Fix Coming for AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition

Subject: Graphics Cards | November 29, 2015 - 05:25 PM |
Tagged: amd, graphics driver, radeon, crimson

Users have been reporting that the latest AMD graphics driver, Radeon Software Crimson Edition, has been incorrectly setting fan speeds. Some users report that the driver spins up fans to 100% and others report that they slow down to 30% regardless of load.

Over the weekend, AMD acknowledged the issue and claim that a fix is intended for Monday.

Some users also claim that the card will stick with that fan setting until it cooks itself. This seems odd to me, since GPUs (and CPUs of course) are now designed to down-volt if temperatures reach unsafe levels, and even cut power entirely if heat cannot be managed. We haven't really seen reports of graphics cards cooking themselves since the Radeon HD 5000 series implemented hardware in response to Furmark and OCCT. That said, the driver bug might some how override these hardware protections.

In the mean time, you'll either want to keep an eye on your fan settings and reset them as necessary, or roll back to the previous driver. AMD didn't comment on the high fan speed issue that some were complaining about, so I'm not sure if this fix will address both issues.

Video News

November 29, 2015 | 05:53 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

You can over ride this problem if you use the older Sapphire Trixx Utility. Just set a custom fan profile.

November 29, 2015 | 05:54 PM - Posted by Scott Michaud

Will it remove the override if you reboot, launch a game, then close it?

November 29, 2015 | 06:17 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

It seems fine after gaming. I didn't realize there was even a problem with the Crimson software, until I had read your post. I've been using this setup of crimson software since release.

November 29, 2015 | 07:19 PM - Posted by Scott Michaud

This bug doesn't affect every user, but every user should monitor their GPU in case it's affected and they don't realize it.

November 29, 2015 | 06:09 PM - Posted by anon (not verified)

People who burn their gpus probably try to use the Crimson drivers on GTX 580s. Nvidia propaganda machine didn't lose a minute to start spreading rumors that will be used latter as an argument against those who remind that NVIDIA DRIVER PROBLEM.

November 29, 2015 | 06:33 PM - Posted by arbiter

In 2 months all AMD fans will forget this problem but yet still point out time against nvidia. Pretty common thing to happen.

November 29, 2015 | 06:47 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Where is that fully in hardware asynchronous compute, Nvidia! Those VR games are going to be backed up with draw calls, and compute calls, and that in software GPU processing thread dispatch is going to leave FP/other execution resources on the GPU Idle, even with the draw/compute calls backed up to the edge of the observable universe! Get to cracking on that hardware asynchronous compute deficiency Nvidia!

November 29, 2015 | 07:45 PM - Posted by arbiter

Funny how people expect AMD tech added at last minute to be supported on a gpu that was finalized well before it was added. Besides that async is optional part of the spec not required so not having doesn't make maxwell worse.

November 30, 2015 | 11:54 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Really those idle execution units on Nvidia's gimped SKU's will really make for a terrible VR gaming experience. There is just no way that in software GPU processor thread management can ever be as responsive as fully in hardware GPU thread management and dispatch.

Nvidia's hardware can not even have compute tasks interleaved with graphics tasks on its GPU processing threads. No amount of your paid professional damage control for Nvidia will overcome a definite fully in hardware GPU processing thread dispatch deficiency like Nvidia has on its hardware.

Just wait for the newer graphics API's that make more use of the GPUs processing abilities for gaming number crunching as well and gaming graphics workloads especially in the VR gaming systems. Nvidia better get to working on full in hardware GPU processing thread dispatch/scheduling hardware, or those VR games will not play kindly with Nvidia's SKUs! More of the gaming compute workloads normally associated with CPUs will be moved to the GPU to assure the best responses for VR gaming workloads. There is simply too much CPU to GPU intrinsic latency involved for VR gaming responsiveness. As far a the CPU on the motherboard to the GPU on the PCI card goes, it will be better to do more gaming number crunching along side the graphics crunching on the GPU to keep latency to a minimum.

