Amazon, Newegg and others offering partial refunds on GTX 970 purchases

Subject: Graphics Cards | February 19, 2015 - 01:51 PM |
Tagged: nvidia, memory issue, GTX 970, geforce

It looks like some online retailers are offering up either partial refunds or full refunds (with return) for those users that complain about the implications of the GeForce GTX 970 memory issue. On January 25th NVIDIA came clean about the true memory architecture of the GTX 970 which included changes to specifications around L2 cache and ROP count in addition to the division of the 4GB of memory into two distinct memory pools. Some users have complained about performance issues in heavy memory-depedent gaming scenarios even though my own testing has been less than conclusive

Initially there was a demand for a recall or some kind of compensation from NVIDIA regarding the issue but that has fallen flat. What appears to be working (for some people) is going to the retailer directly. A thread on reddit.com's Hardware sub-reddit shows quite a few users were able to convince Amazon to issue 20-30% price refunds for their trouble. Even Newegg has been spotted offering either a full refund with return after the typical return window or a 20% credit through gift cards.

To be fair, some users are seeing their requests denied:

"After going back and forth for the past hour I manage to escalated my partial refund to a supervisor who promptly declined it."

"Are you serious? NewEgg told me to go complain to the vendor."

So, while we can debate the necessity or vadidity of these types of full or partial refunds from a moral ground, the truth is that this is happening. I'm very curious to hear what NVIDIA's internal thinking is on this matter and if it will impact relationships between NVIDIA, it's add-in card partners and the online retailers themselves. Who ends up paying the final costs is still up in the air I would bet.

Our discussion on the original GTX 970 Issue - Subscribe to our YouTube Channel for more!

What do you think? Is this just some buyers taking advantage of the situation for their own gain? Warranted requests from gamers that were taken advantage of? Leave me your thoughts in the comments!

Further reading on this issue:

Source: Reddit.com

February 19, 2015 | 01:57 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Overclockers.co.uk are also accepting refunds for the below brands and have been since the issue came alight.

February 19, 2015 | 02:13 PM - Posted by fkr

this definitely works. I tried to tell you guys yesterday on twitter so maybe it would make it to the live show but oh well I am glad your readers are getting an opportunity to see this.

I spends $1,000's at amazon and I am also a prime member. I also told the person in chat that I use the card for professional work. I did not have to escalate to a supervisor and the whole process was about 20 minutes. It was painless on my side.

they gave me 20% refund. I promptly repaid their support by spending that $75 plus some more.

this more or less kills newegg for me now. This type of support merits my purchasing power.

February 19, 2015 | 02:19 PM - Posted by JohnGR

Probably Nvidia pays the bill. But they can't come out and say so in public. And even if they answer to a question from you, they will probably say that it wasn't their idea, that the card works as advertised and that they can't stop retailers from offering refunds. They are free to do it if they feel they should. Probably they will also add that the percentage of people returning their cards are far less than the percentage of those who don't bother.

February 19, 2015 | 02:41 PM - Posted by Alex Battaglia (not verified)

My brother just got his RMA refund today for both his 970s through EVGA and newegg. Great to see the e-retailers turning around on this issue.

February 19, 2015 | 02:58 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Nvidia's channel partners stepping up for the partial refunds, I wonder how many of them earned a handy profit during the AMD bitcoin/coin mining craze, But their customers sure are not happy with Nvidia. These online retailers probably have these costs factored in to their overall pricing so they can afford the discounts when things go wrong, maybe even a little trade up extras, if the customer wants to switch to the red team, and return the G(imped)TX 970 for Store credit.

February 19, 2015 | 03:07 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Its not surprising that Newegg declines a partial refund and Amazon gave the guy 20%. If you complain enough to Amazon they will bend over backwards for you.

February 19, 2015 | 03:14 PM - Posted by Master Chen (not verified)

>Newegg
Finally.

"It's over, noVideo is finished." (c) FIX3R

February 19, 2015 | 04:43 PM - Posted by kenny1007

I can confirm that Newegg is doing it too. I got a full refund on a card that i purchased on November 4, 2015.

