ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 970 DirectCU Mini: More Mini-ITX Gaming Goodness

Subject: Graphics Cards | November 29, 2014 - 09:57 AM |
Tagged: pcie, PCI Express, nvidia, mini-itx, GTX 970, graphics card, geforce, directcu mini, DirectCU, asus

ASUS has announced a tiny new addition to their GTX 970 family, and it will be their most powerful mini-ITX friendly card yet with a full GeForce GTX 970 GPU.

Image credit: ASUS

The ASUS 970 DirectCU Mini card will feature a modest factory overclock on the GTX 970 core running at 1088 MHz (stock 1050 MHz) with a 1228 MHz Boost Clock (stock 1178 MHz). Memory is not overclocked and remains at the stock 7 GHz speed.

The GTX 970 DirectCU Mini features a full backplate. Image credit: ASUS

The ASUS GTX 970 DirectCU Mini uses a single 8-pin PCIe power connector in place of the standard dual 6-pin configuration, which shouldn’t be a problem considering the 150W spec of the larger connector (and 145W NVIDIA spec of the 970).

Part of this complete mITX gaming breakfast. Image credit: ASUS

The tiny card offers a full array of display outputs including a pair of dual-link DVI connectors, HDMI 2.0, and DisplayPort 1.2. No word yet on pricing or availability, but the product page is up on the ASUS site.

Video News

November 29, 2014 | 10:42 AM - Posted by collie

That "mITX Breakfast" image, wow. It's just so sick how far mITX has come. Not an MM of wasted space, and so powerful. It's just neat says this old timer, how far we have come in 30 years, just plain cool.

November 29, 2014 | 12:41 PM - Posted by Bill (not verified)

A nice and (somewhat) powerful Mini-ITX system running a fully functioning SteamOS based system would provide some needed competition to MS and Sony in the living room.

I never thought I'd be interested in a gaming PC for the living room, but this stuff is getting too cool not to want it anymore.

November 29, 2014 | 01:28 PM - Posted by jax (not verified)

throw in a PCI riser and you're done :D

November 29, 2014 | 06:21 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

GIGABYTE GV-N970IXOC-4GD has bigger HSF and is loud.

This one is going to squeal even more while running hotter with higher clocks.

December 1, 2014 | 01:25 PM - Posted by Jabbadap (not verified)

Not necessary, gigabyte uses heat pipes, this uses vapor chamber. And the fan is different too; this has hybrid fan(radial/axial hybrid) and gigabyte has axial fan.

And gtx670 mini was quite quiet and cool(hint gk104 and gm204 are pin compatible so they probably just reused pcb from gtx760 DcuII mini and gtx670 dcuII mini):

November 29, 2014 | 11:09 PM - Posted by Gnrl Kitty

Hopefully this one actually comes to North America this time. The last one of these Asus made:
Was released to European markets, but never came to NA.

November 30, 2014 | 03:50 AM - Posted by JohnGR

150W from the PCIe connector and 75W from the PCIe bus. How does this limit the overclocking headroom of the GPU?
Am I missing something?

November 30, 2014 | 12:24 PM - Posted by Sebastian Peak

No, just in comparison to a card like the MSI GTX 970 Gaming for instance, which exceeds the reference power (2x 6-pin PCIe, 150W external power) with a 6-pin + 8-pin setup. I've seen a few numbers that would seemingly hit the 75W board + 150W external limit of 225W on heavily overclocked loads (like the [H] review of that MSI card), but without measuring at the PCIe slot it's hard to know exactly. Most of us test power draw at the wall so it's all an estimate of GPU draw at OC load anyway. Thought it might be worth mentioning, that's all... (Not that too many are buying a mini-ITX card to OC heavily!)

November 30, 2014 | 06:38 AM - Posted by alkarnur

It's so tiny. Luckily, you can get a 290 for $199 now.

BTW, guys, there's a typo in the title: it's "Announces" not "Annouces".

November 30, 2014 | 02:27 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

The SLI connectors amuse me.

November 30, 2014 | 05:35 PM - Posted by Sebastian Peak

Nice. I wonder what a triple-SLI mITX board would look like. Video cards underneath?

November 30, 2014 | 11:06 PM - Posted by Pixy Misa (not verified)

Useful for small ATX or micro-ATX cases. I only have room for one full-length graphics card but I could easily fit a pair of these.

November 30, 2014 | 11:24 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

This is similar to the design they would need to do if they make a dual gpu card. I haven't looked at mitx much stuff since I generally do not want to get give up 4 memory slots.

December 1, 2014 | 02:47 AM - Posted by Shortwave (not verified)

I've yet to encounter a mini-itx case that hasn't fit dual slot GPU's perfectly fine pending it supports a dual-slot GPU.

So I really fail to see why they are pushing these single ones so much.

We don't need smaller GPU's.
We need quieter, lower wat / cooler ones.
But in more efficient and intelligent case designs.
For both the case and the GPU's to now focus on being designed specifically to work with air direction in small cases.

Most of the dual fan GPU's I've tested recently are hardly longer than a mini-itx mobo..

Check out the V1 case by thermaltake for example.
Has a slot in the front of the case to slide in a dual-fan GPU without needing to remove any other system component.
Took me about five minutes to install it in the fully built system.

I'd rather use a dual with better heat dissipation any day.
Till' I see even smaller cases that are good enough to warrent this push.

We're talking smaller than console at that point really.

Screw silly old school case designs with new gear.
Time to get creative, not just shrinking everything possible.
Though that will be a side effect that's not a negative anywho I know.

December 1, 2014 | 02:47 AM - Posted by Shortwave (not verified)

hasn't fit dual FAN GPU's perfectly **

December 1, 2014 | 02:52 AM - Posted by Shortwave (not verified)

PS, when building with mini ITX it's way way better to segregate the gpu's airflow from the mobo. Open gpu designs are good to avoid I found.. If the case doesn't naturally separate the two that is.

Would avoid.

Get a sick twin frozr or one of the new strix coolers.
It will fit in the same case and run much quieter and cooler for much longer. And for a -living- room I'm sure that'll be much nicer on the family.

December 1, 2014 | 05:41 AM - Posted by Justin150 (not verified)

I want one - it is that simple.

But I also want to watercool my next mini-itx build so I want this with a WC full cover block. Yes I know I am being a perfectionist but why play with building PCs if you cannot be an unreasonable PIA!

December 1, 2014 | 03:13 PM - Posted by Shortwave (not verified)

Putting that on a block actually helps it make sense to me..
Hmm.

December 5, 2014 | 10:56 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Any idea when it's coming out? I know they mention no date of availability, but just wondering if any users know..