MWC 2016: Lenovo Announces VIBE K5 and K5 Plus Smartphones
Subject: Mobile | February 21, 2016 - 01:00 PM | Sebastian Peak
Tagged: VIBE K5 Plus, VIBE K5, Snapdragon 616, Snapdragon 415, smartphone, qualcomm, MWC 2016, MWC, Lenovo, Android
Lenovo has announced a new pair of smartphones in their VIBE series, and these offer very impressive specs considering the asking price.
The VIBE K5 will retail for $129, with the K5 Plus slightly higher at $149. What does this get you? Both are 5-inch devices, with a modest 1280x720 resolution on the standard K5, or FHD 1920x1080 on the K5 Plus. The phones are both powered by Qualcomm SoCs, with a Snapdragon 415 in the K5 (quad-core 1.4 GHz), and the faster Snapdragon 616 (8-core 1.7 GHz) in the K5 Plus.
Here’s a look at the specifications for these phones:
- Screen: 5.0” HD (1280x720) display (K5) or IPS Full HD (1920x1080) (K5 Plus)
- Processor: Qualcomm snapdragon 415 octa-core (K5) or 616 octa-core processor (K5 Plus)
- Storage: 2GB LP DDR3 RAM | 16GB eMCP built-in storage | up to 32GB microSD expandable storage support
- Graphics: Adreno 405: up to 550MHz 3D graphics accelerator
- Camera: Rear: 13MP with 5-piece lens and FHD video recording, Front: 5MP fixed-focus with 4-piece lens
- Connectivity: Dual SIM slots with 4G LTE connectivity + BT 4.1; WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Wi-Fi hotspot
- Battery: 2750mAh interchangeable battery
- Audio: 2 x speakers, 2 x mics, 3.5 mm audio jack, Dolby Atmos
- Thickness: 8.2 mm (.32 in)
- Weight: 142 g (5 oz)
- OS: Android 5.1, Lollipop
On paper these smartphones present a compelling value reminiscent of the ASUS Zenfone 2, with the K5 Plus easily the better bargain with a 1920x1080 IPS display and octa-core processor for $149. We’ll have to wait to pass judgment until the UI performance and camera have been tested, but these new VIBE K5 phones certainly looks like a promising option.
The VIBE K5 and K5 Plus will be available in March.