February 24, 2015 | 09:58 AM - Posted by JeremyFrom 2112 (not verified)

Purchased in November, 2015? You and I should talk.

February 24, 2015 | 04:14 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Yes November 2015. So you returned it before you got it. Oh yea thats right it possible with amazon yesterday shipping.look it up on YouTube its awesome

February 19, 2015 | 06:14 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Oxymoron = I actually like the product/I’d prefer a 30% refund and keep the card

I’m 100% in favour of the full refund and return offer (it’s was disgraceful retailers dragged their feet for so long) but I have to laugh at the chancers acting just as almost as bad as Nvidia trying to scam a percentage back and keeping the card they are so obviously upset about*

*To be fair Amazon did give them that option and I've no idea if they classed them as a high spending frequent customer so it was chalked down to good will on their side.

February 19, 2015 | 08:04 PM - Posted by Brian W (not verified)

I like the card as well, and I am one of the people that requested and received the 20% discount from Newegg. It isn't about trying to scam the retailer and just get some money in my pocket. For me it's entirely about principle. My hope is seriously that any retailers offering partial refunds will pursue and receive compensation for any losses they incur. I am totally aware that Nvidia is solely responsible for this whole controversy, and I want the weight of it to fall squarely on their shoulders. In the meantime while Nvidia is dragging their feet, some retailers are stepping up to the plate, and earning loyal customers in the process.

February 19, 2015 | 11:58 PM - Posted by BSODenthusiast (not verified)

Good for you, sir. You made the world a better place.

Unfortunately, your principle is laughable in Asian. But fortunately, people can't refund products in Asia. Heheh.

February 20, 2015 | 11:52 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Since it's the principle that matters to you, how exactly did Nvidia do anything morally wrong? On their site, the specs were correct, and the card performs as promised. Do you really think that the tech/review sites cared if they had 100% accurate information, or that they likely uploaded any rumour or perceived truth as it came to appease their followers? This isn't Nvidia's fault, and they shouldn't give back a dime. As far as complaining goes, that's subject to the manager you get and how willing they are to just give you what you want to get you out of their hair.

February 21, 2015 | 07:15 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Wtf.
There site clearly lied. You have no idea.
Go to change.Org and view the petition. There is a screen grab of nvidias site before they changed it. Omg deluded fanboy. Its true live is blind.

February 21, 2015 | 08:09 PM - Posted by Brian W (not verified)

Nvidia themselves have admitted the specs were incorrect. I didn't accuse them of doing this intentionally, or anything morally wrong. It's very possible the incorrect information was simply an error. However, whether it was an accident, or intentional, the actual specs compared to the published specs do degrade performance at a certain level. When running sli at resolutions 1440 and above, frame times suffer, leading to jittery performance/inconsistent frame rates. These are generally the only scenarios where a user will tap into the slower VRAM, leading to this issue. It is for this reason Nvidia should be held accountable. As far as principle goes, Nvidia is acting like this isn't a problem. When they're saying things like "The card performs as designed", to me that's they're way of trying to conceal the real issue. Of course it performs as designed....anything ever designed performs as it is designed. The issue is how it was advertised, and what we as consumer thought we were buying.

February 19, 2015 | 07:00 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Superbiiz.com is not offering partial refunds or accepting returns.

February 19, 2015 | 07:58 PM - Posted by Brian W (not verified)

I was able to get a 20% refund from Newegg. It took some effort, but in the end it was worth the $140 I got back on my two cards combined. If anyone is interested in reading about my efforts to get it, it can be seen at http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/311977-amazon-and-newegg-issuing-20-...

February 19, 2015 | 10:48 PM - Posted by TheGame21x (not verified)

I was able to get a 30% refund on my GTX 970 purchase from Amazon because I was within the 30 day return window! So happy with their CS!

February 20, 2015 | 02:34 AM - Posted by P0ci (not verified)

lol partial refund

February 20, 2015 | 07:18 AM - Posted by Newegg can suck it! (not verified)

I never liked Newegg from the first time I ordered from them and the midget that broke the hookers back was when they took the PS4's and bundled them for 1k$ or more.

