AMD Officially Announces Radeon R9 Fury X and Fury Graphics Cards

Subject: Graphics Cards | June 16, 2015 - 01:22 PM |
Tagged: radeon, hbm, fury x, Fury, Fiji, E3 2015, E3, amd

It's finally official: AMD Radeon R9 Fury X and Fury graphics cards are coming soon. Here's the details you need to know:

AMD Fury X AMD Fury AMD R9 290X
Stream Processors 4096 ?? 2816
Compute Capability 8.6 TFLOPS ?? 5.6 TFLOPS
Transistor Count 8.9 billion ?? 6.3 billion
Price $649 $549 $329
Availability June 24th July 14th Now

There is still a lot of information that AMD is saving for the official release, but those look to be some impressive graphics cards at first glance! The AMD Fury X is the small form factor water cooled version that we saw leaked this weekend while the AMD Fury (non-X) will be air cooled. It wasn't shown on stage though, so we can only guess what it will look like.

AMD's Joe Macri said on stage that the cooler they designed is built for up to 500 watts but that the board was only going to draw 275 watts, while keeping the board temperature down to 50C!

Other tidbits include 6-phase power with 400A (!!) power delivery for overclocking, an 8-LED user addressable array for performance load monitoring and 1.5x performance per watt improvement when compared to the R9 290X. That can help us estimate card performance but we'll dive more into that later.

Finally, though only a tease, AMD did say they were planning a dual-GPU variant of Fiji coming "in the fall."

Video News

June 16, 2015 | 01:25 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

NVidia fans going to hate because they are the most rabid fanbois. Lot of saltiness incoming

June 16, 2015 | 01:32 PM - Posted by obababoy

When idiots like you post stuff that pisses every Nvidia fan off how can they not respond. You are enabling everyone to botch at each other with this stupid red green crap. Grow up and just be happy about what AMD put out today.

June 16, 2015 | 01:46 PM - Posted by Goldmember (not verified)

It takes one to know one right?

June 16, 2015 | 01:48 PM - Posted by obababoy

recalculating route...I am an AMD fan but bitching about green and red is just stupid. They both have ups and downs.

June 16, 2015 | 09:48 PM - Posted by Dark_wizzie (not verified)

That logic... doesn't make sense.

June 16, 2015 | 01:35 PM - Posted by terror_adagio (not verified)

I hope the Fury X you get leaks onto your whole system.

June 16, 2015 | 01:47 PM - Posted by Goldmember (not verified)

The fluid doesn't lead electricity, but it would still be a mess.

June 16, 2015 | 01:50 PM - Posted by obababoy

Doesn't lead electricity? Do elaborate... So you honestly believe even distilled water would be non-conductive after running through multiple areas contacting metal?

June 16, 2015 | 02:00 PM - Posted by Goldmember (not verified)

The fluid used in most systems like that does not lead electricity yes.

June 16, 2015 | 02:01 PM - Posted by Goldmember (not verified)

Not if it's just distilled water no.

June 16, 2015 | 02:02 PM - Posted by obababoy

Gah, you are wrong. The water will pick up conductive particles after running through the system.

June 16, 2015 | 02:08 PM - Posted by Goldmember (not verified)

Gah, what was that? Thats the whole point with a non conducting fluid you know.

June 16, 2015 | 02:25 PM - Posted by obababoy

Again... Distilled water gets conductive over time. Salts from soldering fluxes and other sources will start contaminating the water so it's no longer de-ionized. This has gone on too long lol. You are clearly incapable of being wrong.

The whole thread was in response to a water cooling system that will likely NEVER leak to begin with haha.

June 16, 2015 | 02:39 PM - Posted by Goldmember (not verified)

You are correct sir. I am indeed incapable of being wrong. They call me Mr.Perfect, but you may simply address me as God.

June 16, 2015 | 06:58 PM - Posted by Ben (not verified)

He's right. even distilled water becomes conductive quite quickly as it increases in ions from the metals.

June 17, 2015 | 05:54 PM - Posted by Dusty

Deionized, and distilled water are two different things.

June 16, 2015 | 02:18 PM - Posted by Heavy (not verified)

dude their nothing wrong with water cooled system i havent heard of leaks in a long time in self cantained systems

June 16, 2015 | 11:43 PM - Posted by Anoni (not verified)

No leaks.......go to any of the major Aio cooler makers forums, there are plenty of leeks. Just another point of failure unfortunately

June 20, 2015 | 10:44 PM - Posted by Axe (not verified)

I have had water cooled for years and have build many others with no problems what so ever, move on.

