GDC 15: Intel and Raptr Partner for PC Gaming Optimization Software

Subject: Graphics Cards | March 4, 2015 - 09:26 PM |
Tagged: GDC, gdc 15, Intel, raptr, GFE, geforce experience

One of NVIDIA's biggest achievements in the past two years has been the creation and improvement of GeForce Experience. The program started with one goal: to help PC gamers optimize game settings to match their hardware and make sure they are getting the top quality settings the hardware can handle and thus the best gaming experience. AMD followed suit shortly after with a partnership with Raptr, a company that crowd-sources data to achieve the same goal: great optimal game settings for all users of AMD hardware.

Today Intel is announcing a partnership with Raptr as well, bringing the same great feature set of Raptr to users of machines with Intel HD Graphics systems. High-end users might chuckle at the news but I actually think this feature is going to be more important for those gamers that utilize integrated graphics. Where GPU horsepower is at premium, compared to discrete graphics cards, using the in-game settings to get all available performance will likely result in the most improvement in experience of all the three major vendors.

Raptr will continue to include game streaming capability and it will also alert the users to when updated Intel graphics drivers are available - a very welcome change to how Intel distributes them.

Intel announced a partnership to deliver an even better gaming experience on Intel Graphics. Raptr, a leading PC gaming utility now available on Intel Graphics for the first time, delivers one-button customized optimizations that improve performance on existing hardware and the games being played, even older games. With just a little tweaking of their PC settings a user may be able to dial up the frame rate and details or even play a game they didn’t think possible.

The Raptr software scans the user’s PC and compares a given game’s performance across tens of millions of other gamers’ PCs, finding and applying the best settings for their Raptr Record system. And Raptr’s gameplay recording tools leverage the video encoding in Intel® Quick Sync technology to record and stream gameplay with virtually no impact on system performance. Driver updates are a snap too, more on Raptr for Intel available here.

Hopefully we'll see this application pre-installed on notebooks going forward (can't believe I'm saying that) but I'd like to see as many PC gamers as possible, even casual ones, get access to the best gaming experience their hardware can provide.

Video News

March 4, 2015 | 09:50 PM - Posted by fkr

i hate installing drivers through secondary software, sooner or later they screw it up.

I do agree that this could be better for the integrated graphics users. I personally never agree with what the software recommends. I want different types of settings depending on what type of game it is and geforce experience never seems to get it right for me.

March 5, 2015 | 12:46 AM - Posted by Goofus Maximus (not verified)

I was wondering if I should try this with my G3220. Really though, there aren't many things to optimize with this thing, and I doubt those of us on the low end of the Haswell Iris totem-pole will get much crowdsourced loving...

Strangely, the only real problems I have are with older legacy games like Diablo 1 and Sacred Gold. All the newer games run just peachy for me.

March 5, 2015 | 02:42 AM - Posted by Branthog

Boy, has Raptr gone downhill. The whole reason to use Raptr was to track your game play time. Now it wants you to use it as your gaming overlay, your gaming screenshot taker, your video recording software, your streaming software, your social network, your deals-network, your chat client... and because of the new console limitations *doesn't even track play time on consoles anymore*.

Once a nice limited-focus solution totally bloated beyond all recognition.

March 5, 2015 | 02:49 AM - Posted by JohnGR

This shows that Intel is getting more serious with graphics and gaming.

March 5, 2015 | 05:07 AM - Posted by renz (not verified)

personally never really like this kind of software. just keeping GFE on my PC because of shadowplay. if shadowplay can be controlled directly from nvidia control panel i would not keep it on my PC

March 5, 2015 | 10:52 AM - Posted by Dusty

With Raptor being partnered with AMD and Intel now, they should have a pretty good market to penetrate. My biggest complaint with using Raptor so far with my Radeon GPU is that it doesn't optimize very well for 1440p. Some games will be set to 1080p and higher image quality settings, which ends up looking much worse than 1440p with lower settings. One note about the drivers, it seems to pull right from the driver update site, so as soon as AMD or Intel push a driver to their site, Raptor should be able to notify you. I notice it even lets you pull beta drivers if you want to.

March 5, 2015 | 11:51 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Sad day for Ryan shrout.
Last time when raptr got hacked, he tried to steer away ppl from the 970-gate by saying AMD had bigger problems (even if AMD had nothing to do with it).

How will he do that next time Raptr gets hacked now that Intel is a partner too ?

Hard time for nV PR force :(

March 5, 2015 | 03:45 PM - Posted by nathanddrews

I'm not installing more **** on my PC. But seriously, when is Steam going to release its version of this?

March 6, 2015 | 12:42 PM - Posted by collie

I duno about the resta you but I have always been able to get better performance with tweaking rather than Raptr.