Maybe when AMD's APU's on an interposer for HPC/Workstation market are derived into high end gaming APUs on an interposer, then maybe with the CPU and the GPU connected up more directly to each other with 10s of thousands of parallel traces on an interposer that CPU to GPU intrinsic latency will not be an issue. And when AMD's high end gaming APUs hit the market then the CPU will be on interposer package with the GPU, and not separated by such a latency inducing distance as the current gaming systems have with CPU's way down on the motherboard and the GPUs on the PCI card.

December 1, 2015 | 03:50 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

DX12 isn't going to arrive on your doorstep like a new baby and suddenly everything is changed. It takes several years to make many of the games.

Designing hardware is also a bit of a guessing game. Should NVidia optimize for FUTURE software like DX12 or concentrate on optimizing their hardware and software for currently made games?

(put another way, are you happy AMD has cards that POTENTIALLY work better in future games, or upset that a lot of performance is lost to many DX11 games due to poor drivers... mainly with weaker CPU's like... um.. AMD CPU's for example.)

People that talk about a company like NVidia suddenly having to get their act together really don't understand just how slow the industry moves.

Plus, the people that are concerned over this type of optimization are not a very high percentage of the purchase base.

November 29, 2015 | 07:20 PM - Posted by Scott Michaud

I don't see how AMD's Twitter account is NVIDIA propaganda. That would be quite funny if true, though.

November 29, 2015 | 11:28 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Scott, Can you please shed some light on why the technology press that helped hype up these revolutionary crimson drivers didn't catch this bug?

Cause we all now that you guys can pull these drivers from IHV sftp/https servers atleast week before drivers go public.

If a serious bug was found were you prevented from revealing it publicly because of the signing of nda legal documents?

November 30, 2015 | 05:58 AM - Posted by JohnGR

We are talking about AMD here. If the press knew about this bug, even Zulu in Africa would knew about it by now. It would have been the main article in the front page of the local newspaper. The tech press never let's a chance to punish AMD.

November 30, 2015 | 10:16 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Meanwhile, the tech press is perfectly content to look the other way while Nvidia deliberately gimps their previous-generation cards on the software level in an effort to force - er, no, "encourage" - their users to give them more money for a new card; and while they fake features in software because they stripped the hardware capability; and while they cram ShameWorks down game developers' throats with hardware ID tag detection that deliberately wrecks non-Nvidia hardware performance; and... and... and... and... and... ad nauseum.

November 30, 2015 | 09:29 AM - Posted by Cataclysm_ZA

When I was testing the drivers under NDA, I didn't run into this bug because it doesn't affect my card. My fan speed profiles work just fine in Windows and while gaming. Nothing in the NDA that I signed prohibited me from talking about bugs or software defects.

November 29, 2015 | 06:40 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Just the usual new driver problems! And Gamers will want the loudest sounds from their sound cards, but can not tolerate the fan noise that they for the most part can not hear at all with their headphones on! The only things fried most of the time is some of the gamers brains, stop gaming 24/7 and get some sleep!

November 29, 2015 | 06:42 PM - Posted by A.dee (not verified)

I did notice this, i thought it was my video card. Fan speeds up to 50 % at idle. have to manually set speeds, but this gets overwritten again, even if i manually adjust it.

November 29, 2015 | 06:57 PM - Posted by Daniel Meier (not verified)

Not really an issue for me, but sucks for those who are effected by it. I do however have issues with certain 2D HUD elements in say Fallout 4 and Armored Warfare, they kind of flicker and glitch out.

November 29, 2015 | 07:00 PM - Posted by Searching4Sasquatch (not verified)

Way to kick off this whole new "big push" for driver quality! LOL

November 29, 2015 | 07:24 PM - Posted by Scott Michaud

Heh. Software development is hard. Heck, last night I caught my chess AI deleting pieces with code that never destroys, despawns, or even touches the game thread. I still don't have any idea how that happened.

November 29, 2015 | 07:46 PM - Posted by arbiter

You doing scott as 1 person is 1 thing, This is is a multi billion $ company. How their QC missed it is pretty stupid.

