MSI Will Support Kaby Lake Processors On All 100-Series Motherboards

Subject: Motherboards | October 6, 2016 - 10:06 PM |
Tagged: Z170, msi, kaby lake, Intel B150, Intel, H110

MSI has announced that it will be supporting Intel's next generation "Kaby Lake" LGA 1151 processors via a BIOS update. The company has updated its website with the new UEFI/BIOS updates that add support for Kaby Lake on all of its 100-series motherboards.

According to MSI, in addition to Kaby Lake support, the updates improve stability and overclocking potential. Currently, the following Z170, B150, and H110 chipset based motherboards have a BIOS update available.

• Z170 Motherboards
    • B150M BAZOOKA
    • B150M BAZOOKA D3
    • B150M GRENADE
  • H110 Motherboards
    • H110M GAMING
    • H110M GRENADE

To grab the latest bios, head over to https://www.msi.com/support#support_download and use the drop down menus to search for your motherboard model. The BIOS download will be available towards the top of the list of available downloads.

MSI and ASUS have both announced support for Kaby Lake on their existing motherboards which is nice to see. If leaks are true, Intel is readying Z270 Express chipset for release in late 2016 or early 2017, but it is nice to know that you will not have to upgrade the motherboard if you do not want to just to get the latest Intel CPU.

Source: MSI

October 6, 2016 | 11:15 PM - Posted by zmeul (not verified)

odd, MSI's H170 chipset mobos are missing from that list

October 7, 2016 | 02:03 AM - Posted by BlackDove (not verified)

Im so glad i ditched Gigabyte for MSI Z170 Carbon.

January 4, 2017 | 02:45 PM - Posted by Joseph Michelini (not verified)

Z170A PC Mate here...

I currently have an i7 6700 and am on the market for the K version now (son't want to base clock overclock the chip). I guess that means that I still am going to look for a 6700k instead of any Kabylake :(

January 6, 2017 | 06:22 PM - Posted by KevinSantoyo (not verified)

If you go to the MSi support site and look up your motherboard, you'll see that it received a BIOS update for Kaby Lake processors on October 18th of last year.

January 15, 2017 | 06:26 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Don't be stupid, all kaby lake offers is just a bit of overclock and 0% gains in-gaming, just 2 IPC increase.

January 10, 2017 | 10:44 PM - Posted by Matt (not verified)

If I buy a 100 series motherboard with a Kaby Lake CPU am I able to boot? Even if it has an older BIOS?

Reason I ask is that I don't have a Skylake CPU lying around that I can use to upgrade it.

If it can at least get in to the BIOS on a Kaby maybe I could just update it from there.

January 10, 2017 | 11:21 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I have the same question in mind my motherboard is a MSI H110M motherboard and I am wondering if kabylake will boot up if it is on the version before the support for kabylake

January 11, 2017 | 01:29 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

You should be able to get into the bios at least

January 15, 2017 | 01:09 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Is it possible to update z170 Carbon with no cpu? Have a friend who bought z170 and Kaby lake for me. So i Get no display unless i update to the new bios

January 15, 2017 | 06:33 PM - Posted by Jeremy Hellstrom

I would think you should still see the BIOS but if not, do you have an GPU sitting around you can try to power your display?

January 19, 2017 | 02:39 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Sow is it possibale?

February 1, 2017 | 12:56 AM - Posted by Natey Prankard (not verified)

Hey I am using a kaby lake processor in my z170a MSI m5 and nothing is showing on the screen, I think I need a skylake one to get into bios!!
specs:
i5 7600k
msi m5
16gb corsair Vengeance ram
Corsair H60 water cooler

February 3, 2017 | 04:36 PM - Posted by Jeremy Alvarez (not verified)

Hey, does your motherboard bootup and have the fans spinning? I am having the same problem but it doesn't boot up at all. Not sure if it's because we have a kabylake instead of skylake.

February 15, 2017 | 03:12 PM - Posted by austin (not verified)

same problem as well everything lights up and turns on but nothing on the monitor not even bios. :/

March 2, 2017 | 11:58 PM - Posted by New Build (not verified)

Same here was hoping to find a solution, I have a Msi Z170A GP Carbon, with i5-7600 cpu no signal for moniter, keyboard, mouse, first build ever. cpu error light is on for .5 seconds, DRam error light is on for 3-6 seconds, also no error light for gpu in POST. Haven't installed the gpu was hoping to run it off the mobo and cpu. Any help would be great...

February 6, 2017 | 05:01 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Hey will if i buy the h110m motherboard now, will it have the bios that supports kaby lake processors like a i5-7500

February 6, 2017 | 05:01 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Hey if i buy the h110m gaming motherboard now, will it be able to support kaby lake processors like the i5-7500

February 16, 2017 | 07:16 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

just bought a new g4560 and a new msi h110 pro vd plus, i ask if they could update it for kaby lake and they said its already compatible (didnt believe at first since i heard you need a skylake first before kaby lake bios update) so i ask them do a quick check up if its true and ta-dah, it boot directly to the bios and even got to check if the cpu was installed properly,,plss verify
PS: new pc build and wants to know if this is the correct way

February 26, 2017 | 01:04 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

so,does the msi h110m pro-vd support the intel i5 7400?

March 2, 2017 | 08:10 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

hey i bought a msi h110m gamimg motherboard and a armor 470 radeon graphics card and a intel core i3-7300k kabylake cpu and its blinck red on the cpu light at the right when i start the computer and then it dont start what am i going to do?

April 8, 2017 | 02:26 AM - Posted by n3dro (not verified)

Well if it answers some of the questions asked. I purchased a MSI H110m gaming mobo along with a G4600 kaby lake and hyper X 16gb memory 2133 and it booted up to the BIOS with no issues. before booting up, I had downloaded all my drivers and bios on my laptop that i was going to need but the bios was already up to date. so YES it supports kaby lake and yes you should be able to boot to BIOS to update if needed. PC running for 2 weeks now with no issues.