AMD Releases Updated Raven Ridge Desktop APU Graphics Drivers

Subject: Graphics Cards, Processors | May 18, 2018 - 04:33 PM |
Tagged: Vega, ryzen, raven ridge, Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition, r5 2400g, r3 2200g, amd

Today, AMD released the first driver update for the desktop Raven Ridge APUs since their launch in February of this year.

The new Q2 2018 drivers are based on AMD's current Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition release and bring features such as ReLive and the Radeon overlay to the Vega-powered desktop platform.

We haven't had a lot of time to look for potential performance enhancements this driver brings yet, but we did do a quick 3DMark run on our Ryzen 5 2400G with memory running at DDR4-3200.

Here, we see healthy gains of around 5% in 3DMark Firestrike for the new driver. While I wouldn't expect big gains for older titles, newer titles that have come out since the initial Raven Ridge drive release in February will see the biggest gains.

We are still eager to see the mobile iterations of AMD's Raven Ridge processors get updated drivers, as notebooks such as the HP Envy X360 have not been updated since they launched in November of last year.

It's good to see progress from AMD on this front, but they must work harder to unify the graphics drivers of their APU products into the mainstream graphics driver releases if they want those products to be taken seriously as gaming options.

Source: AMD

May 18, 2018 | 06:39 PM - Posted by ItsDesktopAPUsFineWineTime (not verified)

What about Desktop Raven Ridge's Integrated and Discrete AMD GPUs working at the same time without any driver conflicts?

I'd like to see if Blender Cycles Rendering can make use of Raven Ridge's Integrated Graphics and also any Discrete AMD GPUs, Polaris or Vega SKUs, for Cycles rendering.

I'd love to see more small/very small form factor Desktop Builds done by PCPer that make use of Desktop Raven Ridge "APUs" for some mini desktop sorts of builds.

Any improvements will be welcome but more info on using Desktop Raven Ridge's Integreted Graphics along with some Discrete AMD GPUs(Polaris or Vega) would be welcome also.

That lack of graphics driver updates on mobile Raven Ridge U series SKUs on laptops is what's making me think more about just building a small form factor desktop system around Desktop Raven Rodge and not bothering to update my laptop.

I'd reconsider that if ASUS decides to build a gaming laptop with the Ryzen 5 2400G inside like ASUS did with the Ryzen 7 1700. Hell even the Ryzen 5 2400GE 35 watt Desktop variant in a workhorse laptop could be done and at least the drivers are updated by AMD.

May 20, 2018 | 07:50 AM - Posted by albert89 (not verified)

I like what I'm seeing from AMD. This is the first of many performance gains from AMD's drivers.

May 20, 2018 | 10:30 AM - Posted by ibnMuhammad (not verified)

I was waiting for them to release the Win7 drivers, like they did with the rest of the AM4 platform, even surprisingly motherboard support for the first Ryzen chips. But sadly, it appears they're obeying Microsoft and will not be releasing APU drivers for Win7 :(

And so I was forced to buy their previous (inferior) offering of bulldozer apu's - utter rubbish single-thread perf, even beaten by late Core2 and early i3 CPU's!

I can't go with Intel due to ethical reasons (primarily because of their support of Israel).

I want an efficient and low-power system, so I never pick a discrete GPU (even the lowest spec card uses 20watts on idle!)

So it looks like I'll be forced to stick with the FM2+ platform for a long time to come - unless I downgrade to Win10 spyware.

May 20, 2018 | 05:31 PM - Posted by Zombie101 (not verified)

What a moron win 7 is now a dieing thing and is being dropped by everyone. Plus the new chips more advenced and win7 is old and cann't handle the new modern stuff. If you planned on making new system win 7 cann't take advanage of new hardware and AMD knows this.

If you don't like Win 10 there's always Linux. Win7 is a dieing OS may take time but it dieing.

What kills the older APU is the lack of 3rd lvl stash. I own 7850k and FX 6300 so I know the difference.

May 21, 2018 | 03:47 AM - Posted by WhyMe (not verified)

Says the moron whose using an OS without a spellchecker.

May 21, 2018 | 08:52 AM - Posted by Anonymously Anonymous (not verified)

You should have used "who's" and not "whose". ;)

May 21, 2018 | 01:44 PM - Posted by WhyMe (not verified)

Damn it. :D

May 21, 2018 | 07:40 AM - Posted by M (not verified)

In BF 1 avg -8 FPS compared to older drivers - not ok...