June 16, 2015 | 04:28 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

only if you're a noob, noob.

June 16, 2015 | 01:59 PM - Posted by Goldmember (not verified)

I see some price cuts coming from the green team! ;-)

June 16, 2015 | 02:04 PM - Posted by Anonamoose (not verified)

I don't.

June 16, 2015 | 02:09 PM - Posted by Goldmember (not verified)

Well, hopefully...

June 16, 2015 | 03:00 PM - Posted by Martin Trautvetter

I think Nvidia pre-empted that by announcing the 980 Ti at its current price.

June 16, 2015 | 01:33 PM - Posted by obababoy

Ryan, is the 500w cooler the water cooled one or air? You didn't quite specify. Thanks again for the updates during the stream.

June 16, 2015 | 01:51 PM - Posted by Goldmember (not verified)

You can't really figure that one out? Have you seen any 500W air coolers lately lol.

June 16, 2015 | 01:53 PM - Posted by terror_adagio (not verified)

Windforce?

June 16, 2015 | 02:05 PM - Posted by Goldmember (not verified)

Yes, the new Windforce for 500W (or was it 600W) is big and heavy as hell, (approx twice the weight of their last line up).

June 16, 2015 | 02:56 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Yeah, but works great.

June 16, 2015 | 02:06 PM - Posted by Anonamoose (not verified)

Windfarce, break more PCIe slots, please.

June 16, 2015 | 02:55 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Works fine.

June 16, 2015 | 02:01 PM - Posted by obababoy

Fair enough :)

June 16, 2015 | 01:34 PM - Posted by terror_adagio (not verified)

I don't know how they can claim they have the most power efficient cards.

The only thing new about today is the official pricing and launch timeframe. I am surprised Fury X is only $649. I expected it had to be more than $699. No doubt AMD is taking a loss on this.

June 16, 2015 | 01:41 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

This is the worst comment I've seen in a very long time. You can't be serious.

June 16, 2015 | 01:42 PM - Posted by Dark_wizzie (not verified)

I hope we get benchmarks ASAP!

June 16, 2015 | 01:51 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

AMD coming out swinging after all the silence on the price. I don't doubt that they planned to price this higher, but dropped down after the 980ti release. This is competition gentlemen, this is how it should be.

I wasn't planning on getting the Fury X, but with that price it is hard to say no. All we need are benchmarks now. If this is significantly better than a 980ti or is right up there with it but a strong overclocker I might just bite. There's also supposed to be a nano variant later in the summer that's a cutdown version which will probably be a great price/performance deal.

June 16, 2015 | 02:21 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I like the look of this, small form. Need to see the review of both watercooled and air cooled versions. Personally I prefer custom water cooling loops.

Furyx2 sounds a beast

June 16, 2015 | 02:28 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I have no doubt whatsoever that EK won't waste any time in creating custom full-cover waterblocks for these cards.

Heck, they might have some already.

June 16, 2015 | 02:45 PM - Posted by obababoy

Probably right but I bet AMD will, especially for the dual GPU version.

I have a hard time believing that custom water blocks make lots of money in profits.

June 16, 2015 | 04:30 PM - Posted by Silver Sparrow

I certainly hope so, if the performance matches how good that price tag is its a pair of Fury X for me. I never expected it to be same price as a ref 980ti just mindbogglingly good. Currently a wb 980ti is £650 in the UK (though no stock at all). Lets see what this comes to.

June 16, 2015 | 03:38 PM - Posted by dreamer77dd

I wonder if they will make the Fury X non water cooled in the future around fall time.
I think AMD wont hurt their costume cooled mod market, Especially if they are trying to impress the PC gaming market.
They mentioned overclocking so it makes you wonder why they would have a GPU that you could not add your own water cooling to?

I also think it does not take up more then one PCI Express slots for the each card, right?

June 16, 2015 | 04:05 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

All of the pictures have taken up two slots for the water cooled part. They could easily make a single slot card using water cooling, although they may need to put the pump on the radiator rather than on the card.

June 16, 2015 | 04:52 PM - Posted by extide (not verified)

There will be plenty of partners making air cooled Fury X's .. dont worry..

