IFA 2015: ASUS Reveals RT-AC5300U Router: 8 Antenna Beast

Subject: Networking | September 2, 2015 - 07:00 AM |
Tagged: RT-AC5300U, router, mu-mimo, IFA 2015, dual band, asus, 802.11ac

This is a seriously imposing-looking router, and the specs are just as huge.

Here are some highlights from ASUS:

• AC5300 speeds
  • Tri-band wireless up to 1000 Mbit/s on 2.4 GHz and up to 2167 Mbit/s on each 5 GHz band
  • Up to 5333 Mbit/s combined on the 5GHz band
  • NitroQAM technology for low-latency gaming and 4K/UHD streaming
  • Eight external antennas in a 4x4 config
  • Ultra-wide area coverage
  • Award-winning ASUS AiProtection Network Security Services

5333 Mbps on the 5 GHz band alone? So how does the RT-AC5300U router provide so much bandwidth? It’s powered by a staggering array of radios! Looking at the chipset specs we that it’s comprised of BCM4709 + BCM4366 (2.4 GHz) + 2x BCM4366 (5 GHz), with 256MB DDR3 memory and 128MB of flash. And we can’t forget the 8 external dual-band antennas! Yes, eight. Truly, this is a beast (though it looks like an overturned spider).

Pricing and exact availability were not revealed, but ASUS says it will be coming in Q4 2015.

Source: ASUS

September 2, 2015 | 07:34 AM - Posted by sanadanosa

It looks like something came out from Mordor

September 2, 2015 | 07:44 AM - Posted by Gunbuster

More like a replicator from Stargate.

September 3, 2015 | 07:15 PM - Posted by Teal'c (not verified)

Indeed

September 2, 2015 | 08:07 AM - Posted by Minthos (not verified)

You're both mistaken. It's obviously a Cybran design.

September 2, 2015 | 02:01 PM - Posted by LegoGuy (not verified)

I agree.
I think Brackman himself cooked this one up.

September 2, 2015 | 08:15 AM - Posted by obababoy

Hahaha they are still crushing these things out?! I have the Netgear Nighthawk which I thought was aggressively designed...But this hahaha. I just can't image putting this anywhere visible to the human eye or else this would happen... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Kod1q39ddE

September 2, 2015 | 09:43 AM - Posted by Marvin (not verified)

Damnit i just bought the ac3200...

September 2, 2015 | 10:28 AM - Posted by obababoy

Shoulda waited for the ac9000!

September 2, 2015 | 10:23 AM - Posted by leinad (not verified)

Now, if it only could use those antennas to crawl around in the house in order to provide the best possible signal at any time for any given location...

At least use them to mechanically tilt the device to the optimal orientation, automatically ;)

September 2, 2015 | 10:27 AM - Posted by arf77

I thought this was an Onion article. I'll wait for the 100 radio router.

September 2, 2015 | 01:06 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

It does not matter how much bandwidth or antennas this router has as all the bandwidth will be taken up by windows 10 telemetry, as the user's computers become just another cloud node in M$ cloud collective. This device will just be servicing its masters(M$'s) wishes for more ad/adware/bloatware delivery to anyone within range! You will share your WIFI, and metrics with your M$ masters, let the high bandwidth data slurping Begin!

September 2, 2015 | 04:20 PM - Posted by funandjam

The more I stare at it the more it looks like the legs are moving.
Is it my imagination or is there a red light pulsing back and forth like in battle star galactica or knight rider?

It also looks like a heatsink.
I want one just to turn upside down and use it as monitor stand.
Maybe it could double as a footstool.

It doubles as a spider drone, or at least it should, ASUS, wake up and make the remote controlled spider drone/router a thing!

September 2, 2015 | 06:20 PM - Posted by razor512

Seems interesting, but can the antennas be upgraded? also what is the transmit power? 256QAM doesn't do much good at a really low transmit power where 256QAM can only be held if you are right next to the router.

I have noticed a lot of the AC3200 routers using lower transmit powers than the AC1900 ones, and I hope this trend doesn't continue.

I have tried a number of AC3200 routers as an upgrade from my R7000, and while the 2 5GHz bands helps with separating the slower and faster devices. For single device performance, none of them were able to match the performance of the r7000, they suffer a larger speed dropoff with distance due to their lower transmit power.

September 2, 2015 | 07:20 PM - Posted by billb79

When will you test it?

September 3, 2015 | 09:16 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

antenna not enough! I have to wait. I will only buy one if they make it look like a sea urchin

September 3, 2015 | 03:33 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I honestly, looked at this, and thought: "RELEASE THE KRAKEN!"