Refreshing Intel's Coffee was quite effective
Subject: Processors | October 19, 2018 - 01:55 PM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: 2700x, amd, coffee lake, coffee lake refresh, i5-9600K, i7-9700K, i9-9900K, Intel, ryzen 7, Z390
With the advent of the 9th generation of Core processors from Intel, we see the market return to what we have been used to in the past. Intel's offering is now faster and more effective than AMD's Ryzen, but it is also significantly more expensive. Instead of getting an APU and heatsink for ~$300, you will be paying ~$530 for just the processor with no cooler. That said the i9-9900K makes sense for those who have spent the money on an RTX 2080 Ti and a high resolution monitor, since they've already set a large budget; while those with less lofty dreams will be very happy with the Ryzen 7 2700X.
The question of overclocking is an interesting one, as Ken had no luck getting the chip to run above 5GHz. [H]ard|OCP had a slightly better experience, hitting 5.14GHz with a 3600MHz memory bus, which could not match the content creation power of Threadripper 2 even though it was sucking down more juice. Check out their review and then browse through the ones below.
"The new 9th generation Intel i9-9900K CPU is upon us! AMD has been pushing into Intel's desktop market and Intel knows it. Today Intel is pulling the curtain back on "not paid for" reviews and we are happy to be serving you one of those up here today. Is the i9-9900K better than the Ryzen 7 2700X, and is it worth the staggering price premium?"
Here are some more Processor articles from around the web:
- Core i9-9900K @ The Tech Report
- Intel Core 9600k @ Guru of 3D
- Intel Core 9700k @ Guru of 3D
- Intel Core 9900k @ Guru of 3D
- Intel Core i9 9900K – Intel’s Answer to RYZEN is here! @ Bjorn3d
- Intel Core I9 9900k @ Modders-Inc
- Intel Core i9-9900K @ TechARP
- Intel Core i9-9900K @ Kitguru
- Intel Core i9 9900K Linux Benchmarks - 15-Way Intel/AMD Comparison On Ubuntu 18.10 @ Phoronix
- Intel Core i9-9900K and Core i7-9700K @ TechSpot
- Intel 9th Generation Core i9 9900K Review @ OCC
- Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz @ TechPowerUp
- A Look At Linux Application Scaling Up To 128 Threads @ Phoronix
- AMD Dual EPYC 7601 Benchmarks - 9-Way AMD EPYC / Intel Xeon Tests On Ubuntu 18.10 Server @ Phoronix
- AMD Athlon 200GE: Benchmarking The $60 Zen+Vega Chip @ Phoronix
- Ryzen 5 2600X vs. 2600: Which should you buy? @ Techspot
- AMD Athlon 200GE 3.2 GHz @ TechPowerUp