Windows 10 Upgrade Prompt Changes This Week

Subject: General Tech | June 28, 2016 - 07:52 PM |
Tagged: windows 10, microsoft

Mary Jo Foley of ZDNet is reporting that the “Get Windows 10” window will be redesigned to make it easier to reject. The option will now have the button “Upgrade now” right beside two obvious link inputs, “Choose time” and “Decline free offer”. The close button will also dismiss the notification without accepting it.

Image Credit: ZDNet

Of course, this is what they should have done a year ago, and it probably doesn't matter by now. At this point, I'm not sure how many people who need this change are still fighting Get Windows 10. Most have probably been tricked into upgrading, or have already figured out the direct way to disable it. I tend to encourage companies when they do the right thing, but this just seems too late to even approach its intended effect.

Also, this change occurred a few days after Microsoft decided to not appeal a lawsuit, brought about a woman whose business, a travel agency, suffered downtime related to the OS update. Windows 10 apparently did not work well with her system, causing it to slow down and crash. She won $10,000 in damages. Personally, I know how much Windows 10 can mess up certain devices. While I run Windows 10 on my production machine, and prefer it over Windows 7, a family member's laptop would turn its display's backlight off when brightness is set to 100% (which was default when plugged in). To a general PC user, that would look like Windows 10 upped and killed the device. Worse, rolling back to Windows 8.1 wasn't a sign to stop trying to update -- it wanted to put Windows 10 right back on it!

So yeah, Microsoft is doing the right thing... after about a year.

Source: ZDNet

Video News

June 28, 2016 | 08:10 PM - Posted by goosegrease

The fact that it says "... you can go back to Windows 8 within 31 days" disturbs me. It's implying that it's a one-way upgrade. What if I decide to go back to 8 or 7 after 31 days? I need to buy another copy of Windows?

June 28, 2016 | 10:19 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

The previous W7 or W8.1 code is no longer usable. It's supplanted by the W10 code and why not?

You're given a month to decide if W10 works for you and that should be enough time for most people.

June 28, 2016 | 10:54 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

W7(Most usable), and W8.1(somewhat usable with TIFKAM disabled) are usable until their EOLs for security updates and as OSs! So stop with the supplanted by windows 10 for useability BS, the only things being supplanted by windows 10 is the users' rights to privacy, the users' rights control over their systems and updates, and the users' rights not to have ad networks baked into their OS. With windows 10 a user can agree to that EULA from hell and eternally become Universal Windows Peasant(UWP)!

Say HELL NO to those lords of Redmond and their windows 10 Serfdom!

June 28, 2016 | 09:04 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Fear of more cash judgments on M$'s forcing 10 down users throats has forced M$ to stop that update SCAM! M$ is forced to do the "right" thing, but it's too late and more cash needs to be paid out to people who suffered business losses. And what about all the wasted user bandwidth that has pushed some users over their data caps at those excessive charges.

The M$ windows 10 bot net needs to be stopped, with more cash awards to those damaged by M$'s nefarious tactics! It's time to stop the M$ land grab on people's third party PC/Laptop hardware by going to court to stop these M$ monopolistic practices! I do not buy my PC/Laptop hardware from M$ and I should not be part of their closed OS/Software ecosystem on my independently produced third party OEM PC/laptop hardware! Stop the M$ OS trust, break them up and stop the forcing forever!

June 28, 2016 | 11:47 PM - Posted by Brox

So what happens after this if I have upgraded to Win 10, went back to 8.1.

Can I still upgrade 'free' to Win10 after this deadline?

June 29, 2016 | 01:23 AM - Posted by Scott Michaud

If you were activated, then your machine should have a digital entitlement to Windows 10 for as long as it is supported.

June 29, 2016 | 12:05 AM - Posted by johnc (not verified)

Microsoft could squeeze a turd out on a warm dinner plate and users would be forced to eat it.

June 29, 2016 | 12:58 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I'm that guy who is stuck on Windows 8 because I still think WMC is the easiest DVR for Windows. And don't tell me about WMC for Windows 10, because it's still as buggy as ever.

June 29, 2016 | 02:33 AM - Posted by Jann5s

Have you tried kodi? I love it

June 29, 2016 | 06:50 AM - Posted by DaveSimonH

I currently have a couple of Windows devices, w7 PC & w8.1 "2in1". I actually didn't get any prompts from the GWX icon adware until after the debacle of "press X to consent". Since then it has prompted every time I've rebooted the tablet.

Plans for the 2 devices, the PC will be upgraded to w10 this month. I backed up all the data on my SSD the other day, just need to download latest ISO. I'm currently in the middle of a ME2 playthrough, so once thats done I'll do it.I mentioned the current game I'm playing as if it wasn't primarily a gaming PC, I'd probably stick with w7. Basically DX12 is the reason why I'm even bothering.
The tablet will be staying on w8.1 though. It has a Bluetooth keyboard, and apparently some have had issues with its Bluetooth drivers once they upgraded. So to save myself the hassle of testing and probably reverting to w8.1 I'll just leave it as is.

I'd like to try and convince my retired father to either upgrade to w10, or at the very least do a refresh of his "bootup takes 5 minutes" w8 Samsung laptop. But he's stubborn, best I've been able to do is lend him one of my old 1TB USB drives to backup his data. It will likely take the machine refusing to boot before he lets me at it.

June 29, 2016 | 07:13 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Why not just buy him an SSD and do a clean install of 7 or 8.1 so it will boot in 20sec or less. Someone who tries to convince me to install W10 is not my friend.

June 29, 2016 | 11:41 AM - Posted by Mark Granger (not verified)

Just one more month before everyone starts complaining that they can no longer install Windows 10 for free.

June 30, 2016 | 03:56 AM - Posted by Baldrick's Trousers (not verified)

This last month may be telling.

Either there will be a flood of people upgrading to get their "free" copy before the deadline expires ...

... or the deadline will expire with the uptake still below Microsoft's target and they will be forced to find some way to extend or re-introduce the free scheme.