NVIDIA Releases GeForce 378.49 Drivers

Subject: Graphics Cards | January 26, 2017 - 09:38 PM |
Tagged: nvidia, graphics drivers

Update: There are multiple issues being raised in our comments, including a Steam post by Sam Lantinga (Valve) about this driver breaking In-Home Streaming. Other complaints include certain applications crashing and hardware acceleration issues.

Original Post Below

Now that the holidays are over, we’re ready for the late-Winter rush of “AAA” video games. Three of them, Resident Evil VII, the early access of Conan Exiles, and the closed beta of For Honor, are targeted by NVIDIA’s GeForce 378.49 Game Ready drivers. Unless we get a non-Game Ready driver in the interim, I am guessing that this will cover us until mid-February, before the full release of For Honor, alongside Sniper Elite 4 and followed by Halo Wars 2 on the next week.

Beyond game-specific updates, the 378-branch of drivers includes a bunch of SLI profiles, including Battlefield 1. It also paves the way for GTX 1050- and GTX 1050 Ti-based notebooks; this is their launch driver whenever OEMs begin to ship the laptops they announced at CES.

This release also contains a bunch of bug fixes (pdf), including a reboot bug with Wargames: Red Dragon and TDR (driver time-out) with Windows 10 Anniversary Update. I haven’t experienced any of these, but it’s good to be fixed regardless.

You can pick up the new drivers from their website if, you know, GeForce Experience hasn’t already notified you.

Source: NVIDIA

January 26, 2017 | 11:37 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Geforce experience told everyone yesterday, thanks for being so reactive...

January 26, 2017 | 11:51 PM - Posted by Scott Michaud

Glad I could help those who don't install GeForce Experience. : D

Seriously, though, I saw NVIDIA tweet about it within a couple hours of it going live. I just kept putting it off, behind setting up the new release of Amazon Lumberyard and a bunch of "real life" stuff.

January 27, 2017 | 04:36 AM - Posted by JohnGR

There are so many things you can write each day, but there is time for only 1, 2 or maybe 3 news articles. So, you keep a link in your bookmarks, only to deleted it a few days latter because you didn't had time to write it and it is too old now.

Am I describing it correctly?

January 27, 2017 | 09:27 PM - Posted by Scott Michaud

Pretty much, except change "bookmarks" to "tabs across three browsers". :p

January 28, 2017 | 04:12 AM - Posted by JohnGR

Tabs. Correct. I was keeping a bookmarks folder until recently, but change it about a month ago. Obviously I still have the bookmarks folder in my mind.

Anyway, Opera is perfect for the job. It keeps all the tabs you had opened from the last time you closed it, without of course trying to load them all at once when starting it, only the one in front. It hasn't crushed on me, or anything like that, losing those tabs, so it seems to be really good for the job. And if you don't use Opera as your main browser it helps to have all those tabs confined there, leaving your favorite browser clean of tabs for the everyday personal browsing.

I think Opera is doing it by default. Haven't really check the other browsers to see if they support something like that, or if there are extensions doing it.

January 29, 2017 | 03:07 PM - Posted by Scott Michaud

Yeah, I use three different browsers on a day-to-day basis. Firefox is my main one, and it doesn't reload all tabs when you turn it off and on again. Its only major problem is that it slows way down on large sites, even just plain text. Opera's where I leave Tweetdeck, and Chrome is mostly for video / Flash.

January 31, 2017 | 03:31 AM - Posted by JohnGR

Yes, Firefox needs to catch up. My favorite browser but there is no comparison between Firefox and Chrome (or Opera). It has become really slow those last years. But they do try to fix that.

January 27, 2017 | 01:14 PM - Posted by Wardialer Turden (not verified)

Amazon has a lumberyard now? When are people going to wake up and stop destroying the economy with Amazon? Retail monopolies suck.

January 27, 2017 | 02:13 PM - Posted by Subsailor

Using my awesome "Google-Fu" powers, it took me 5 nanoseconds to find out the Amazon Lumberyard is a free game development engine.

/bow

January 29, 2017 | 11:40 AM - Posted by khanmein

seriously, didn't face any major issue with GFE.

January 27, 2017 | 11:05 AM - Posted by Joseph Taylor (not verified)

Last I checked PCper wasn't Nvidia's PR agency. They have no obligation to get the word out asap that Nvidia screwed something up. This is completely on Nvidia to publicize to their customers.