November 29, 2015 | 08:20 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Dude this happens on both sides. Crap gets missed all the time even with Nvidia having more staff than Amd. Should this happen, the answer is no, but it does. I have cards from both companies with Nvidia being in my main rig, so I have seen problems from both sides. Be careful people might think your fanboi horns are coming out.

November 30, 2015 | 12:10 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

"people might think your fanboi horns are coming out"

arbiter never, ever puts them away.

November 30, 2015 | 01:28 AM - Posted by pdjblum

You have to be being ironic; otherwise, we are living in different dimensions. In mine even IOS and Android have significant bugs from time to time, and in my universe, they are a few orders of magnitude bigger than AMD.

November 30, 2015 | 04:47 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Dude I hope you read what you wrote, because you make no sense at all, except maybe about android and IOS having bugs.

November 30, 2015 | 10:20 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

It made perfect sense to me. What part didn't you understand?

November 30, 2015 | 11:30 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

If you say so dude. (lol)

December 1, 2015 | 09:47 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Yeah, that's what I thought.

December 2, 2015 | 06:40 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Get over yourself bro.

December 3, 2015 | 10:32 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

No seriously, what part of what he said didn't you understand? I can explain it to you, I'm pretty good at explaining things to children so that they understand it.

December 3, 2015 | 03:04 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

You are being a idiot bro. You are being a sarcastic jackass s talking about nothing. Bring something to the conversation, and not just talk out your ass to just do so. If anyone is being the child it is you brilliant one. I don't mind some jaw jacking back and forth to a degree, but I'm done talking to you about bullshit. Bring something constructive to the table about the subject or let it go. Enjoy your day.

December 3, 2015 | 03:39 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I tried to be constructive from the start. I asked you - I deliberately asked you - what part of the comment didn't you understand. YOU were the one who brought the sarcastic jackass response to it, and have acted childish in every response since then.

So I'll ask again - what part of his comment didn't you understand? Because it made perfect sense to me.

December 3, 2015 | 04:08 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Dude I was being sarcastic when I told him that he doesn't make sense. I got it the first time, but I guess the sarcasm went over your head and if you notice he did not respond nor did anyone else except you, because it flew right by you. But you are wanting to continue a nothing conversation, which is why I said let it go, but you are still going like like the energizer bunny. Dude it's a done deal let's move on.

December 3, 2015 | 04:23 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Edit* My bad bro I screwed up. I should not have feed the troll. (lol) Have a nice day.

November 29, 2015 | 08:13 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

AMD cards throttle themselves before they overheat... It is a function in their BIOS.

I call BS on anyone saying they fried their card.

Remember AMD cards did all the BTC & ALT coin mining...

November 29, 2015 | 08:34 PM - Posted by Signothorn (not verified)

I had this problem, and it also overrode fan controls when opening VLC and even windows photo viewer, but I eventually fixed it on my end. I pulled my lan cable and booted into safe mode. I uninstalled all AMD software, deleted the AMD folder, and even uninstalled the microsoft generic driver in device manager. After rebooting in normal mode, I reinstalled Crimson, then plugged the lan cable back in. After that, I had no problems. I think, at least in my instance, there was something left from CCC that I didn't thoroughly remove before installing Crimson, and Overdrive conflicted with the global setting and individual game settings, when there was only a global setting previously in CCC.

November 29, 2015 | 09:41 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

3rd party Fan programs probably not playing nice. MSI Afterburner etc.

November 29, 2015 | 10:15 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I use MSI Afterburner w/ my Fury X & Radeon Software Crimson is interfacing well........AB can still hook onto the drivers just fine from a monitoring standpoint & I didn't have to reinstall AB either.

My experience to date..............

November 29, 2015 | 10:08 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Just downloaded Radeon Software Crimson 15.11 drivers & set all up on my Fury X & I can clearly see the performance improvements w/ my card in games & I really like the look, feel & polish of the new AMD Radeon Software.

