NVIDIA Releases 368.22 Drivers for Overwatch

Subject: Graphics Cards | May 24, 2016 - 06:36 PM |
Tagged: nvidia, graphics drivers

Yesterday, NVIDIA has released WHQL-certified drivers to align with the release of Overwatch. This version, 368.22, is the first public release of the 367 branch. Pascal is not listed in the documentation as a supported product, so it's unclear whether this will be the launch driver for it. The GTX 1080 comes out on Friday, but two drivers in a week would not be unprecedented for NVIDIA.

While NVIDIA has not communicated this too well, 368.22 will not install on Windows Vista. If you are still using that operating system, then you will not be able to upgrade your graphics drivers past 365.19. 367-branch (and later) drivers will required Windows 7 and up.

Before I continue, I should note that I've experienced so issues getting these drivers to install through GeForce Experience. Long story short, it took two attempts (with a clean install each time) to end up with a successful boot into 368.22. I didn't try the standalone installer that you can download from NVIDIA's website. If the second attempt using GeForce Experience failed, then I would have. That said, after I installed it, it seemed to work out well for me with my GTX 670.

While NVIDIA is a bit behind on documentation, the driver also rolls in other fixes. There were some GPU compute developers who had crashes and other failures in certain OpenCL and CUDA applications, which are now compatible with 368.22. I've also noticed that my taskbar hasn't been sliding around on its own anymore, but I've only been using the driver for a handful of hours.

You can get GeForce 368.22 drivers from GeForce Experience, but you might want to download the standalone installer (or skip a version or two if everything works fine).

Source: NVIDIA

Video News

May 24, 2016 | 07:48 PM - Posted by Ophelos

Guess you guys forgot that AMD also released drivers for Overwatch. An here i thought you guys were trying to remain unbaised between AMD and Nvidia.

May 24, 2016 | 09:04 PM - Posted by Allyn Malventano

We cover AMD driver releases about as often as we do NV releases, but we don't necessarily bean count and try to meet any particular quota on either side. It's just whichever news guy sees it as noteworthy and picks it up. Our news guys are also fairly GPU agnostic, which kinda undermines your argument :).

May 24, 2016 | 09:22 PM - Posted by Scott Michaud

Y'know... it's been over a month since I reported on an NVIDIA driver, and I did two on AMD (16.5.1 and 16.5.2) since then.

We write posts when we can justify the time. In this case, NVIDIA's driver was worth a post because they deprecated Vista and I experienced installation issues, so I wanted our readers to be cautious. In the previous two driver posts, it was interesting because AMD was being much more successful in hitting release dates with optimization drivers than they have been.

Typically, humans are really good at spotting patterns, but really bad at identifying them. Most of the time, when these series of events spawn a conspiracy theory, it is because they are seen through a lens of intent that just doesn't exist. Worse, it tends to perpetuate because the receiver often views this analysis under the same lens of intent, leading to sides and camps and all that fun stuff.

Regardless, yes. We try to remain as unbiased as possible, because that serves our readers best. We won't always be successful, not only because we're human but also because it's basically impossible to have equivalent experiences when observing the world through a sample size of one, but we have to try otherwise we'd be useless as a resource.

May 24, 2016 | 09:46 PM - Posted by renz (not verified)

personally i prefer to download the driver myself instead letting GFE to do it.

May 24, 2016 | 09:50 PM - Posted by Scott Michaud

Same. I've had some problems in the past with GFE, but I've been trying to trust it and keep an eye on what NVIDIA's canonical experience is like.

May 25, 2016 | 07:31 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Where are the Total War Warhammer drivers? WTF nvidia?

May 25, 2016 | 07:58 PM - Posted by spartibus

nVidia's drivers have been hot garbage since the beginning of the 35x.xx series at least. I'd rather not deal with the bs and so I just use DDU and clean install every time, making sure to never install GFE and 3D vision drivers. I can't count the times I've had to roll back to older versions these past 2 years, it's become really pathetic.