AMD's 16-Core Ryzen Threadripper CPUs Coming This Summer

Subject: Processors | May 16, 2017 - 07:22 PM |
Tagged: Zen, Threadripper, ryzen, processor, HEDT, cpu, amd

AMD revealed their entry into high-end desktop (HEDT) with the upcoming Ryzen "Threadripper" CPUs, which will feature up to 16 cores and 32 threads.

Little information was revealed along with the announcement, other than to announce availablility as "summer 2017", though rumors and leaks surrounding Threadripper have been seen on the internet (naturally) leading up to today's announcement, including this one from Wccftech. Not only will Threadripper (allegedly) offer quad-channel memory support and 44 PCI Express lanes, but they are also rumored to be released in a massive 4094-pin package (same as "Naples" aka EPYC) that most assuredly will not fit into the AM4 socket.

Image credit: Wccftech

These Threadripper CPUs follow the lead of Intel's HEDT parts on X99, which are essentially re-appropriated Xeons with higher clock speeds and some feature differences such as a lack of ECC memory support. It remains to be seen what exactly will separate the enthusiast AMD platform from the EPYC datacenter platform, though the rumored base clock speeds are much higher with Threadripper.

Source: AMD

May 16, 2017 | 11:23 PM - Posted by Droid126

I wonder what the PPI of that socket is...

I am so happy to see AMD push so hard.

May 17, 2017 | 01:50 PM - Posted by StephanS

The socket look massive... so most likely no change in PPI

But no cooler have been made for x86 heat spreader that big, ever.

May 18, 2017 | 03:04 AM - Posted by James

If that is accurate (wccftech is not a reliable source), I am kind of surprised that they are doing 10 and 14 core parts. I don't onder if they can do two 5 core parts for the 10 and two 7 core parts for the 14? I suppose they could do a 4 and a 6 for the 10 and a 6 and 8 for the 14. Either way wiould be a bit strange though. I expected just a 12 and a 16 really.

May 18, 2017 | 05:55 PM - Posted by Pinscher

I'm fairly new to reading WCCftech, and I'm fairly sure that nothing is their source, lol.

May 18, 2017 | 08:42 AM - Posted by ckleuser

Best part there (at least for me) is the 1976X (best clocks and still lots of cores).