Core i7-6700K and Core i5-6600K finally see end of life by Intel

Subject: Processors | September 6, 2017 - 12:06 PM |
Tagged: Intel, 6700k, 6600k

Initially launched in August of 2015, the Skylake consumer desktop processors are finally ramping down at Intel production facilities. Based on this Intel Product Change Notification, the widely coveted Core i7-6700K and Core i5-6600K, along with several other parts, are being EOL'd (end of life).

If you are an OEM or just really love building around these parts, you still have some time to get your orders in. You have until March 30, 2018 to place your final requests and the final shipment date will be a year from today. If you ever were curious how complex the ramp down on parts that ship to thousands of different customers in consumer, enterprise, and embedded markets, the table above should give you a glimpse.

(Probably that 3017 date is a typo...)

With the focus for Intel squarely on the Kaby Lake Core i7-7700K and Core i5-7600K, in addition to the upcoming Coffee Lake refresh 8000-series, enthusiasts might be wondering why it took Intel so long to shut things down on this set of Skylake parts.

I think it is safe to say that this marks the end of an interesting window of time for Intel, where it had clear and uncontested dominance of the consumer processor market. Re-reading my conclusion to the 6700K review reveals almost no mention of a relevant AMD competing part, making today's situation with Ryzen and Threadripper all the more impressive.

Source: Intel

September 6, 2017 | 02:16 PM - Posted by Anonymously Anonymous (not verified)

Still rocking a 2600k, starting to think it will last forever.

September 6, 2017 | 02:28 PM - Posted by Randy (not verified)

Still using my 2500K. Only upgrades I've made to the system in 5 and half years is I put in an SSD I got as a Christmas present this past Christmas (wow what a difference) and I upgraded from the Radeon 6950 2GB to the MSI Gaming X RX480 4GB. It meets my needs. I'd love to upgrade to Ryzen and dabble with learning some video editing and stuff though. I plan on switching to AMD whenever I upgrade.

September 6, 2017 | 07:08 PM - Posted by Buyers

Same for me. Main desktop still running my 2500K @ 4.3Ghz. Only upgraded the SSD over the years. More than adequate for what i use it for daily.

September 6, 2017 | 03:34 PM - Posted by Sega mega genesis Nerd. (not verified)

Me to, still got my good old 2600k OC @4.8Ghz. In gaming this CPU can run the same as Ryzen 1600 or even 1700 CPU`s at that OC. Gamers Nexus post a article with 2600K OC at 4.7GHz and still equal the Ryzen CPU in gaming... lol. So why do i need to upgrade my CPU ? Will i don`t, yet. I`m still waiting for Intel next CPUs for next year or Ryzen 2 CPUs to come out. :))

September 6, 2017 | 03:49 PM - Posted by agello24 (not verified)

only cause its overclocked. however u cant multitask on it like u can a ryzen. i know cause i own and i7 2600 and a ryzen 1600. the i7 2600 chokes when you put it under pressure even overclocked.

September 6, 2017 | 07:51 PM - Posted by Anonymously Anonymous (not verified)

Chokes? like how you use a broad, over-generalization to define how a cpu does in ALL multi-threaded workloads.

September 6, 2017 | 08:40 PM - Posted by Randy (not verified)

Well one would argue we don't have PCIe 3.0 and we don't have m.2 support. Or USB 3.1 Gen 2 support. But as of yet I don't have the requirement for that.

September 6, 2017 | 05:33 PM - Posted by Gikero

I just upgraded my brother's system to a i7 2600 (non k) that was given to me. I was surprised how well it and a 1050 Ti handled ARMA III at 1080P, standard settings.

September 8, 2017 | 08:24 PM - Posted by Mayhem (not verified)

Same with my 3570k. Still doing fantastic! No problems playing BF1, FC Primal, FO4, or any other game I have, and that is with using a GTX 960 4GB.

Only thing I'm thinking of upgrading is Video Card and CPU cooler. When I do upgrade cpu/mem/mobo (Whenever that is), I'll be going back to AMD.

September 6, 2017 | 03:48 PM - Posted by agello24 (not verified)

a big fat YEAH!!!!

September 6, 2017 | 06:51 PM - Posted by Bijit Singha (not verified)

I'm still using Core i3 540. It's a shame but it works great for me.

September 7, 2017 | 01:48 AM - Posted by fadirocks

What Coffee what Ryzen? I'm still using Phenom II X6 1090T

September 7, 2017 | 08:01 AM - Posted by niteowler

Still running a Phenom X6 1100T @ 4ghz since 2011. Put an ssd in about 4 years ago and I still don't feel the need to update. Only do light gaming and basic internet stuff though.

September 7, 2017 | 11:59 AM - Posted by Coupe

The reason why Intel is taking so long on 6th Gen is because it is the last generation supported by Windows 7. This is a big thing for businesses.

September 8, 2017 | 01:50 AM - Posted by RealExascale (not verified)

Its also completely artificial. If people had been smart and Boycotted Win 10 8 series CPUs would support 7 and 8.1.

But people are retards.

September 8, 2017 | 08:10 AM - Posted by psuedonymous

I have the exact same sympathy for people who want Windows 7 to stick around forever as I have for those who want Windows XP to stick around forever:
None at all.

September 8, 2017 | 08:32 PM - Posted by Mayhem (not verified)

You do realize that Win 7 market share is 21% higher than Windows 10, and that Windows 10 barely has 1/4 of the total operating system market?

There is a reason for that, and that reason isn't cause everyone on Windows 7 wants it to stick around forever.

September 11, 2017 | 12:30 AM - Posted by thesuremen (not verified)

i agree because i work in a retail computer store & still get request for windows 7, today in September 2017. intel/microsoft told all business customer that windows 7 discontinued in intel 7th gen, kabylake. right now, harder to get intel 6th CPU & windows 7 pro OEM license disc & prices going up because shortage. told IT department to review & start looking into windows 10. LOL, you dont have customer for apple asking for iphone 4/4s. even asking for serial or parallel port from legacy machines.

September 8, 2017 | 01:56 AM - Posted by RealExascale (not verified)

Speaking of Skylake, it would be nice if MSI got off their asses and released a BIOS with the updated microcode that LET ME USE HYPERTHREADING AGAIN!

I paid for a 6700K but might as well have a cheap ass 6600K since Hyperthreading cant be safely used.