Zotac Releases PCI-E x1 Version of NVIDIA GT 710 Graphics Card

Subject: Graphics Cards | April 21, 2016 - 08:37 AM |
Tagged:

Zotac has released a new variant of the low-power NVIDIA GeForce GT 710, and while this wouldn't normally be news this card has a very important distinction: its PCI-E x1 interface.

With a single-slot design, low-profile ready (with a pair of brackets included), and that PCI-E x1 interface, this card can go places where GPUs have never been able to go (AFAIK). Granted, you won't be doing much gaming on a GT 710, which features 192 CUDA cores and 1GB of DDR3 memory, but this card does provide support for up to 3 monitors via DVI, HDMI, and VGA outputs.

A PCI-E x1 GPU would certainly provide some interesting options for ultra-compact systems such as those based on thin mini-ITX, which does not offer a full-length PCI Express slot; or for adding additional monitor support for business machines that only offer a single PCI-E x16 slot, but have a x1 slot available.

Specifications from Zotac:

• Cooling: Passive
  • Slot Size: Single Slot
  • SLI: N/A
  • Supported OS: Windows 10 / 8 / 7 / Vista / XP
  • Card Length: 146.05mm x 111.15mm
  • Accessories: 2x Low profile bracket I/O brackets, Driver Disk, User Manual

The card, which is listed with the model ZT-71304-20L, has not yet appeared on any U.S. sites for purchase (that I can find, anyway), so we will have to wait to see where pricing will be.

Source: Zotac

April 21, 2016 | 10:11 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Although people like to call these pointless, I'm glad cards like this exist as a cheap alternative to active adapters if you need more display outputs. I use a 5450 alongside the main 7950 so that I have 3x high resolution VGA ports. Most active adapters don't even support higher VGA resolutions (>2048x1536 60hz).

April 21, 2016 | 10:22 AM - Posted by Sebastian Peak

Good point! High-res monitor support is certainly a reason to consider this card. Unless I was stuck with a laptop, I would always prefer a dedicated PCIe x1 GPU over an external USB solution.

April 21, 2016 | 10:41 AM - Posted by Master Chen (not verified)

"Absolutely RETARDED" is the lesser compliment I can give to this...

April 21, 2016 | 10:55 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I just like how even on a 25W card they recommend a 300W power supply, as if 250W would likely fall flat on its face with most systems.

In fact, how many systems would you figure that 25W additional in a card like this unlikely to ever be used for demanding tasks would be the straw to break the camel's back?

April 21, 2016 | 11:38 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Why people should use this card instead of an APU or a professional multi-display solution?

April 22, 2016 | 01:52 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

An APU makes sense, a multi-display solution would cost more. For the most part I agree. I'm sure there's some small percent of people who this will be perfect for.

April 22, 2016 | 04:10 AM - Posted by Dood (not verified)

It is a cheep, small solution for use in places where a APU is not appropriate. Things like servers that do not have a integrated GPU if you need a local video output. In many cases this can be solved with IMPI access but I'm sure there is a market for it to make it worthwhile creating such a card.

April 21, 2016 | 12:52 PM - Posted by willmore

It's nice to see one of these that doesn't require a Dremel and "some assembly required".

April 22, 2016 | 01:23 AM - Posted by Hakuren

Good, was waiting for something along these lines a long time. Now I can put simple vga card on x1 slot and plug another RAID controller where it matters. Love one slot, x1 idea. Now give me a waterblock for it. :D

As for answering question why this and not APU. Well because I can replace card alone without need of replacing platform when apu goes wonky. That's what for PC are. Max Modularity.

April 26, 2016 | 03:06 PM - Posted by PCPerFan (not verified)

DDR3 sucks for GPUs. Really sucks.

January 6, 2017 | 08:40 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

This is great card for as who have multi gpus in system.I just order one.I have 610 PCI-e 1x and its great but 710 is better.