ASUS Announces the ZenFone 2 Powered by Quad-Core Intel Atom
Subject: Mobile | May 18, 2015 - 02:00 PM | Sebastian Peak
Tagged: ZenFone 2, smartphones, intel atom, atom z3580, asus
ZenFone 2 is the new flagship smartphone from ASUS ZenFone, and features a new design powered by an Intel Atom Z3580 (Moorefield) processor with a massive 4GB of RAM.
The phone has a 5.5-inch 1080p IPS display with 403 PPI for crisp scaling, and the “Ergonomic Arc” design includes a volume-control key on the rear of the phone “within easy reach of the user's index finger”, with a curved profile that tapers to a 0.15 inch at the edges.
The camera also features a 13 MP PixelMaster camera with a f/2.0 aperture and claimed “zero shutter-lag”. The battery weighs in at 3000mAh and features “BoostMaster” fast-charge technology that sounds similar to Qualcomm’s Quick Charge 2.0 standard.
But one of the most attractive features will be price, as ASUS will be selling these online through their retail channels as affordable unlocked smartphones:
- 2GB / 16GB storage / Atom 3560 - $199
- 4GB / 64GB storage / Atom 3580 / QuickCharger - $299
Here's look at the specifications:
- CPU: Intel Quad-Core 64-bit Atom Z3580 @ 2.3GHz (Min Clock 333MHz, Max Clock 2333MHz)
- GPU: PowerVR Series 6 G6430 with OpenGL 3.0 Support (Min Clock 457MHz, Max Clock 533MHz)
- Display: 5.5in IPS, 1920x1080 resolution (403 PPI), Corning Gorilla Glass 3 with Anti-Fingerprint Coating
- Memory: 4GB 800 MHz LPDDR3
- Storage: 64GB eMMC
- SIM: Support Dual active micro-SIM
- Micro-SD slot: SDXC support up to 128GB
- Modem: Intel XMM7260 LTE-Advanced
- FDD LTE 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9/177/18/19/20/28/29
- TDD LTE 38/39/40/41
- WCDMA 850/900/1900
- TD-SCDMA 1900/2100
- EDGE/GPRS/GSM 850/900/1800/1900
- Wireless: WiFi 802.11a/b/g/n/ac
- Rear Camera: 13MP, aperture f/2.0, sensor size 1/3.2 inch
- Front Camera: 5MP
- Maximum Video Resolution: 1080p/30
- Battery: 3000 mAh Lithium-Polymer (11.4 Wh), Boostmaster Fast-Charging
- Colors: Glacier Gray, Osmium Black, Glamour Red, Sheer Gold
- Dimensions: 152.5 mm x 77.2 mm x 10.9-3.9 mm (6 x 3.04 x 0.43-.15 inches)
- Weight: 170g
PR after the break.
See What Others Can’t See — ASUS ZenFone 2
ZenFone 2 is the new flagship smartphone in the hugely-successful ASUS ZenFone family, featuring an all-new design, 13MP PixelMaster camera, and uncompromising performance delivered by a 64-bit Intel® Atom™ Z3580 (‘Moorefield’) processor with up to 4GB RAM. An Intel LTE-Advanced modem provides ultra-fast and reliable 4G/LTE connectivity. Building on the success of ZenFone and leveraging a quarter-century of engineering accomplishments, the highly-anticipated ZenFone 2 provides a wealth of exciting new features and a refined ASUS ZenUI experience to deliver a new level of empowering luxury for everyone.
ZenFone 2 has a gorgeous, all-new design that employs iconic Zen design elements, such as a sleek, brushed-metal finish and concentric-circle detailing, and introduces new refinements, including a graceful curved case that tapers to an incredibly-thin 0.15 inch at the edges. The exclusive Ergonomic Arc design provides a comfortable, secure grip, and features an intuitively-placed volume-control key on the rear of the phone within easy reach of the user's index finger. The 5.5-inch Full HD IPS screen has a large 72% screen-to-body ratio that provides a maximized viewing experience, while reducing ZenFone 2’s overall size.
ZenFone 2’s 13MP PixelMaster camera with its f/2.0 wide-aperture lens lets users quickly and easily capture beautiful, high-resolution photos with zero shutter-lag. Camera features, including Low Light mode, Backlight (Super HDR) mode, and Super Resolution mode, ensure incredible photos even in dimly lit situations.
ZenFone 2 has a 3000mAh battery that provides more than enough power to get through the day, and it also features BoostMaster fast-charge technology for dramatically-reduced recharge times.