They tried to have a company take one of my comments down before but the company(sent me email) wouldn't do so.

February 20, 2015 | 07:30 AM - Posted by collie

so I keep thinking about this, I get the refund idea, "If ya dont want it give it back and get a refund" is fair and clean. This whole paying you to keep a gpu you actually like? the only posible word is "American".
Vote for liars, make lying reporters superstars, create false education to teach children lies, lie to your self about the dangers of your life style, have an extortionist medical system and call it the "Best In the world", in fact constantly call yourself #1 when every statistic shows that you are only #1 at consumption and waste, that's all fine, that's all just the way of the world.
BUT someone fails to mention the exact nature of their new memory architecture? "FUCK YOU, PAY ME! Oh and it's not about the money, it's bout the principle."

No hate on anyone, not bitching out any other comment or anyone in particular, this is just sooooooooooo American.

Oh, and that hot coffee you gave me? It didn't have any warnings about the fact it was hot. Hope you have a good layer.

February 20, 2015 | 08:11 AM - Posted by collie

And preemptively on any "The retailers did this voluntarily" Nothing a corporation does is out of kindness, it is to maximize profits. The legal team sits down with marketing and decide it's cheaper than a lawsuit AND worth the good will.

February 22, 2015 | 05:31 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

what is your country???

February 23, 2015 | 09:52 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Oh please. I don't owe any corporation anything, especially when they flat out lie about their product. The card performs well and I would rather not go about the hassle of returning it so I took my partial refund.

It's not about the principle, it's about Nvidia lying to their customers for months about specs that the 970 didn't have. If they hadn't lied, this wouldn't be an issue, but they did (and knowingly so) so they deserve anything that happens to them at this point. So, yeah, I'll take my money, thanks.

February 26, 2015 | 07:03 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

And you're suchhhhhhhhh a douchey fucker

February 20, 2015 | 12:32 PM - Posted by fkr

well the coffee case was overturned in the court of appeals so there is that.

the fun thing is to bash americans but not state what great country you are part of.

the question is, is what nvidia did for 5 months correct and fair?

i do not think so. they should have advertised the card correctly as that is how I make purchasing decisions.

I came from CF 7950's (r9 280) OC'd to 1200MHZ on the core. those two cards have equal processing power to the gtx 970. I just wanted another gig of GDDR. I was maxing out those cards at 1440p in games like rome 2 total war and a few of the new titles. now I get a new card and I start gaming and I notice that the card just stops at 3.5GDDR usage.

I did not want to spend the amount of money that I did for 0.5GDDR increase. Now I went through about 5 7950's trying to find a pair that would run at higher temps and maintain that 1200MHz core clock. I sold those cards and I am not going through the hassle of trying to find that combo again.

So I cannot really just give the card back for a refund as I have nothing to replace them with. I would have just waited for AMD's next offering if I knew what I know now. So a partial refund is a fair option as it takes the financial hurt away from my purchase and now I have no complaints.

and please stop bashing other peoples countries as it does nothing productive. We are a very large country and it is very difficult to provide great services across that size of land mass. If you want to talk about our education then talk about harvard, princeton, yale, uc berkley, cornell, or even just compare your country to state university system of new york (new york has over 60 state universities, these are publicially funded). If you want to talk about health services then you would be hard pressed to find a better hospital anywhere in the world that is better than the mayo clinic.

In america we do have the best of the best in just about any category it is just an unfortunate reality that at our size we just cannot provide those type of services to everybody but if you are smart and you work hard there are infinite possibilities.

we went to the moon, we invented computers, the internet, cell phones, email, video games, chemo therapy, gps, leds, lasers, microwave ovens, assembly lines, traffic lights, first massive highway system, carbon dating.

we have come to the aide of other countries when in need. we are not as bad as you have presumed.

remember what mom said growing up, if you do not have anything nice to say then do not say anything at all. make your mom proud.

February 20, 2015 | 02:10 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Pure Comedy Gold :-)

"we invented computers" I had no idea Charles Babbage & later Alan Turing happened to be Amuricans.

