through any official channel, they certainly do look real. We have heard of Skylake leaks - a.k.a. Skyleaks - for a while now, and the rumors point to an August release for these new LGA 1151 chips (sorry LGA 1150 motherboard owners!).

Looks real. But we do live in a Photoshop world...

We only have about four weeks to wait at the most if an August release is, in fact, imminent. If not, I blame Jeremy for getting our hopes up with terms like Skyleak™. I encourage you to direct all angry correspondence to his inbox.

These boxes are very colorful (or colourful, if you will)

Update: A new report has emerged with US retail pricing for the upcoming Skylake lineup. Here is the chart from WCCFTech:

Chart taken from WCCFTech

The pricing of the top i7 part at $316 would be a welcome reduction from the current $339 retail of the i7-4790K. Now whether the 6700K can beat out that Devil's Canyon part remains to be seen. Doubtless we will have benchmarks and complete coverage once any official release is made by Intel for these parts.

Source: imgur

August 3, 2015 | 11:40 AM - Posted by Heavy (not verified)

yeay! another 5-10% speed increase

August 3, 2015 | 12:23 PM - Posted by donut (not verified)

I'm on a Q6600 so this will be a 1000% upgrade for me.

Any word on price yet?

August 3, 2015 | 12:44 PM - Posted by unacomn (not verified)

High five my Q6600 sibling!

Price will probably be around the same as the current i7 4790K, meaning I'll have to save up for a long while to get one.

August 4, 2015 | 04:25 AM - Posted by Edmond (not verified)

The i5-6400 is the one to get. The more expensive ones are a waste of money for gaming.

August 4, 2015 | 12:56 PM - Posted by Rooster (not verified)

Honestly, I'd say the the i5-6500 would be worth the extra $9. When you can overclock, those precious extra megahertz will come in handy

August 3, 2015 | 12:30 PM - Posted by Sihastru

While it's true that IPC performance is incremental at best, the GPU performance skyrocketed with ~250%. AMD's APUs lost their last performance bastion, making them even more irrelevant.

August 3, 2015 | 08:39 PM - Posted by -- (not verified)

why? their APUs make very nice fast everyday machines, and they are great for HTPC builds. And for the prices they run you'd be crazy to pass it up for a budget gaming build.

August 4, 2015 | 12:29 PM - Posted by Heavy (not verified)

that makes no sense at all if your buying a 50-120$ cpu your not buying a 200-300$ cpu, and if your buying that 200-300$ cpu im pretty sure your going to buy a gpu

August 4, 2015 | 05:44 PM - Posted by Sihastru

You'd be surprised.

August 4, 2015 | 07:48 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Not the way you said it.

Not everyone has a 800 to 1000 gaming budget build, AMD chip prices are the best bang for your buck until the high end stuff.

There is no reason to pay intel 200 to 300 when amd has chips for 100.00+++ less that will perform the same or better.

the 860K is a fine example, and the FX line is plenty big with chips starting at 100.00 pair that up with a solid GPU and you just saved a nice hunk of change.

if you want the fastest of the fastest you go intel, if you want bang for your buck you go AMD... and lots of gamers are on a budget.

August 3, 2015 | 12:17 PM - Posted by Daniel Nielsen (not verified)

Looking forward to some reviews. I have a 4770K and there was no reason at all for me to get the 4790K. So im pretty interested in seeing the performance bump in 6700K if any.

August 3, 2015 | 01:12 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I'm still running an AMD Phenom II X6 1045T (what a name) so I'd really enjoy the upgrade of something like this. I'm planning on building a new silent black build with a Skylake processor and Windows 10 to boot. Not sure when that's going to happen, but soon, hopefully.

August 3, 2015 | 01:13 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

This mean we will get skylake motherboards with both DDR3 and DDR4 slots?

Some motherboards around 2009 came with both DDR2 and DDR3 support.

2 slots for DDR2 and 2 slots for DDR3.

