ASUS Announces ROG Strix GTX 1080

Subject: Graphics Cards | May 28, 2016 - 05:00 PM |
Tagged: asus, ROG, strix, GTX 1080, nvidia

The Founders Edition versions of the GTX 1080 went on sale yesterday, but we're beginning to see the third-party variants being announced. In this case, the ASUS ROG Strix is a three-fan design that uses their DirectCU III heatsink. More interestingly, ASUS decided to increase the amount of wattage that this card can accept by adding an extra, six-pin PCIe power connector (totaling 8-pin + 6-pin). A Founders Edition card only requires a single, eight-pin connection over the 75W provided by the PCIe slot itself. This provides an extra 75W of play room for the ROG Strix card, raising the maximum power from 225W to 300W.

Some of this power will be used for its on-card, RGB LED lighting, but I doubt that it was the reason for the extra 75W of headroom. The lights follow the edges of the card, acting like hats and bow-ties to the three fans. (Yes, you will never unsee that now.) The shroud is also modular, and ASUS provides the data for enthusiasts to 3D print their own modifications (albeit their warranty doesn't cover damage caused by this level of customization).

As for the actual performance, the card naturally comes with an overclock out of the box. The default “Gaming Mode” has a 1759 MHz base clock with an 1898 MHz boost. You can flip this into “OC Mode” for a slight, two-digit increase to 1784 MHz base and 1936 MHz boost. It is significantly higher than the Founders Edition, though, which has a base clock of 1607 MHz that boosts to 1733 MHz. The extra power will likely help manual overclocks, but it will come down to “silicon lottery” whether your specific chip was abnormally less influenced by manufacturing defects. We also don't know yet whether the Pascal architecture, and the 16nm process it relies upon, has any physical limits that will increasingly resist overclocks past a certain frequency.

Pricing and availability is not yet announced.

Source: ASUS

Video News

May 29, 2016 | 03:00 AM - Posted by Also_Quiet (not verified)

Expect the ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 to be available starting June 4. You can choose between the hot-clocked OC version for $639.99 or a stock-clocked variant with a $619.99 MSRP. Stay tuned for more coverage of the card at PCDIY—we have exciting plans for this beautiful beast.
Source:

May 29, 2016 | 03:53 PM - Posted by Scott Michaud

Awesome! Thanks for that!

May 29, 2016 | 03:06 AM - Posted by Xajel (not verified)

Wow, that cooler alone is sexy enough... @ASUS no need to wait for my birthday :D

May 29, 2016 | 05:24 AM - Posted by Nemex

Only 2 display ports, so no go for me with 3x ROG Swift. I hope they includ the VRM into the active cooling this time. I remember running 780ti with 105C+ on the VRM.

May 29, 2016 | 01:34 PM - Posted by zgradt

From what I understand, there's a OC and a base version of the Strix. I'm not sure what the difference is, other than the default clockspeeds.

I was thinking of getting one of these, but they changed one of the displayport ports into an HDMI port. Reasoning that you can hook up an HDMI display alongside your VR goggles. I already do this with the DVI adapter that came with my DK2. I'd rather use the DVI port I wouldn't use otherwise, and save the displayports for the 3 monitor display I don't have the room for.

May 29, 2016 | 01:39 PM - Posted by zgradt

I'm wondering, if you can change the base clock and the boost clock, why would you ever increase the base clock? Does it cause hitching when it goes back and forth or something? I don't get it.

May 29, 2016 | 03:08 PM - Posted by Lurf (not verified)

Prolly gonna buy the OC version of this. Looks like it's gonna be a nice factory OC with good/silent cooling!

May 29, 2016 | 03:26 PM - Posted by Freshie

I'm waiting to have all the custom ones review, but I've always liked MSIs.