February 20, 2015 | 03:06 PM - Posted by fkr

I absolutely agree that others were well involved in the process and way to pick up on that one thing, you could have mentioned Konrad Zuse and the z1 also (the first programmable computer). I don't thing Babbage actually ever made the "analytical engine".

what I was more referring to is the IBM and apple computers. these were the first of what would be considered PC's. the world would not be the same place if it were not for these companies and others like microsoft and intel.

You can throw others like the MITS Altair into this if you wanted.

maybe you are right and all of earth's lives would be better if n. america was never ransacked by the europeans.

February 21, 2015 | 10:35 AM - Posted by laffz (not verified)

Your Mom also told you to be honest...

NASA was largely comprised of Canadians when you went to the moon.

You did not invent computers, that was England. You did not invent personal computers, that was Italy.

The internet was created by a Swede, the world wide web was the American contribution. The world wide web runs ON the internet and was not even the first global use of the internet.

You are correct about cell phones, which today are responsible for a lot of distraction and lack of productivity when they were invented for convenience and to save time. A 20 minute text conversation can be had by voice in less then 5% of that time.

You are correct about email, which is responsible for the majority of bandwidth usage globally and was the primary proliferation pathway for viral infections, fraud and identity theft for many years after it went public.

You are correct about video games, which I enjoy, thanks for that.

Chemotherapy was invented by a German dating back to the early 1900's and involves treating illness or disease with chemicals. The term does not exclusively apply to cancer treatment, as you would have people believe, to suit your pro-american agenda, and it's usefulness against cancer was discovered by accident, when some allied mustard gas containers erupted in a German air raid. This is about as far removed from actively inventing it as you can get.

You are correct about GPS, which US citizens seem equally inept at using as the maps that came before it. ;)

I could go on but I'm already tired of pointing out the fallacies in your post, which have been done ad nauseum elsewhere on the www.

It's unbelievable that the smallish group of U.S. citizens that still thinks the way you do does not understand why you are not respected or liked in most places around the world.

My girlfriend and her cousin went to the Netherlands, proudly displaying the Canadian flag on their packs, and were spit on and accused of being Americans hiding behind another nation's flag. They're dutch cousin had to step in and set things straight as it was getting ugly. My girlfriend didn't understand this until they met some actual Americans wearing Canadian flag patches that asked them if they were really Americans.

Please stop pissing in the community pool and save it for the one in your own backyard.

February 22, 2015 | 05:30 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

and what country are you from???

February 24, 2015 | 03:36 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

your country spits on people and you think Americans are bad???

February 22, 2015 | 10:21 AM - Posted by collie

Well here's what my mom actually taught me, "Ignoring the truth because they make you look bad isn't good for anyone"

The American system has been bastardized through corrupt ruling practices to a point where it is unfairly in favor of the rich, and even tho most Americans are fully aware of that fact there is still a over-whelming belief that with hard work anyone can reach the top. That's not optimistic, it's delusional. Beyond that defending a nation with how well the elite live is a waste of time, a nation can only be understood by how it treats its poorest class.

But that's not actually important. Technological achievement does not belong to a country, nor to any single individual, modern technology is the achievement of human development as a whole, the slow progression that started with the mastering of fire and simple tools. No individual can build a space-station from raw ore and sand.

It would be hard to deny that the mayo clinic is the best in the world. It would be impossible to deny that the mayo clinic charges exclusionary rates so it's only purpose is to extend the lives of the highest class.

The simple fact is, and this is the saddest part, you can not dismiss a negative by arguing a conceived positive.

I'm happy for you, as an individual that you got some monetary satisfaction as an apology for the false(ish) advertising even though that money didn't come from the guilty party it came from an inocent re-seller in a calculated PR move. However that's not why I am bothering to respond.

The fact is that the thing the rest of the world hates so much about America is the refusal of criticism. If I criticize the american system you are right there with the "Here's how fucking awesome we are!!!" The world already knows the best parts of the US, but it the US aware of it's worst parts?

