GeForce Driver 417.71 Now Available, Enables G-SYNC Compatibility With FreeSync Monitors

Subject: Graphics Cards | January 15, 2019 - 03:25 AM |
Tagged: variable refresh rate, nvidia, graphics driver, gpu, geforce, g-sync compatibility, g-sync, freesync

One of NVIDIA's biggest and most surprising CES announcements was the introduction of support for "G-SYNC Compatible Monitors," allowing the company's G-SYNC-capable Pascal and Turing-based graphics cards to work with FreeSync and other non-G-SYNC variable refresh rate displays. NVIDIA is initially certifying 12 FreeSync monitors but will allow users of any VRR display to manually enable G-SYNC and determine for themselves if the quality of the experience is acceptable.

Those eager to try the feature can now do so via NVIDIA's latest driver, version 417.71, which is rolling out worldwide right now. As of the date of this article's publication, users in the United States who visit NVIDIA's driver download page are still seeing the previous driver (417.35), but direct download links are already up and running.

The current list of FreeSync monitors that are certified by NVIDIA:

Users with a certified G-SYNC compatible monitor will have G-SYNC automatically enabled via the NVIDIA Control Panel when the driver is updated and the display is connected, the same process as connecting an official G-SYNC display. Those with a variable refresh rate display that is not certified must manually open the NVIDIA Control Panel and enable G-SYNC.

NVIDIA notes, however, that enabling the feature on displays that don't meet the company's performance capabilities may lead to a range of issues, from blurring and stuttering to flickering and blanking. The good news is that the type and severity of the issues will vary by display, so users can determine for themselves if the potential problems are acceptable.

Update: Users over at the NVIDIA subreddit have created a public Google Sheet to track their reports and experiences with various FreeSync monitors. Check it out to see how others are faring with your preferred monitor.

Update 2: Our friends over at Wccftech have published a short video demonstrating how to enable G-SYNC on non-G-SYNC VRR monitors:

Source: NVIDIA

Video News

January 15, 2019 | 03:56 AM - Posted by Power (not verified)

Is it safer to pair Freesync monitor with AMD GPU or the experience will be exactly the same with GPU from Nvidia?

January 15, 2019 | 06:01 AM - Posted by Anonymousness (not verified)

Will work better with amd because Nvidia hasn't really done any optimization yet.

February 16, 2019 | 07:07 PM - Posted by Anonymous200 (not verified)

Do you just make this "information" up as you go? How do you know what NV or AMD "optimized"?

January 15, 2019 | 04:16 AM - Posted by rukur

Will be interesting how it goes.

January 15, 2019 | 05:00 AM - Posted by Dazzi (not verified)

Mhh,
I have the Omen 32+
I wonder if the 75 hz prblem is solved by this driver.

January 15, 2019 | 04:56 PM - Posted by UMRN (not verified)

I too have the same monitor, after installing the new drivers, G-Sync was enabled by default. I'm able to finally run 75hz with variable refresh rate on this display now. Tested the pendulum demo and the UFO browser test.

January 16, 2019 | 03:02 AM - Posted by Frejb (not verified)

Sounds good.
Let me know if you have done any other test.
Lowering freesync range -
Overclocking display -
I'm wondering if I should buy the Vega 64 or a 2060.
I don't. Want the Nvidia card if it does not work as good, and I really wants to go a bit beyond 75hz.
Br.

January 16, 2019 | 12:34 AM - Posted by pussy_slayer_beast (not verified)

No, the issue you have there is that you have a Dell Omen

January 15, 2019 | 06:39 AM - Posted by Matt (not verified)

I'm using a ASUS VG278Q with the new driver but dont see any g-sync settings in my Nvidia CP. GFX card is 980ti.

January 15, 2019 | 06:49 AM - Posted by sharkeer (not verified)

i think you need a pascal gpu or newer

January 15, 2019 | 07:06 AM - Posted by Matt (not verified)

That sucks. G-Sync normally works with 900 series cards if the monitor supports it. I guess they dont care about this card anymore :(

January 15, 2019 | 07:46 AM - Posted by Shinigati (not verified)

Simple business tactic, they advertise that they're supporting free-sync but only enable it in newer cards.. forcing people like us to either miss out or upgrade.