The only issue that I have w/ this software is the exact same one I had w/ CCC & the culprit is AMD.........please, PLEASE write full driver setting access into this new interface, AMD! I have owned 2 R9 series cards (290X & Fury X), I have noted that the hardware is much better than it appears to most & the DRIVERS are also written much better than they appear....the big ISSUE is that, for some reason that I just can't understand, AMD will not provide user access to these deep driver settings thru their interface software then AMD will preset these driver settings that either aren't compatible w/ certain game coding or aren't optimized for certain game coding so the GPU's stumble....so an AMD user has to use a 3rd party software (ATI Tray Tools or Radeon Pro) to gain access to fully unlock the card's potential, especially in D3D games. This is asinine, AMD! Hopefully they're reading this blog but if not, Ryan would you please send them this posting. IMHO, this is 1 of the big sticks that Nvidia is employing w/ their NVCP (now GFE) that is causing most AMD users to drop AMD & go to Nvidia......Nvidia PROVIDES deep driver settings access thru their GPU control software for both OpenGL AND D3D games so the USER can DECIDE on how they want to use the GPU w/ the games that they play. Hopefully AMD is really listening this time...........

November 30, 2015 | 01:50 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

AMD HAS NO DRIVERS

November 30, 2015 | 10:23 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Yes they do; you're commenting on an article about them. There's all kinds of articles all over the 'net about them.

Here, let me help you: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=amd+drivers

....ohh, wait. You were being snide and sarcastic. And you failed.

Don't be such an infant.

November 30, 2015 | 04:43 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

you have to use DDU when moving from CCC to Crimson. On my first install i didnt use DDU and had all sorts of issues with Crimson not saving my overclock after restart and spinning my fan up. Second install used DDU no issues runs smooth.

November 30, 2015 | 10:16 AM - Posted by donut (not verified)

No problems here. r9 280

November 30, 2015 | 11:30 AM - Posted by Batismul (not verified)

Can't believe people still bought that overpriced Fury X. The better card in that price range is clearly the 980Ti
Or they are just uninformed or just blind fanboys...

November 30, 2015 | 12:09 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Says the Nvidia shill.

November 30, 2015 | 04:41 PM - Posted by arbiter

says pretty much every review site out there, also can get 980ti for sub 600$ now. fury x still 10% more.

November 30, 2015 | 06:27 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

You seem to be conveniently forgetting two things. One, that AMD cards also got cheaper, and you can also get a Fury X for sub $600. Two, that neither Nvidia nor AMD cut their MSRP's, and that the price cut was done by select retailers, in select markets, for Black Friday through Cyber Monday and however long they decide to keep doing it.

Also, the source for this article is an article at another site that apparently used WCCFtech as THEIR source.

November 30, 2015 | 06:30 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I temporarily forgot which article I was commenting on - the source for the article about the price drops you're talking about was from another article that sourced WCCFtech. Not THIS article.

December 1, 2015 | 01:32 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

And just like that this story is over. The hotfix has been released as a new posted driver as of 11/30

December 1, 2015 | 05:44 AM - Posted by siriq

Story is not over. Users are still reporting extreme amount of bugs even in the hotfix driver.

December 1, 2015 | 09:44 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Yes this story is over. Other bugs are not related to this story.

December 1, 2015 | 02:09 PM - Posted by siriq

Unfortunately fan control issue still exist.

December 3, 2015 | 10:34 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Cite your source.

December 1, 2015 | 04:17 PM - Posted by siriq

Even more users are reporting the same issue about the fan control.

December 2, 2015 | 04:36 PM - Posted by -- (not verified)

As far as this burning up cards...... im having a hard time buying the internet talking heads.

If your card overheats it shuts off, thermal protection DUH. You'd have to be really going overboard to burn a card up.

Hell i've even abused a test card to the point it wouldn't crank up before a 20 min cool down..and this card has been overheated 10+ times.

Still works.

So these people saying I played a game 1 time and roasted my card.... b/s . THEY KILLED IT, and they are blaming the driver to get a freebee from AMD.

December 3, 2015 | 10:33 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

^ all of this.