G.Skill Launches 128GB DDR4 3,000 MHz Memory Kit

Subject: Memory | January 18, 2016 - 01:45 AM |
Tagged: xmp, X99, Ripjaws V, G.Skill, ddr4

G.Skill is adding a new DDR4 memory kit to its Ripjaws V series aimed at the Intel X99 platform. The new kit is comprised of eight matching 16 GB DIMMs for a total of 128 GB. Supporting Intel's XMP 2.0 standard, it comes stock clocked at 3,000 MHz with CAS latencies of 14-14-14-34.

The DDR4 kit is rated at 1.35V and will feature red or black aluminum heat spreaders in line with the company's other products. G.Skill claims that this is the world's fastest 128 GB kit running at 1.35 volts, and looking around the Internet this appears to be true. Corsair does have a Vengeance LPX kit that matches it in clockspeeds, but it has higher timings (higher latency) than G.Skill's modules.

Eight 16GB DIMMs is a lot of memory to be sure, and it is not going to come cheap. It will surely come in handy though for high performance workstations that need all the memory they can get.

G.Skill will be releasing the new DDR4 kit towards the end of January. It has not yet revealed official pricing, but going off of pricing for it's 64GB kit and the 128GB competition, I would expect it to fall around $850 to $900 USD.

What would you do with 128GB of system memory? I know that I would make one heck of a RAM Disk out of it!

Source: G.Skill

Video News

January 18, 2016 | 03:36 AM - Posted by dimz7

First thing I'd do would be to reduce page file size to a minimum static size just so Windows wouldn't nag. Other than that, can't think of anything else, except perhaps to turn on every ram tweak possible.

January 18, 2016 | 05:42 AM - Posted by The_O (not verified)

Other than the bragging rights and that it matches my Rampage V, being a hardcore gamer, this would be superfluous to my needs. Not maxed out the 16gb I'm running yet.
Furthermore with the rise of M2 NVME SSDs, ram disks (and the hassle of filling them) will slowly become a thing of the past.

January 18, 2016 | 08:27 AM - Posted by Jabbadap (not verified)

Well at least until NVDIMMs arrive on consumers space...

January 18, 2016 | 09:42 AM - Posted by gloomfrost

"one heck of a RAM Disk out of it!"

you got it Tim, i dream of a Ram Disk this size.

January 18, 2016 | 03:46 PM - Posted by The_O (not verified)

Really??... I dream about girls, perhaps I'm weird...

January 19, 2016 | 02:20 AM - Posted by Tim Verry

You can't have both? hehe

January 19, 2016 | 02:58 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

"Oooooh, your RAM disk is sooooo big...."

rofl

January 19, 2016 | 09:01 PM - Posted by Tim Verry

Lol. Only at Joshtekk.com!

January 18, 2016 | 11:36 AM - Posted by YTech

So it appears the modules are still maxed at 16GB each, for consumers (32GB available for servers).
It would be interesting to see sticks of much greater capacities. Imagine that ITX board with 64GB or greater. :)

For my current usage, 32GB total is all I need. This kit won't work on a Micro-ATX or ITX board.

I was hyped for a moment. :(

The speed is interesting, however I was under the impression that the higher the RAM frequency, the lower you can OC the CPU.

January 18, 2016 | 06:04 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

The CPU has a memory controller which has to be clocked at a higher frequency (and in some cases additional voltage) to support faster memory.

I'm not certain but I think the memory controller is mostly independent from the rest of the CPU in terms of clocking, and though more HEAT is generated when overclocking the main CPU I'm not sure if that affects the memory controller enough to become the weak point there.

Thus, I'm fairly certain that overclocking the CPU doesn't prevent overclocking of the memory.

January 18, 2016 | 02:08 PM - Posted by Anonymouse (not verified)

>Kind of how on a vehicle engine, if you tune it for high acceleration, your top speed will go down.<

You mean like a CCX- R, Agera or Veyron? :)

jk; I know what you mean.

January 18, 2016 | 10:07 PM - Posted by willmore (not verified)

I would do more large matrix math for GNFS number factoring. Can't have too much memory for that!