Rumor: Google Pixel 2 XL Slow Charging

Subject: Mobile | November 5, 2017 - 07:49 PM |
Tagged: google, Pixel 2 XL

The Pixel 2 XL launch hasn’t been going so well for Google. Early complaints were about the screen: how it had alleged burn-in problems within the first few days, and how it couldn’t support the sRGB color space. Since then, we’ve even been hearing reports that some phones shipped without the OS even installed. Whoops!

Now here’s a specific complaint: people are saying that the phone is charging slow. This is an easy one to test – run a multimeter in-line with the USB cable see what happens. Google+ user, Nathan K., apparently did, and he found that the Pixel 2 XL maxed out at 10.5W. When the screen is on, this drops to a maximum of 6W, which he claims (and I would have guessed) is likely due to the combined heat of a phone that’s both in-use and charging. Lithium batteries are very sensitive to heat.

He also says that this issue isn’t really a problem in-and-of itself. He just wishes that manufacturers advertised more about how the battery should perform, and maybe even provide the switches for users to override if needed. I could see that being a warranty nightmare, but I’m rarely going to fall on the side against user choice as a general rule, so I think that would be nice.

November 5, 2017 | 08:40 PM - Posted by Droid126

Galaxy S7s also reduce charging speed when the screen is on.

November 5, 2017 | 09:13 PM - Posted by Scott Michaud

Yeah it makes sense; heat greatly reduces battery longevity.

November 6, 2017 | 12:35 AM - Posted by robin7 (not verified)

Pixel 2 XL takes 2.5 hours to fully charge and tops up 11% in the first 15 minutes. That is NOT fast charging. I never expected this type of false advertisement from Google. Its like buying a Ferrari, only to find that they have capped its top speed at 100km/hr to improve mileage.

November 6, 2017 | 02:57 AM - Posted by robin7 (not verified)

November 6, 2017 | 07:34 AM - Posted by psuedonymous

They also have the same image retention as the Pixel 2 XL panel (https://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-s8-burn-in-issue-768623/). There's a big difference between image retention (charge-based phenomena) and burn-in (chemical phenomena).
As for colour-space: the Pixel 2 swapped from the previous Android norm (assume sRGB in software, regardless of the ACTUAL panel colourspace, resulting in awful oversaturated colours) to properly enforcing colourspace flags and defaulting to sRGB by default. For those used to screens showing oversaturated images, colours are 'flat' for apps that have not updated to use the correct flags.

But it seems few sites could resist the lure of the click-bait long enough to properly research before republishing the popular headlines.

November 6, 2017 | 08:19 AM - Posted by robin7 (not verified)

Please watch the following video where he compares the XL2 colors to a calibrated screen. This is not simply a case of people blinded by oversaturation.

November 6, 2017 | 12:01 PM - Posted by psuedonymous

I'd accept someone testing with a colorimeter (or better yet a spectrophotometer), not some youtuber pointing a camera at some screens. Far too many variables there.

November 6, 2017 | 08:22 AM - Posted by robin7 (not verified)

And here is Android central confirming that it is not simply image retention, but a mixture of retention and burn in.

November 6, 2017 | 11:58 AM - Posted by psuedonymous

Burn-in is a permanent lifetime effect, retention is a temporary effect on the period of seconds to hours. Fiddling with a phone for a day or two in normal conditions is not going to show any evidence of burn-in, that requires accelerated lifetime testing.

November 6, 2017 | 12:56 AM - Posted by Jimv1983 (not verified)

I just fully charged my Pixel 2 XL from 0-100%. I got to 90% in 90 minutes. The last 10% took 30 minutes. That's plenty fast for me. Especially since faster charging has a negative impact on long term battery life. Battery life is also really good. During my normal work week I can get along just fine charging just 30 minutes in the morning.

As a side note I'm really happy with the screen too. Blue tint is minor if I even see it at all. No burn in after two weeks.

November 6, 2017 | 07:53 AM - Posted by Anonymous23442234ewf (not verified)

Gave up on google long time ago always cutting corners and whats worst now are they are not inexpensive phones anymore.

Google more on selling their ugly looking bare OS than putting in quality hardware in their phones.

November 6, 2017 | 08:16 AM - Posted by CB

My Pixel 2 XL charges fast enough for me.

If it slows down, it's after it has been on the charger for awhile. The first 30-45 minutes of charge seems to charge a good percentage. I haven't had any issues with battery life.