You shall not patch! Microsoft has blocked the new Windows 10 update.

Subject: General Tech | October 9, 2018 - 02:31 PM |
Tagged: windows 10, microsoft, oops

It's hard to find users who upgraded to the new Win10 update that enjoyed the experience; so much so that Microsoft has actually pulled it and it is no longer available to install automatically or manually.  They also warn anyone who downloaded it to hold off on installing the update for now.  If you have upgraded and are missing files, stop using the machine and give Microsoft support a ring as they should be able to recover your files; something much harder to do if you have been writing new data to the drive.  If you have a Microsoft store in your neighbourhood you can visit it for a fix as well; perhaps you will be their first actual customer!

You can see a glorious tweet and more info over at The Inquirer.

"Microsoft has taken the unprecedented step of pulling a Windows 10 release a mere four days after its arrival amid a clamour of users complaining about files not being where they had left them."

Here is some more Tech News from around the web:

Tech Talk

Source: The Register

October 9, 2018 | 02:54 PM - Posted by Brogen

Didn't have an issue, but I'm also going to add that my important files are on 1tb onedrive. It did show syncing after updating.

October 9, 2018 | 03:50 PM - Posted by Jeremy Hellstrom

When I did my home machine I got a BSoD during the install, it claimed it reverted and then booted normally.  When I got back to the desktop it congratulated me on updating to the newest Windows and the version number matches. No missing files for me, but it is obviously pretty common.

October 9, 2018 | 03:55 PM - Posted by Thretosix (not verified)

Updated about 6 PCs when the update dropped. Enjoying every second of the new update. No problems for me whatsoever. I do agree if there is a problem, this was the right choice. Just glad I didn't encounter any problems. Dark mode explorer is awesome.

October 9, 2018 | 04:59 PM - Posted by PuppyGruelFromFishHeads (not verified)

"If you have a Microsoft store in your neighbourhood you can visit it for a fix as well; perhaps you will be their first actual customer!"

And the only place you will find any AMD CPU IP in the M$ brick and mortar locations is in the XBONE because Raven Ridge APU based laptops are no where to be found. So that's a curious absence right there and at many other stores also.

But who Needs M$'s help when the smart thing to do for any Windows OS users is just do your own Syatem Image backup to an external hard dive. What would most folks do if their Hard Drive or SSD went bad and that data is pretty much history or very damn costly to recover.

This is all the result of M$'s outsourcing of its QA/QC teams and that has not worked out so well for some Windows 10 end users and even 7, 8.1 users also with so many borked updates. So I'm following Woody's Defcon numbering system with regards to any Windows Updates and waiting to let others be the BETAs that Bleed!

With M$ the end users become the BETAs and the Internal M$ QA/QC has gone to the dogs.

October 10, 2018 | 02:33 PM - Posted by anonymous12859877893 (not verified)

I would just like this two "major" updates yearly to stop. I don't even see anything "major" to them other than redownloading an entire OS for a few abstract features that personally only few would care about. Maybe it would be less ridiculous if it was just one SP style update package a year that had more effort put into it. I figure at the moment running the OS since Day 1 that I'm pushing about 200GB worth of updates yearly now with how they're doing things and I'm not really seeing the benefit whatsoever.

To make matters worse its borking things each time. A couple updates ago half my MKV thumbnails are just broken and its a hit or miss at whether it recognizes them. It was perfect prior to that "feature update" and I still haven't seen it fixed. Small problem I know, but these stack up as you'll see. Now with this update when I go to File Explorer from the Start Menu its about 50/50 whether it opens the damn thing or not. It lags and the only trick I've found that will open it when it happens is hitting the start button on the keyboard again then it pops up like normal. Small nuisances like that are really starting to piss me off.

Not to mention troubleshooting is becoming a MAJOR PAIN IN THE ASS. Google searching solutions to problems has to be separated by the damn build now and searching for help on the File Explorer issue I'm having when one of the main features in 1809 is the dark file explorer theme is making it impossible to get the results I'm looking for. I finally got used to the flat UI and all the other quirks including a guaranteed unnecessary 2 week restart now with forced updates and fixes but when feature updates start breaking things that never end up getting fixed that's where I draw the line.