January 15, 2019 | 07:55 AM - Posted by JohnL123 (not verified)

Well.....Nvidia have a lot of pascal inventory leftover from year 2018 if one searches the internet......

January 15, 2019 | 08:06 AM - Posted by Anonymouse (not verified)

Not on compatible list, but there is no option what so ever to "enable manually" as it says on the nvidia site.

January 15, 2019 | 08:22 AM - Posted by JPRaceman (not verified)

Same here :(

January 15, 2019 | 11:13 AM - Posted by Anonymouse (not verified)

Had to enable freesync on my monitor, seemed to get it to work.

January 15, 2019 | 01:06 PM - Posted by TJ1979 (not verified)

I was trying to get it to work on mine, and couldn't figure it out. Thanks for the tip on enabling on the monitor! For my BENQ it is switching the picture mode to GAMER mode. Seems to work :D

January 15, 2019 | 08:48 AM - Posted by mamafifi (not verified)

Guys, you have to set your monitors to freesync on. manually on your monitor, not the pc. then it should pop up.

January 15, 2019 | 08:49 AM - Posted by mamafifi (not verified)

LG 34UC79G-B flickers.....a lot. Nonstop.

January 15, 2019 | 12:04 PM - Posted by bobik (not verified)

What if you lower refresh rate to 120Hz? Does it change anything?
I'm curious because I'm the owner of same the monitor and I'm interested in replacing my Vega 56 with RTX 2060/2070.

PS Sorry for my english, it's not my native language.

January 15, 2019 | 03:32 PM - Posted by Marc (not verified)

I cant even get it to work on my 980ti i dont even get the menu for it

January 17, 2019 | 10:03 AM - Posted by Anonymously Anonymous (not verified)

turns out that 900 series adn below do not work with adaptive-sync monitors, which sucks.

January 16, 2019 | 03:00 AM - Posted by Andreu (not verified)

Same here, im with a vega 56 for freesync and i want to test g-sync on my freesync monitor but i have a 970...

January 18, 2019 | 06:42 PM - Posted by gabe (not verified)

I have this awesome monitor and gsync is working great with it so far. It flickered the first time I turned it on. Then I turned the Freesync option on the OSD menu off and on again and that seemed to made the trick.

I also uses it at 120hz cause of calibration settings (optimal image quality).

Remember to disable vsync in games once g sync is enabled on the nvidia control panel.

January 17, 2019 | 12:16 AM - Posted by WTFGGQWNED (not verified)

I have the same monitor and Freesync is working great on my Aorus 1080ti.

January 18, 2019 | 06:45 PM - Posted by gabe (not verified)

Hey, bro. Try to disable it (freesync) on the OSD panel of the monitor and then enable it again. For some reason that made mine stop flickering.

Oh, and remember installing the monitor driver into windows.

January 15, 2019 | 08:50 AM - Posted by Ssh (not verified)

Did anyone test it on the Samsung VRR TVs?

January 15, 2019 | 09:48 AM - Posted by Prodeous@Work (not verified)

Eager to see someone testing one screen on the short supported list, vs a screen that uses same panel but is not supported.

and then "flash" the name of the working to the not working.

NOt that I don't trust Nivida, but they haven't done anything trustworthy. As such I wonder if they "artificially" introduce the artifacts on the "non-supported" screens to make them blink, etc.

Using basic logic, if same screen used and same/similar firmware works on AMD, they why would there be potentially such a technical issue with Nvidia, unless potentially done on purpose?

January 15, 2019 | 09:54 AM - Posted by Sonik (not verified)

Hoping Linus or Tech Jesus will have a full review soon, I'm waitin got pull the trigger on a monitor and hope to save money by going Freesync

January 15, 2019 | 10:21 AM - Posted by collie

Wow. Just wow, I never expected this. Smart move team green. I chose freesync with my current monitor, not being stuck in one eco-system now is nice.

