NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Availability Slips

Subject: Graphics Cards | September 16, 2018 - 11:18 AM |
Tagged: nvidia, rtx, RTX 2080 Ti, RTX 2080

There are two changes to the launch of NVIDIA’s GeForce RTX 20-series of cards. The first change is that the general availability, as in the first possible moment to purchase a GeForce RTX 2080 Ti without a pre-order, has slipped a week, from September 20th to September 27th. The second is that pre-orders of the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti have also slipped. They will ship between September 20th and September 27th, rather than all of them shipping on September 20th.

The GeForce RTX 2080 (without the Ti) will still launch on September 20th.

View Full Size

This was all announced on the NVIDIA forums. The brief, ~six-sentence post did not clarify whether this applied to the OEMs, such as ASUS, EVGA, MSI, PNY, ZOTAC, and Gigabyte. It’s entirely possible that they are just referring to the Founder’s Edition. NVIDIA also did not mention why the delay occurred. Given the relatively short duration, it could be anything from one of the recent natural disasters to accidentally forgetting to add an automatic stop threshold to the pre-order page. Who knows?

The NVIDIA website has been updated to show “Notify Me” instead of “Pre-Order” for the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, so pre-orders have officially shut down for that product. The regular RTX 2080 is still available for pre-order on NVIDIA’s website, though, so you still have a little time to pre-order those.

You can also, of course, wait for the reviews to make a more informed decision later.


September 16, 2018 | 02:41 PM - Posted by Anonymouse (not verified)

The reason would have to have had a 'warning time' of less than 4 weeks (Nvidia gains nothing for knowingly setting an early preorder date, only lose), which rules out fab issues, and likely component lead time issues (unless Micron oversold in an attempt to bid off AIBs against each other). The 2080 not being delayed rules out driver or other software issues. A rogue firmware but is a possibility, but shipping problems due to multiple global ports having hurricanes slam into them at the same time seems the most likely culprit.

September 16, 2018 | 04:34 PM - Posted by Scott Michaud

Yeah that's my most likely guess. If I had to pull probabilities out of thin air, I would give it like 75% probability that it was a hurricane, typhoon, or earthquake; about a 20% probability they underestimated demand in the pre-order process; and about 5% other.

September 16, 2018 | 07:24 PM - Posted by Anony mouse (not verified)

Is it confirmed its shipments are coming by boat?

Was the delay world wide or for those locals affected by events?

September 16, 2018 | 07:57 PM - Posted by Scott Michaud

We're just speculating. No idea. It would make sense, though.

September 17, 2018 | 12:04 PM - Posted by Hypetrain (not verified)

Usually that's how it goes, the first shipments by boat and only a bit later in the product cycle by airfreight.

September 16, 2018 | 05:28 PM - Posted by LoadsOfReasonsOrTheOnesYouStated (not verified)

"one of the recent natural disasters to accidentally forgetting to add an automatic stop threshold to the pre-order page."

It could be that or other things supply related/firmware related. Maybe there was some supply chain slip-up for some little part that could not be second sourced and that affects the remainder of the PCIe card's other components' performance, and/or delivery dates, who really knows.

Look at GN's Teardown(1) on that RTX 1080Ti FE part(1) that they have done and that's a 13 phase PWM Puppy with that having some new IC IP that Nvidia is using and also some new/improved Power Balancing, Another IC(maybe), that balances between the two 8 pin connsctors also.

Go and Watch GN's latest few YouTube videos (1, 2) as they have some New Information. And really Steve over at GN needs to get some high resolution RTX FE 2080Ti PCIe card shots over to Buildzoid ASAP, Both the front and back of the PCB.

Maybe it's something last minute firmware related and all that On PCIe Card IP has many controller ICs that need firmware in order to work. It's Nvidia so who knows what going on fully there.

(1)

[he could not get the Vapor-Chamber heatsink completely seperated from the Shroud/Dual-Fan assembly but the PCB board part he was able to look at, front and back, and tons of un-screwing required for even that part of the teardown]

"RTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition Tear-Down: "No Disassembly" Edition"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C9GuizA5ks

(2)

[Starting at around 3:49 in the GN video the Nvidia employee gives the Phase counts(GPU and Memory phases) for the RTX/non RTX SKUs, and also at around 7:21 in the video and we see that the 13 phase, RTX 1080Ti, PWM IC is new also, NO doublers according to the Nvidia engineer/technical marketing(?) person.]

"RTX Power Delivery Redesign & FE Cooler | Interview"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CbMOZSSvJc

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a> <em> <strong> <cite> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd> <blockquote><p><br>
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.

More information about formatting options

CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.