And as far as my country of origin? Why is that Important. Why would you assume that I'm not an American? Is it simply that Americans love America? Real Americans never say anything bad about 'merica? Some people within the borders understand the utter hopelessness of the modern american dream. The fact is I live about an hour from your border, but I was a Reagan youth, I cheered for Hulkamania, I dreamed the american dream, I cried in kindergarten, just like all the other kids, when teacher told us Canadians cant be the President of the United States. I've also lived long enough to see what has become of your country as a whole, and just keep hearing you shouting your greatness as it crumbles around you. A but melo-dramatic but I just caught a wave and went with it.

Also, you should be aware that some of the things you credited to America was kinda NAZI stuff, stolen Nazi scientists and well, before you are so proud of IBM you should know it's histor http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_during_World_War_II

February 22, 2015 | 11:47 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Really guys? A pisssing match over countries? I don't think we are anymore proud than the Chinese but despite what they do to their citizens they get a free pass? I mean I'd probably hate Anerica if I lived in the Middle East but at least I might have a reason. The rest of you are nuts, but have the right to an opinion. I'm just floored here, and honestly the American that took the bait you should have just let them have their hate, politicians run this country in some corrupt way we try to change but can't find a way out of short of a good old fashioned bloody revolution because they all lie. Forigners cheered our choice of Obama and I can see that honeymoon is over but he lied to us and I'm not sure how we could have known that. Alternatively we could have elected the "other guy" and things would still be the same. If you guys think our Empire (yes that's what it is now) is falling then just enjoy the show and don't make yourselves sound like jerks. We do some cool things and we do some shitty things, I suppose everyone else is perfect though. Corporations only care about money so yeah if they lied about specs they should get the only punishment they might take seriously, of course this will just be a little dent in profits this quarter. Resume your bashing or talk about technology... I just thought the hate a nation thing was off track and uncalled for.

March 23, 2015 | 03:58 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Oh captain my captain ... Q_Q

February 20, 2015 | 12:35 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

It seems for some people principles have a $ value.

February 22, 2015 | 11:15 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

As far as principles having a dollar value, it's not about putting money in my pocket, but penalizing Nvidia for what they've done. Sure, we could all just say, "Now Nvidia, you know you shouldn't have done this. Now don't you do it again!" For them to take it seriously, they need more than just a talking to and slap on the wrist.

February 20, 2015 | 01:36 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I just read this article, browsed the comments, contacted amazon by online chat, and had a full refund label in 15 minutes. I ordered mine initially October 9th, and the window for return expired November 10th. I did not moan and complain, i just stated that the product was misrepresented to me and asked what options I had, and that is what was offered.

February 20, 2015 | 03:44 PM - Posted by P0ci (not verified)

Full refund is what you should expect.

Buy AMD you wont regret it

February 20, 2015 | 06:14 PM - Posted by Eric A. (not verified)

I just spoke with newegg and they are refunding my GTX 970 that I bought from them last September. Now is the best time to refund it folks.

This is what I said: "Hi Cody. I bought the MSI GTX 970 4GB that has the 3.5GB VRAM issue that was mislabeled/lied to by nvidia. I would like a refund or at least a partial refund as I have seen people who have this issue online have successfully gotten them with your company. I've been having issues with the card at higher resolutions due to nvidia misinforming about the product. I've contacted MSI and they referred me to contact nvidia about this. I contacted nvidia, and they asked me to contact your company about this problem."

within minutes the man set up the RMA for me.

February 21, 2015 | 10:54 PM - Posted by Convoite (not verified)

Does anyone know if this is happening with 960s also? Im too broke for a 970 so that's my next best option.

February 22, 2015 | 12:52 PM - Posted by SkyrimGamer74 (not verified)

Nothing wrong with the 960. Especially in SLi, it does what it says it will do. 1080p gaming.

February 21, 2015 | 11:22 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Conversation went like this

"hello, I heard that amazon and newegg are offering customers a discount of 20% for members that purchased a gtx 970 due to false advertisement of 4GB when only 3.5 GB of ram is usable. This has unfortunately affected me, and I would too like to receive a partial refund"

Amazon rep- Hello, my name is Deepak. I'll be happy to help you today.
Would you mind waiting a moment while I look into this for you?

