The new 4GB ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 960

Subject: Graphics Cards | March 10, 2015 - 05:48 PM |
Tagged: strix, gtx 960, factory overclocked, DirectCU II, asus, 4GB

The ASUS Strix Series is popular around PC Perspective thanks to the hefty factory overclocks and the quiet and efficient DirectCU II cooling.  We have given away 2GB versions of the GTX 960 and Josh recently wrapped up a review of the tiny GTX 750 Ti for SFF builds.

Today ASUS announced the STRIX-GTX960-DC2OC-4GD5, a 4GB version of the Strix GTX 960 with a base clock of 165MHz higher than the default at 1291MHz and with a 1317MHz boost clock and memory clocked at 7010MHz.  The DirectCU II cooling solution has proven to live up to the hype that surrounds it, indeed the cooler is whisper quiet and even under load which heavily overclocked it is much less noticeable than other solutions, especially when attached to Maxwell.

The outputs are impressive, DVI, HDMI and three DisplayPort outputs will have you gaming on a variety of monitors and it will support 4k resolutions, at reasonable graphics settings of course.  Along with the card you get the familiar GPU Tweak utility for tweaking your card and for a limited time the card will come with a free one year XSplit Premium License to allow you to share your best and worst moments with the world.  So far only the 2GB model is showing up at Amazon, NewEgg and B&H so you might want to hold off for a few days but it is worth noting that these cards will get you a free pre-ordered copy of Witcher 3.

Source: ASUS

Video News

March 10, 2015 | 06:56 PM - Posted by fkr

4 GDDR what a waste. you don't even need that much for SLI 970's . trololo

March 20, 2015 | 03:16 AM - Posted by Adrian (not verified)

As I saw from one interview with a guy from EGA about the GTX 960 4GB models, I understand that the big advantage with those are when you pair them in SLI. You will have great performance when you double the GPU's and then the cards will take advantage of that 4GB.

Maybe you will ask why should I pay now about $500 or more for 2 GTX 960s when I can buy a GTX 970 right? But as I see it, there are people who don't want or don't afford that money now, so, they buy a 960 and later they can upgrade to another one(considering the price will drop anyway after a while).

Cheers.

March 10, 2015 | 07:13 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

But, is it really 4GB?

March 10, 2015 | 07:54 PM - Posted by skaterdude97 (not verified)

I was thinking the same thing.

March 11, 2015 | 11:18 AM - Posted by Activate: AMD (not verified)

If its actually 2GB, its going to actually be 4GB...

March 19, 2015 | 09:54 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

The 2gb version has been available for a while, the 4gb version has just been released. They are both actually 2 and 4gb, unlike the 970.

March 10, 2015 | 08:32 PM - Posted by willmore (not verified)

"Super Alloy capacitor" "Super Alloy MOS" "Super Alloy choke"

What??? What "alloy" is in that capacitor? What "alloy" is in that "MOS"[SIC]. Okay, the 'chokes' actually are made of a ceramic alloy, so that makes sense. But those other two? Stupid marketing.

Also, one of the benefits of the "Super Alloy MOS" is "30% higher voltage threshold for enhanced OC capability". What voltage threshold are they refering to? For a MOS[FET], the Gate Threshold Voltage being higher is generally a bad thing as it makes it harder to drive them into saturation.

You're drunk, marketing, go home.

March 11, 2015 | 10:53 AM - Posted by Rais (not verified)

"voltage threshold" is probably referred to the maximum voltage delivered by fets, not the gate threshold.

Again, it doesn't mean anything but i am glad to be strict.

March 15, 2015 | 10:54 AM - Posted by MikeS_inFL

unless I'm mistaken, "Super Alloy" is usually either titanium/nickel or platinum/nickel and silicon of some config. depending on the product

March 10, 2015 | 10:41 PM - Posted by JL (not verified)

What is the point of giving GTX960 4GB?

I rather nvidia gives our current GTX970 actual usable 4GB at itS 224GB/s speed aka 256bit.

Not the intentional 3512+512.

March 11, 2015 | 10:27 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I think it is an upgrade path for those people who can't afford to get that highend card now and really only game on a single monitor.

March 27, 2015 | 05:30 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Games like Shadow of Mordor uses over 4GB @ 1080p and a lot of current AAA games uses over 2GB. So the 960 with 4GB is not a bad thing. Since a lot of next-gen AAA ports will be released this Fall the 960 with is a good choice for an upgrade.

March 11, 2015 | 01:09 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

So many haters. Can't we see some benchmarks first or performance reviews of actual users before bashing the damn product? Sheesh.

March 11, 2015 | 11:54 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Agreed. It's probably going to offer improvements for memory-intensive scenarios and more than likely be very good for SLI.

March 31, 2015 | 04:09 PM - Posted by Adrian (not verified)

You're right, in SLI will take the most advantage of that 4 gigs.

March 18, 2015 | 12:09 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

4GB vs 2GB:

1) Useful for SLI (2xGTX960 4GB)

2) VRAM requirement is starting to go up

In general, if you tweak almost any games settings using the GPU power of a GTX960 to get at least 40FPS average then more than 2GB is pointless.

The near future however is all but certain. For example, when Watch Dogs launched it had major STUTTER on my GTX680 2GB card (similar to a GTX960 for performance). This was because the 2GB framebuffer filled up so textures had to be swapped back to the hard drive or SSD.

Bad port? Yes, but the reason it happened had to do with designing the game to run on the new consoles with their roughly 5GB of usable shared memory. So I doubt this will be the last time.

*Thus, requiring more than 2GB of memory for "only" a GTX960 to avoid stuttering in some near future games is almost certainly going to happen.

(Whether the GTX960 4GB at $250 if that's the price is a completely different question. Keep in mind features like fanless mode, MFAA, PhysX etc may be more worthwhile to some than say an R9-280X 3GB card from AMD.)

It's worth noting that the R9-280X is about 10% faster (stock vs stock) but the GTX960 will overclock higher and MFAA if supported for a game would give similar performance.

March 24, 2015 | 01:41 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I Want To buy a GPU.
which one is better GTX 960 4GB OR GTX 970.

March 27, 2015 | 05:32 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

970 obviously.

September 2, 2015 | 08:57 AM - Posted by vep (not verified)

why obviously? higher model?
stick with the 960 if only those 2 are the options you have. But it is time for a 980 model, think about how quickly the game industry advances, worth its price in all ways.

April 21, 2015 | 12:46 PM - Posted by Augustas (not verified)

Hey guys, I have GTX 660 2GB OC and I want an upgrade to play GTA 5 on Max settings, so I don't know, should I buy the 2GB version of GTX 960 or the GTX 960 4GB version, I think they're almost the same but I didn't decided yet.

April 23, 2015 | 09:48 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I just bought the 960 4gb . I had to take it back because one fan was not working
So I just got a replacement . I have been trying to make play far cry 4 and my game keeps crashing
I don't know why ? maby because its factory over clocked ?? Any ideas .

June 25, 2015 | 05:41 AM - Posted by Abhishek Sehwag (not verified)

Is Asus Gtx 960 strix 4 GB a good card for playing games like GTA 5, Far Cry 4, COD Ghosts, Dying light , and many future games like GTA 6 and so on.

September 2, 2015 | 09:02 AM - Posted by vep (not verified)

if it is able to? I am sure it is! but I am also sure you won't be enjoying as much as you would have with a 980 card, don't waste your money on it if you like such games, go for a 980.