January 15, 2019 | 11:11 AM - Posted by DP1Point2aIsWhatNvidiaSupports (not verified)

Except Nvidia will never use the Freesync branding they will use VESA'a DisplayPort Adaptive Sync standard.

Then there is the question of Freesync-2 and Nvidia is not going to be retiring their G-Sync IP anytime soon.

So maybe it's time to look closer at VESA's DisplayPort Adaptive Sync standard(DP 1.2a) that Nvidia will also be supporting on some monitors that are certified for DisplayPort Adaptive Sync.

The Adaptive sync wars will continue and Nvidia is only going to be adopting VESA's DP Adaptive Sync Standard that's not related to Freesync-2. So the war still rages on for a good while longer.

January 17, 2019 | 04:25 AM - Posted by Baldrick's Trousers (not verified)

Correct. However, the Nvidia G-Sync certification programme enables Nvidia to get their branding on monitors that were formerly advertised exclusively with AMD Freesync branding.

It expands the Nvidia brand exposure by loads at AMD's expense. And the monitor manufacturers will happily pay Nvidia for the certification because it vastly extends the customer base for such products.

Nvidia aren't daft you know. They were never going to do this is such a way that didn't benefit themselves.

January 15, 2019 | 11:14 AM - Posted by Anonymouse (not verified)

Tested on hp omen 25 with a GTX 1060, seems to be working great. No visual anomalies. Think I got lucky.

January 15, 2019 | 12:57 PM - Posted by Carlos Costa (not verified)

I have a Philips QHD 1440p Curved monitor with AMD FreeSync and EVGA GTX 1070 Hybrid and this update actually seems to improve my gameplay. Whatever they did actually worked for me.

January 15, 2019 | 02:38 PM - Posted by totjup5 (not verified)

So far I'm not impressed with their support for freesync. In my GTX 1080 SLI system I get constant frame skipping and glitching with G-Sync enabled on my LG UD68-W. I thought maybe it was SLI so I disabled it but no dice.I know it isn't the monitor however, because I tested it with my Vega 64 system and I get flawless support across the entire range from 40-60HZ @ 4K. So either Nvidia has some work to do on the driver side, or they're intentionally gimping freesync displays to differentiate their G-Sync module displays...

January 15, 2019 | 03:03 PM - Posted by Jeremy Hellstrom

Good to know, my first thought was SLI but I guess it is innocent this time.

January 16, 2019 | 01:59 AM - Posted by Shadbud (not verified)

does it work with hdmi or DVi?

January 16, 2019 | 06:26 AM - Posted by Emko (not verified)

Display Port only and you need minimum a Pascal card (GTX 1050 and up).

January 16, 2019 | 10:41 AM - Posted by Yaydra (not verified)

I am using the Acer XG270HU and have an rtx 2080ti and the g-sync option is not available in the NVIDIA settings. Its not even an option for me.

I have the latest drivers installed from geforce and have the latest updates installed from windows 10. Not really sure what else to do, it just seems the update didnt work or the Acer XG270HU monitor should not be on the list.

January 16, 2019 | 10:41 PM - Posted by CKH (not verified)

Try enabling Freesync on your monitor first. You should see the G-Sync option from NVidia's control panel.

January 17, 2019 | 01:02 AM - Posted by FPTS (not verified)

I downloaded version 417.71 hoping it will finally fix my surface book 2 issues with the GTX1050 card constantly disappearing! it has been a real disappointment the surface book 2, my fingers are crossed this is the fix even though I am not seeing any mention of this.

January 17, 2019 | 07:43 AM - Posted by Robert Kinslow (not verified)

acer ED242QR A WORKS BY DEFAULT WITH 2080 TI

January 17, 2019 | 07:52 AM - Posted by Robert Kinslow (not verified)

acer ED242QR A WORKS WITH 2080 TI