Me- Sure Deepak

deepak- would you please just confirm that you were affected, and were only able to use 3.5 gb of used ram?

Me- Yes

Deepak- Okay, I Have processed a refund of 20% back to your account

...... Yeah it's just that easy. Amazon is the shit. Fuck NVIDIA, idgaf I just bought two golden editions this week, and now I only paid $320 each. SUCK IT! 620 for my sli which will smash anything for the same amount of money hahahaha. BOO YAAAA

February 21, 2015 | 11:27 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

after the refund do you get to keep the card?

February 22, 2015 | 03:26 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

so i bought a nvidia geforce gtx 970 2 months ago from best buy any one know if they will give a partial or full refund?

February 22, 2015 | 12:40 PM - Posted by SkyrimGamer74 (not verified)

Bestbuy? Probably not. That's where I also purchased my 970s. Unless you are hellbent on 4K gaming, you won't have any issues with your 970s. A lot of people are making far more of an issue over this than should be. No one was bitching about its performance before the news. Only upgrade choice people have is the GTX 980.And we all know its nearly $250-300 more for very little performance gain.

February 22, 2015 | 07:56 PM - Posted by HackAttackx10 (not verified)

It was only $160 more for me....

February 22, 2015 | 12:36 PM - Posted by SkyrimGamer74 (not verified)

I like how no one bitched about the GTX 970 until this news came out. I have two of the Nvidia branded 970s and I've had no issues that some people are complaining about. Since I careless about 4K resolution in gaming, the GPUs do exactly what I paid for them to do. I would buy another GTX 970 before I ever bought anything AMD.Enthusiasts seem to be about the only ones complaining about this problem. And I feel that many people are just jumping on a bandwagon wanting something back for free. Again, no one was complaining before this fact surfaced. Now everyone wants to jump on the "get compensation bandwagon" The GTX 970 is still the best deal out here for performance for the price in comparison to the high dollar GTX 980.And the 970 is still better than anything AMD has. I'll just hold on to my pair of 970s, I don't want any compensation from Nvidia or anyone else.I just want Nvidia to learn from this mistake in the future.

February 22, 2015 | 03:36 PM - Posted by Earnest Bunbury

I got a rma from newegg for store credit on my 970... good 'cept I have to send in the card, then they issue a credit, and only then do I get to order another card. I think I'll keep the card and go do business with Amazon. You would think newegg had gamers employed there at one time, long ago I guess.

February 23, 2015 | 01:38 AM - Posted by XS7V3N (not verified)

Chatting with Newegg right now. Newegg rep is only offering me 10% refund. See if I can get at least 20%.

February 23, 2015 | 02:04 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

One question I have is when design programs, such as Autocad, require or recommend 4GB of dedicated video memory, how will that affect the performance of those design programs and/or will those programs throw up a message saying that it cannot detect 4GB of memory?

If anyone has/uses Autocad 2013 or 2014 with a GTX 970, please reply on your findings!

Much appreciated!

February 23, 2015 | 01:15 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

been deving in UDK as well as 3ds max in 1080p.
ive yet to get ANY issues at all... or even hit the ceiling with this thing..

im running an MSi 970 with a 4790k 8gigs Ram.
i dev in OC mode.

February 23, 2015 | 12:49 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I was just told Amazon has received a "company wise" memo not to issue partial refunds on this item.

February 23, 2015 | 04:10 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I just got this same response, was told I need to contact the vendor before a partial refund is given.

March 9, 2015 | 12:49 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I know I'm REALLY late on this, but I bought a 970 before the problem was discovered and got the same response from Amazon and that I should take it up with Asus. I then replied to them stating that I heard of others getting 30% refunds on their cards and that the refund can only be issued by the sellers. I also provided two links with articles talking about the VRAM issue. Also stated that I was disappointed by their response to my intial claim.
In 2 hours time, I received an email saying that they were sorry and as a Prime member I should receive quality service. They then said they would be willing to do a partial refund (of 30%) or a full refund.
Which goes to show if you persist they will eventually cave in.