January 27, 2017 | 01:15 PM - Posted by Wardialer Turden (not verified)

They post about AMD drivers too fanboy

January 27, 2017 | 02:28 PM - Posted by brucek2

Their "obligation" (wrong word) is to their readers, to bring them news of interest. I'm a reader, I downloaded this driver version, and this is the first I'm hearing of the bugs, so I for one found the update of interest.

January 27, 2017 | 05:36 PM - Posted by Joseph Taylor (not verified)

You need to re-read my response in the context of the OP who was basically saying 'why is PCper just telling me this now when it was known about yesterday'.

January 26, 2017 | 11:43 PM - Posted by Thierry Ohlmann (not verified)

Black screen on install had to restart in safe mode DDU it reinstalled now Vulkan demo from gpucapsviewer crashing...

January 27, 2017 | 12:51 AM - Posted by Cristian Kleuser (not verified)

Broke my PhysX and Compute on my 980ti on Win10. Rolling back. Sorry guys, but come'on nVidia, the control panel is ancient, even the monitor image inside are still an CRT panel. Horrible is just a nickname.

January 30, 2017 | 04:22 AM - Posted by NVidiman (not verified)

Yup! It's ancient. They should integrate it within GE therefore people are forced to use it. ;p Please pass this on Ryan!

January 27, 2017 | 01:20 AM - Posted by Jgr9 (not verified)

Don't update if you somehow haven't already. It breaks Hardware acceleration and Minecraft (and who knows what else).

January 27, 2017 | 01:43 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

In-Home Streaming
The latest NVIDIA drivers have broken hardware encoding in Steam, please revert to driver version 376.33 if you need that. We are working with NVIDIA to get a driver fix.

January 30, 2017 | 04:28 AM - Posted by NewYorkie (not verified)

Been there done that. Hence, I always wait for brave souls (aka premature agitators) to venture forth.

January 27, 2017 | 04:35 AM - Posted by Daniel Nielsen (not verified)

NVIDIA killing it with these solid driver updates.

January 27, 2017 | 07:07 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

AS it relates to drivers, I saw that you guys were talking about HDR gaming in the podcast. Both AMD and NVIDIA support HDR output from their GPUs (HDMI 2.0 naturally, so Maxwell, Pascal, Polaris).

The first PC game to support HDR natively was Shadow Warrior 2, which has a setting you have to enable. It will work at any resolution as long as your HDR display can accept that resolution. Depending on the display and the HDMI port you use, you may have to enable PC mode or HDR mode within the display settings to make it work properly. Depending on your GPU, drivers, and display, you may have to use 12-bit 4:2:0 output to make it work, but it still looks freaking amazing and is 1,000% worth doing (if you do it correctly)

January 27, 2017 | 01:00 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

At least they didn't cause the fan to stop and melt cards. Look at the bright side!

January 29, 2017 | 05:23 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Except they did, lots of times

January 27, 2017 | 03:11 PM - Posted by Anonymously Anonymous (not verified)

I've got a 980ti paired with a 2600k, a gsync monitor and an older static refresh rate monitor.

When I found out that there is a new driver, I opened up geforce experience and discovered that the app would not connect to download, despite I could open chrome or IE and download it that way. Couple of reboots later and still same thing.
geforce would log me on no problem, but would not connect to Nvidia's side to check for updates, so no download.

So, i opened their download site through a browswer, did a clean install of the new driver and still geforce can not connect to check for new drivers.

Other than that, I haven't seen any funky behavior.

January 27, 2017 | 09:59 PM - Posted by spartibus

Who could have guessed, another awful driver from Nvidia? I'm getting tired of having to stay on such old drivers waiting for a solid driver to upgrade to.

January 29, 2017 | 05:22 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Jesus fucking christ can they ever make working drivers?

The only drivers that ever worked for my laptop with 960m were the ones validated by the OEM back from 2015. In every driver I've tried since the GPU literally ejects itself when I wake it up from hibernate. Most recent ones even break CUDA and the GPU gets ejected whenever I try to use a CUDA app, even after multiple reinstalls with DDU. Takes a restart to get shit to work again.

nVidia shit is so fucking broken, piles of hacks stacked up until nothing fucking works.