June 16, 2015 | 03:54 PM - Posted by brambyon

3 Fiji 2 Furious

June 16, 2015 | 04:32 PM - Posted by YTech

Ryan > The AMD Fury X and AMD Fury are the same card. So your table should hold the same data. The only difference is the X is with the water cooler and the other is without.

However, I agree. There was very little information presented which still makes me uncertain if I should go AMD or stay with nVidia.

The R9 NANO does sound interesting, but does it really perform? Perf. per Watt just says it uses less power to run. :(

June 16, 2015 | 04:40 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Fury is the same gpu, but it has been reported as a slightly cut down version. It is possible that it isn't cut down, but just comes with a cheaper cooler, I guess.

June 17, 2015 | 01:00 AM - Posted by Alamo

there are 2 fiji XT and Pro, Fury X is the XT.
rumours are the Fury aircooled is the Fiji Pro, which has lower compute units, but my guess that would be Nano.
and they said that Fury Nano is significantly more performant than 290X, so that means it would be at least around the GTX 980 perf wise.

June 18, 2015 | 04:43 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

They said the Nano has more performance per watt. I don't know if they actually said it performs better than a 290X in absolute terms. It is a tiny card with a small air-cooler. It may be able to come close to a 290X due to the power reduction and performance increases, but it is going to be thermally limited to 175W it seems. The question is, will 175W Fiji-based part outperform a 290X? It is going to be a an extremely powerful card for its size regardless.

June 16, 2015 | 04:38 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Fury is still pretty expensive; I don't know if I will be going that route. I also wanted more info on the 390x, but this is looking more and more like a simple rebrand without much of any updates.

June 17, 2015 | 01:07 AM - Posted by Alamo

doing reviews on 300 series would be bad press for AMD, at least untill they release their new flagship.

300Series will most likely come with 5-10% overclock, double the memory thats about it, overall 5-10% better on benchs at 1080p, and maybe a little more at 4k+
the only idiotic thing from AMD so far is the price of the 300 series, they went up in price compared to the 200 series.

June 17, 2015 | 01:34 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

With twice as much memory, I would expect some price increase. I was hoping that we would get a significant clock speed bump with the hawaii based parts, but it looks like it is going to just be a rebrand. If they had given it a more significant boost, then they probably would have talked about it more.

June 17, 2015 | 02:58 AM - Posted by BillDStrong

They did mention two new features, the power saving that "could" be driver based, but the Super Resolution feature will take a performance hit if it isn't some slightly modified hardware. The scaling down will add overhead without dedicated hardware.

June 16, 2015 | 04:55 PM - Posted by loc

I wonder if Fury cards come with dp -> dl-dvi adapters as many 27" 2560x1440 displays use dl-dvi. I am surprised as new cards have less outputs than previous ones. After all water cooling leaves whole output side of the card free for ports. I am currently using 4 outputs from my Gigabyte GTX970. dl-dvi, sl-dvi, hdmi and DP. Fury cards seems like no go for my current needs. Still eager to see how it performs.

June 18, 2015 | 04:34 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I wouldn't think that it would come with adapters. If they are dual mode DP ports then you can get SL-DVI with a cheap passive adapter. It looks like DL-DVI needs an active adapter which cost a bit more. DVI is a legacy standard at this point. It has not been updated since 1999. These new cards do not have less outputs than old cards, they just have less types of outputs. A single DP port can drive multiple displays, so this card can drive a lot of displays if they have the right connectors.

June 16, 2015 | 05:00 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I just want to throw money at AMD right now. Their stock value must have jumped.

June 16, 2015 | 07:21 PM - Posted by pdjblum

I have been buying for the last three weeks and bought more today. Go AMD.

June 16, 2015 | 06:25 PM - Posted by JohnGR

Just search the names of the two major Nvidia fanboys in the comments. Could not find them. Probably because the cards don't cost $850 and don't need 600W of power to work. Also that Nano card. Oh my. That card is a Nano Nuclear Bomb.

June 16, 2015 | 06:10 PM - Posted by djotter

Video shows render of GPU waterblock around 1:58. Looks like it will have contact points for the VRMs in the loop.

June 16, 2015 | 06:55 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Not impressed until I see benchmarks of real world gaming performance. Alot of talk and fluff and claims again.