TLDR;Was told they can't do partial refunds, responded with a lengthy email stating that I'm disappointed. Ended up getting 30% back on my purchase.

February 23, 2015 | 06:05 PM - Posted by Bob (not verified)

Nice #LootCrate T-Shirt

February 24, 2015 | 12:30 AM - Posted by Jay28 (not verified)

You got what you paid for noobs. I couldn't even call you "nerds" as it would be an insult to nerds everywhere who actually do their research before buying product. Price per performance this is still an amazing card. Anyone asking for partial credit is obviously just trying to take advantage of a situation.

I bought one knowing everything about this card and am still perfectly happy with what I paid for it. Also, I am running a Philips 28in UHD monitor with display port connection and everything is crystal.

February 24, 2015 | 08:20 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I gladly "took advantage of the situation" and got a partial refund because Nvidia lied about their product and likely would've ignored the issue altogether if it hadn't been exposed as it has. Plain and simple.

I don't understand corporate apologists in cases like these. Nvidia lied. They deserve whatever harm may befall them as a company because they willfully engaged in misinformation. I do not believe for a second that this whole snafu and "information mix up" between their engineering and marketing departments was all one big oopsie. When corporations engage in such activity, they should be brought to taks and held responsible for their actions and suffer the consequences. Otherwise, they will likely continue to engage in such activity in order to test the bounds of what they can get away with.

I bought a GTX 970 because it is indeed a great card for the price but it being a great card for the price is immaterial to the fact that Nvidia misled reviewers and customers about the card's capabilities.

February 24, 2015 | 06:22 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I to bought one knowing the issue. Love the card and have 0 issues with it.

March 31, 2015 | 11:47 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

are you fucking retarded? it was advertised as a full 4gb vram card they have previous gen cards that run better at 4k because they actually have a full 4gb of vram running at the same speed. your comment gave me cancer thank you. taking advantage of a situation? lmao they fucking lied to the public blatantly go kill yourself please.

February 24, 2015 | 09:02 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I'm astonished by the hypocrisy and negativity towards the US in these comments. The US without a doubt has its short comings, but at the end of the when every other nation suffers a financial breakdown, natural disaster or government step down etc etc..... Guess what country is always asked for help and is always willing and first to help!? AMERICA! So when a country looses its commercial plane in the ocean who was their with their Navy and high techery and money spent to assist this country in finding this plane? AMERICA! When Ebola and other major diseases break out in Africa guess whos there's to help? AMERICA! Even after america suffered its own financing crash guess who was there to bail out the banks of the UK, Switzerland, Italy, Germany (and the list is bigger) I just can't remember, out of billions? AMERICA! So when it comes down to it america may seem like it has a chip on its shoulder and we just might, but that does not mean we are better than anyone else and it certainly doesn't constitute the sheer amount of daily hate we get from others. When it comes down to it Americans would be the first to give our shirts off our backs for everyone else! And when it comes to middle east as far as I'm concerned I don't care what the middle east thinks we have done what they are doing there and across Europe is sickening. I would celebrate the day we were able to seperape the extremists and the moderates and nuke them to high hell!( sick, demented, barbaric bastards they are!)

February 24, 2015 | 03:59 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Is this for alll 970s? Or is it just for the base ones? Bc i have the 970 ftw

February 25, 2015 | 08:17 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Newegg refused to do a partial refund for me. They instead offered a free return shipping label for a full refund even though the product was purchased more than 30 days ago. Meh I might just spend a bit more on a 980

March 26, 2015 | 02:47 PM - Posted by chicken- (not verified)

I just contacted newegg customer service. They wouldn't give me a partial refund but they gave me an RMA to return it for full refund. I purchased it 09/20/2014.

I wish I was able to just get the partial refund instead of all of this hassle, but at least I have the option to return it now and I'll think about whether it's worth the bother over the next few days.

March 31, 2015 | 11:45 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

just got 25% tried for 30 but I accepted 25 as it wasn't their fault.... o well I tried and I feel much better about this thing and now it makes me want to buy another and sli these beasts and get another partial refund before this issue is corrected...

March 31, 2015 | 11:45 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)