August 3, 2015 | 02:32 PM - Posted by collie

I remember loads of G41 boards with both slots, mostly showing up in little mall custom shops, but it never seemed necessary to me. People rarely upgrade their RAM speed before they upgrade their CPU, if any thing they add more. If you want the most ram for your $ then get a board with DDR3 and max it out. If you want the cra-HAY-zee top parts you can get a board with DDR4 and 2 sticks of ram, then pack more in when the price drops a little. Seems to me that having both types on one board is a waste of space that could be room for more of what you have.

August 3, 2015 | 08:02 PM - Posted by BlackDove (not verified)

UniDIMM.

August 3, 2015 | 02:16 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Still using an Intel Core i7-2600K.... No need to upgrade yet. Graphics, memory, SSD and now Win10 with Directx12 make the difference.

August 3, 2015 | 02:16 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

August 3, 2015 | 02:20 PM - Posted by TeamShadowXGP

I would Love to see the full spec of i5 6600k & i7 6700k

August 3, 2015 | 02:34 PM - Posted by collie

Just noticed, there is a typo on the back of the box, it says " Intel® HD Graphics 530" instead of 5300

August 3, 2015 | 02:42 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Not saying this is not a photoshop, but Intel recently did a renaming scheme if the rumor is true.

August 3, 2015 | 02:43 PM - Posted by collie

didn't hear that yet, ok, still could go either way

August 3, 2015 | 02:55 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Will there be a difference in IGP performance when using DDR3L instead of DDR4?

I think it would be an interesting test.

When using external graphics cards gaming performance should be roughly the same, but when you are using integrated graphics dependent on system ram bandwidth.

August 3, 2015 | 06:37 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

There is going to be some difference, but it isn't going to push an IGP into dedicated card range. If you are actually going to use the gpu, it is almost always going to be better to get a cheap dedicated card. The only place where I would stick with an IGP is for a mobile system. For almost any desktop (not HTPC or SFF), I would always get a dedicated card. At some point, they will get enough memory on package (eDRAM, HBM, whatever) to get performance equivalent with a dedicated card, but we are not there yet.

August 3, 2015 | 03:25 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

they're definitely sku'd, although my eta is 10/1 for stock right now

August 3, 2015 | 03:25 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

The turbo frequency is quite low. A CPU core at 14 nm is so small, they may have thermal issues preventing them from running higher clocks. Will have to wait and see what over clockers can achieve with water cooling.

August 3, 2015 | 05:53 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

OC performance on the new Broadwell processors has them capping out at about 4.3ghz under the best of circumstances.

If you're only talking about a 25% IPC increase in performance from Sandy Bridge to Skylake, a large portion of that can be made up with an aggressive overclock on the Sandy Bridge part. I don't see a reason for anyone with an i7 2600k to upgrade, much less any more recent i7.

Hell, I'm not planning on upgrading my i5 3570k for at least a year, and I even budgeted to do a rebuild this year.

August 3, 2015 | 06:29 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

The older processors have a larger surface area for dissipating heat. The larger processes also have a higher max voltage before risking long term (or instantaneous) damage. I suspect overclocking is going to continue to get worse with the smaller processes at least until they switch to a totally different process technology based on different elements. Significant over clocking may require more exotic cooling solutions even though the total power consumption isn't going up much. I have always been tempted to take a small air conditioner apart and see what I can do with it.

August 3, 2015 | 08:05 PM - Posted by BlackDove (not verified)

DDR4, TSX, NVMe support, hardware hypervisor support, eDRAM L4 cache.

I have a Sandy Bridge still. Skylake and Kaby Lake is the first real reason for someone with Sandy Bridge to upgrade, but ive been saying that since i built my Sandy Bridge system in January 2012 lol.

August 4, 2015 | 09:02 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Is Broadwell using the same polymer TIM as Devil's Canyon, or the regular silicon TIM of vanilla Haswell?

August 3, 2015 | 10:23 PM - Posted by BL (not verified)

Time to upgrade the old 2600k. Hello 6700k.

August 4, 2015 | 07:51 AM - Posted by zgradt

Ugh. I was hoping for a 6 core part. Maybe even a high end 8 core. I guess the days of 2x performance increases really are over. Maybe I should look into the X99 platform instead. Benchmarks please!

August 4, 2015 | 07:55 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I think x99 is where Intel is trying to push mid-level enthusiasts. I'm strongly considering it.