Gaming graphics for under $100

Subject: Graphics Cards | September 14, 2017 - 02:53 PM |
Tagged: RX 550, gt 1030, nvidia, amd, esports

If the majority of gaming time your PC spends is on CS:GO, Starcraft 2 or DOTA then it would be cruel to force a GTX 1080 or Vega 64 to do your heavy lifting.  In many twitch games there is even a distinct advantage to reducing graphics quality to its lowest settings when trying to improve your K/D ratio.  TechSpot decided to examine this segment of the market, testing a ~$70 GT 1030 and a ~$90 RX 550 on a variety of eSports titles.  The NVIDIA card outperformed AMD's offering across the board on low settings, however the RX 550 actually performed better on high quality settings though often both cards were below 60fps.  Check out their benchmarks as well as their advice for those shopping for budget GPUs right here.

"It's time for another GPU battle, though this one is a bit different with GPUs under $100: from AMD we have the Radeon RX 550 and on Nvidia's side is the GeForce GT 1030. Our focus will be primarily on eSports titles including CS:GO, Overwatch and Dota 2 running on a Ryzen 3 test bench."

Here are some more Graphics Card articles from around the web:

Graphics Cards

Source: TechSpot

September 14, 2017 | 04:13 PM - Posted by JohnGR

Yeap, AMD seems to have abandoned the low end market to Nvidia. Nvidia prices have gone down, at least in Greece, those last months, AMD's not. So at 30 euros you have to choose between a GT 710 or an HD6450 or it's rebrand the R5 230 and GT 710 is the obvious choice. That joke, the GT 730, the three different cards under the same name, well the GDDR5 version costs a little more than 50 euros and you definitely go with that card over an DDR3 R7 240. And GT 1030 plays without competition at about 65 euros. R7 250 is not an option, considering that GT 1030 also offers H265 support.

AMD started sabotaging itself, probably thinking that APUs will be the standard by now, when they replaced the perfectly fine HD 7730, HD 7750 and HD 7770 cards with inferior models. From that time to date, AMD low end cards where a nice option only because Nvidia was overcharging it's low end cards as PhysX and CUDA capable cards. Now that Nvidia has put more reasonable pricing on it's low end models, AMD is NOT an option. They really have to fix this.

September 14, 2017 | 05:54 PM - Posted by LetMeBePerfectlyTrickyDicky (not verified)

But there is so much more money in blockchain and AI for both Nvidia and AMD and Nvidia's JHH is looking for any and all excuses to increase Nvidia's pricing, what with AMD's GPU's commanding so much more for their compute abilities over any gaming ability. So having AMD's GPUs cost more than Nvidia's GPU's for any class of GPU usage has to just be irking the hell out of JHH over at Nvidia. Nvidia has such Gaming GPU market share already that JHH does not need lower Pricing to gain what market share Nvidia already has so I'd expect that JHH will fix that cost differential rather quickly!

Let's also Ask AMD just what their Zen/Raven Ridge APUs(With Vega Graphics) are going to use for High Bandwidth Cache(HBC) if the first Zen/Raven Ridge offerings do not come with any HBM2 to be used as HBC. I'm wanting more pressure from the press applied to AMD in answering this question(What will Raven Ridge APUs use for HBC if it has no HBM2) than any other gaming only questions as I'll want to use any Raven Ridge APU for Blender Rendering and we all know that laptop OEMs have had a habit of not using dual DIMM channels for any AMD APUs in the past.

Maybe Raven Ridge can come with a little eDRAM or something to give that Vega integrated graphic's HBCC some HBC of another sorts for any Raven Ridge APU(First Generation) SKUs do not offer any HBM2.

Let me make myself perfectly clear! This Raven Ridge does not have Vega Graphics if all of that Vega IP can not be functional, including that HBCC/HBC(Raja Engineered That) IP in Vega. So AMD better make with the APUs on an interposer very soon! And with regards to the first generation of Raven Ridge APUs there better be some eDRAM/Whatever to act as HBC in HBM2's stead or that integrated graphics will be called Vega/Gimped by me. I want an APU with at least one stack of HBM2 2.5D stacked on an interposer along with the Zen cores/GPU die, the HBM2 3D stacked on top of the processor's die, or some eDRAM provided to act as HBC for that Vega HBCC to utilize.

September 15, 2017 | 01:46 PM - Posted by Goofus Maximus

I've been playing CS, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Path of Exile, and others, with nothing but a Pentium G3220 CPU and a GPU of... Pentium G3220. It goes well with my 1280x1024 monitor.

Maybe a gfx card would help, but my current setup does well enough for me, so why pay extra?

September 15, 2017 | 08:28 PM - Posted by CNote

If it works... I had a radeon x1300 for like 5 years until I got a GT 450 and never really had any problems playing the games I liked, it died so I upgraded. Now though I'm a little spoiled.

September 16, 2017 | 04:51 PM - Posted by JohnGR

I was playing Call Of Juarez with a 7600GT and when running in the woods it was dropping at single digit frames per second. But I was enjoying the game, so I didn't really cared. Many years latter I was playing Borderlands with a 9800GT having a GT 620 as a PhysX card at 720p at around 30 fps. Enjoyed that game also.

When the game is good, usually it doesn't matter. Only at multi player games, or games where you can't afford not having an ultra smooth movement, a good graphics card is really a necessity. In all other cases, how good the game really is, is what matters.

September 16, 2017 | 11:16 AM - Posted by Anonymousdfdf3 (not verified)

No need to