So far my 980Ti is kicking as in 1440p @1.5Ghz core & 8Ghz mem

June 16, 2015 | 07:20 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

that power usage though. clocked like that its an atomic oven.

June 16, 2015 | 10:35 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

The pcper 980 Ti review had some power numbers, but they did not include over clocked cards. Pcper seems to have the equipment to get the actual power consumption of the card rather than just the power draw at the wall. It would be nice if they could get some numbers at different clock speeds to see where these GPUs fall on the curve. The power draw will curve up rapidly at some point with increased frequency and voltage. I don't know how much work these test take though. It seems that AMD will allow more extreme overclocking than Nvidia, unless their new part is more thermally sensitive.

June 16, 2015 | 10:35 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

June 17, 2015 | 06:49 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I wish I had equipment to test it at those clocks. It's a reference model I have of the 980 Ti and running at 70% fan speed max. Temps on full load in benchmarks and games 74-77c. Overclocked with max volt that MSI AfterBurner allows and stable in all benchmark programs and all the new games so far. I haven't tried old games yet from 2010 and older.

Hope this info helps abit.

June 16, 2015 | 09:32 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

So we have to wait until the 24th to get bench marks and a full comparison? I am wondering what the max temperature of these devices actually is. Are they more sensitive to high temperatures due thermal expansion I wonder?

June 16, 2015 | 10:47 PM - Posted by Pobear (not verified)

If the dual gpu variant is about the same size as the fury x that would be awesome, i can finally build a pc that i can carry to grandmas house and play 4k.

June 17, 2015 | 12:40 AM - Posted by Hakuren

Well what can I say. Finally! AMD released something. Very interested in that dual GPU card. If the size and price (in that order) is right. Yes please.

June 17, 2015 | 02:08 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

"Other tidbits include 6-phase power with 400A (!!) power delivery for overclocking, [...]"

Saying 400A is a bit misleading. If this is at standard GPU voltage then this is probably around 400W, since the GPU voltage will be close to 1V. That is a lot for a single GPU, but it is only 25W over the standard 375W that can be supplied by the connectors. Saying 400A makes it sound big though.

June 17, 2015 | 09:24 AM - Posted by razor512

With that card, they will be very close to the limits of 2 8 pin power connectors. The GPU will either be very power hungry, or they may have done the smart thing and designed a board where the power limit will not be a bottleneck.

If you look at all of the current maxwell cards from nvidia, you will see that in the bios for the cards, the TDP limits are set well below the rated limits for the connectors. e.g., you have cards with an 8+6 pin power input, and a power limit of 180 watts. This pretty much guarantees that if you take advantage to 87mv overvolt function of their cards, you will hit the bios set TDP limit.

To properly overclock my GTX 970 without it always using a lower clock in some demanding games, I had to flash a modded bios with a higher power limit.

Overall, while the limits are simple enough to correct on the nvidia side, it still hurts the value of the nvidia cards since they are not reviewed with modded bios, thus if AMD goes with a higher power limit by default, they will have an advantage in the form of higher sustained overclocks.

June 18, 2015 | 03:56 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

If it can supply 400A at 1V, then that is 400W. 400W at 12V would require ~34A. This would require 17A from each 8-pin power connector. You would still want a very good power supply for over-clocking this card, especially if you are running an over-clocked cpu also.

June 17, 2015 | 04:33 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I think they're saying the power system can deliver up to 400A, not that it always does. AMD is claiming the full Fiji XT chip has a 275W TDP, and if they're close to accurate, then they seem to have built the cards to have a lot of potential overclocking headroom.

June 18, 2015 | 03:49 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I am not saying that it is drawing 400A all of the time. 400A is still a huge amount of power for a single gpu. All I am saying is that stating it as 400 Amps rather than 400 Watts seems to just be to make it sound larger.

June 17, 2015 | 11:30 AM - Posted by Geoff Peterson (not verified)

Do we have any more information on the the Fury? Is it simply a lower voltage/clocked Fury X with an air cooler or has it been cut down?

For those of us using a custom water loop, it would be more cost effective to buy a Fury and add a water block, than to to buy a Fury X and replace the all-in-one cooler.

June 17, 2015 | 03:32 PM - Posted by glitched (not verified)

I haven't bought an ATI card since my Rage Pro back in 99... You have peaked my interest AMD...

June 28, 2015 | 12:33 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

would this card be able to run on a 500w gold rated psu with 40amps on a 12v rail?