As cheap as Mortar? MSI's new B350 motherboard for Ryzen

Subject: Motherboards | July 10, 2017 - 03:38 PM |
Tagged: amd, b350, B350 Mortar, msi, AM4, mATX

MSI's B350 Mortar comes in the model you see below as well as an Arctic version if you prefer a different colour scheme.  AMD's B350 chipset carries a lower cost than the X370 series but retains most of the features enthusiasts delight in, such as M.2, support for DDR4-3200MHz, a USB 3.1 Gen1 Type-C plug and a Realtek ALC892 HD audio codec for audio.  Indeed about the only thing you lose is the ability to run multiple GPUs, which is not exactly a common need on an mATX build.  Modders-Inc were taken with this low cost motherboard, especially the amount of customization available in the UEFI to adjust your fan speeds ... and yes it has your RGBs.

"AMD's B350 chipset is challenging Intel's market dominance in a different subset that the chip giant did not expect: affordability. If AMD's Ryzen product releases sound too familiar with that of Intel's line, that is because it is deliberate. It is basically an aggressive move by AMD, challenging Intel directly that they can take over the naming scheme and do …"

Here are some more Motherboard articles from around the web:

Motherboards

Source: Modders Inc

July 11, 2017 | 02:05 AM - Posted by Anonymousdfdf3 (not verified)

Also has unstable BIOSes including the just released AGESA 1.0.0.6 version.

Change core voltages or any advanced memory timings and the CPU downclocks to 1.5GHz. Seems they can't fix this problem.

Also lacks 10Gbps USB 3.1 despite the platform providing it for free.

Shit board, can't recommend it at all.

July 11, 2017 | 02:56 AM - Posted by SuperkoopaTrooper (not verified)

Umm it comes with 4 usb 3.1 ports. Also, the bios oc is a non issue for me as I use AMD Ryzen Master. It functions much like gpu overclocking software but for Ryzen. I have an easy 3.9ghz overclock with 1.36v that I apply only when I'm playing games. I'm using a Ryzen 1600. Also, the bios is fine besides that one bug. You can check out the beta bios on the msi forums. It also accepted my 3000mhz teamgroup skhynx ram no problem. The board is fine, your frustration stems from a new platform. You should of known what to expect.

July 11, 2017 | 02:58 AM - Posted by SuperkoopaTrooper (not verified)

And I have no problem adjusting the ram frequency.

July 11, 2017 | 04:56 AM - Posted by Dharan (not verified)

Well said...

July 11, 2017 | 11:26 AM - Posted by techsores (not verified)

He meant usb 3.1 gen2 (10Gbps) and he is correct about that. Dissappointed when I found out its not really 3.1 (MSI calls it USB 3.1 gen1).

Although, I have this exact board and it is stable at 3200 MHz even without agesa update. I don't think this motherboard even has the agesa update yet last I checked.

Good review, I wish more sites covered motherboards like that. I have not installed any of the software yet included and I was looking where to adjust the LED. Sad to read that it only has seven colors and not a real 16M color RGB.

July 11, 2017 | 09:39 PM - Posted by FluxCzMixLet (not verified)

"AMD will be showing RX Vega in action during two pre-launch community meetups.

You can try AMD Radeon RX Vega in Hungary and USA"

July 12, 2017 | 02:18 PM - Posted by Mutation666

Sick of all these low end boards, only ATX has any boards I would consider for a main rig. Just disappointed in the selection for people who dont want full atx.

July 13, 2017 | 05:01 AM - Posted by Picka (not verified)

Pretty much on the sale boat. I'm only interested in mAtx form factor and the selection of boards is not very good. Wish there were more high end options.

July 20, 2017 | 11:09 AM - Posted by theBrayn

I count 13 B350 (12 if you consider the mortar and mortar artic as the same board), 8 A320, and 1 X370 mATX boards for sale right now. How many choices do you need?