Teaching an old star new tricks, the Radeon RX 580

Subject: Graphics Cards | April 18, 2017 - 04:04 PM |
Tagged: RX 580, radeon, Polaris, amd, powercolor, red devil

Ryan covered the improvements over the previous Polaris based cards the RX 580 offers, a higher Rated Clock and standardizing memory frequency of all RX 580 models to 8GHz.  That lead to the expected increase in performance compared the the RX 480, in a marketplace somewhat different than what the first Polaris chips arrived in.  Consumers now know what NVIDIA's current generation cards provide in performance and prices have settled as much as can be expected in the volatile GPU market.  Those using cards several generations old may be more receptive to an upgrade than they were with the previous generation, especially as the next large launches are some time off; we shall see if this is true in the coming months.

One particular reason to consider upgrading is VR support, something [H]ard|OCP covers in their review.  The improved speeds do not provide miracles in their VR Leaderboard however they do show improvements in some games such as Serious Sam, with reprojection rates dropping markedly.

"AMD is launching the AMD Radeon RX 500 series today, and we lead with a custom retail Radeon RX 580 GPU based video card from PowerColor. We’ll take the Red Devil RX 580 Golden Sample video card through the paces and see how it compares to the competition at the same price point."

Here are some more Graphics Card articles from around the web:

Graphics Cards

Source: [H]ard|OCP

August 18, 2017 | 12:17 PM - Posted by PhotM

Ya Jeremy,

"Those using cards several generations old may be more receptive to an upgrade than they were with the previous generation, especially as the next large launches are some time off; we shall see if this is true in the coming months."

I have a Radeon 6880 which is really struggling now with Train Simulator and worse with Train Sim World from Dovetail Games(I don't like computer games, never have in over 40 years, BUT I like Trains :D). The problem is here in Calgary, at London Drugs, which originates out in your neck of the mountains and woods, the RX 580 is indefinitely BACK ORDERED. We wonder if we will end up with Vega 64 in the future IF it becomes available????

Best Regards,

Crysta

August 18, 2017 | 01:31 PM - Posted by Jeremy Hellstrom

Try NCIX and Amazon as well?  Availability can be a problem up here in the Great White North even without the current home heating for profit trend.

August 20, 2017 | 12:43 PM - Posted by PhotM

Txs Jeremy,

For the suggestion but not being well with a chronic illness has limited my mobility. Therefore I need the extra service that London Drugs provides me as well as the fact that they are only 2 blocks away on the way to Safeway's. They will do their best to get me one when they can but I think AMD is more responsible for keeping their Long Term Customers, Customers. For the most part the Mining purchases are fly by night and could be AMD greatest undoing???

Just Sayn'....

Best Regards,

Crysta

September 30, 2017 | 06:53 PM - Posted by PhotM

Hi Jeremy,

Just though I would let you know, my RX 580 8GB has arrived at my local London Drugs a few days ago. It won't be install until after Oct 10 for various reasons. I will let you know how it works out.

Best Regards,

Crysta

October 2, 2017 | 01:20 PM - Posted by Jeremy Hellstrom

Good to hear, hope you managed a decent deal.

October 3, 2017 | 11:23 AM - Posted by PhotM

Jeremy,

I don't really know what is decent here in Canada, but they do take extremely good care of me(with my chronic health issues), so all in all with all of the non charged for deliveries, etc it will all come out in the wash,.

It is $400.00 with an additional $160.00 which includes installation, a complete cleaning and Hardware Only health check(I can take care of my own software issues) plus installation/swap of my 2 data drives to 10 TB Gold Enterprise HDD from old and older 2- TB Blacks. The Tower is Sandy Bridge(K, never needed to over clock it), Cougar Chipset and Intel Motherboard, 600 W power supply.

10 TB Gold Enterprise HDD come in at $600.00($0.06 per GB, which I thought was very good for 5 year W, ERR COR and Buffers). I also swapped out 1- 2 TB Blaclk 2- 6 TB RED Pros on Single HDD Synology NAS for the these GOLDs. After listening to Allyn and Steve Gibson, I realized the error of my ways with error correction and buffering on REDs in a NON RAID environment.

I have a Synology 5 bay plus 5 bay extension NAS which are great for REDs in their own Hybrid RAID 6 format called SHR 2 for 2 HDD protection plus 1 10 TB Hot Swap. So now my BACKUP NAS has 6- 10 TB HDD, 2- 6 TB RED Pros and 2- 3 TB RED from 2 retired WD Live Cloud Books. Now that vulnerability of unsupported NAS is gone. This all came in at ~47 TB. 10 bays of NAS has been quite a learning curve with 2 rebuilds.

Best Regards,