Refreshing Intel's Coffee was quite effective

Subject: Processors | October 19, 2018 - 01:55 PM |
Tagged: 2700x, amd, coffee lake, coffee lake refresh, i5-9600K, i7-9700K, i9-9900K, Intel, ryzen 7, Z390

With the advent of the 9th generation of Core processors from Intel, we see the market return to what we have been used to in the past.  Intel's offering is now faster and more effective than AMD's Ryzen, but it is also significantly more expensive.  Instead of getting an APU and heatsink for ~$300, you will be paying ~$530 for just the processor with no cooler.  That said the i9-9900K makes sense for those who have spent the money on an RTX 2080 Ti and a high resolution monitor, since they've already set a large budget; while those with less lofty dreams will be very happy with the Ryzen 7 2700X.

The question of overclocking is an interesting one, as Ken had no luck getting the chip to run above 5GHz.   [H]ard|OCP had a slightly better experience, hitting 5.14GHz with a 3600MHz memory bus, which could not match the content creation power of Threadripper 2 even though it was sucking down more juice.  Check out their review and then browse through the ones below.

"The new 9th generation Intel i9-9900K CPU is upon us! AMD has been pushing into Intel's desktop market and Intel knows it. Today Intel is pulling the curtain back on "not paid for" reviews and we are happy to be serving you one of those up here today. Is the i9-9900K better than the Ryzen 7 2700X, and is it worth the staggering price premium?"

Here are some more Processor articles from around the web:

Processors

Source: [H]ard|OCP

October 19, 2018 | 03:25 PM - Posted by Heja (not verified)

Yep, getting one to replace my 3770K.

Hopefully it will last 6 years again.

October 20, 2018 | 08:04 AM - Posted by Power (not verified)

3770k was first chip on 22nm. 9900k is last hurrah of 14nm.
It will not age well.

October 20, 2018 | 01:27 PM - Posted by testbedvm (not verified)

Hold on to those horses for a little while. I'm on still holding onto my 5820K with 4.1 Ghz overclocked for almost more than 4 years now and i had given my 3770K to my sister with 16GB ram on it and still going strong.
I'm really waiting for those Zen 2 dies arriving in sometime to hit the final nail on the Intel's coffin as they have milked customer's with shoddy 7%~10% IPC jump every year with new chipset.

October 19, 2018 | 11:24 PM - Posted by TooL (not verified)

Thanks for the review.

I'm not impressed with Intel's 9th gen

Keeping my 4790k until the die shrink.

October 22, 2018 | 03:40 AM - Posted by ztix (not verified)

Instead of getting an APU and heatsink for ~$300.

Rysen 2700x is not an APU?

October 22, 2018 | 06:09 AM - Posted by Lololol (not verified)

Contrary to what the article says, the CPU makes absolutely no sense for high resolution.

But keep selling intel crap at all cost please, that's what we come here for.

October 22, 2018 | 06:09 AM - Posted by Lololol (not verified)

But keep selling intel crap at all cost please, that's what we come here for.

October 22, 2018 | 10:08 AM - Posted by Anonymous2 (not verified)

I like the fact that this CPU is super fast - it's great for the high frame rate crowd... but the cost is too darn high.

October 22, 2018 | 12:12 PM - Posted by Rocky1234 (not verified)

I'm still on a i7 2600K@5.1GHz (got a great chip). I have been waiting for something to upgrade to that will make it worth while for me. I have been keeping an eye out on AMD's Ryzen's and thought these seem like a good deal for the price to performance they give you.

Now I am contemplating on the i7 9700K it seems like it would be an ideal upgrade to my 2600K and has 8 real CPU cores inside it. I think I will hold off until AMD releases the Ryzen 3000 CPU's and see what they can manage with them & if they can get them to at least 4.6-4.7GHz stock boost I am thinking those would be a better deal for the price to performance. Like I said I was watching the i7 9700K as it seems to be a fairly good CPU.

The only thing that is holding me off from getting this CPU is that we all know Intel has pushed the 14nm++ node as far as it can go and as such there is very little room left fro guys like me that want to OC the CPU's to the max because Intel has already done it themselves.