Windows 10 December 2014 Failed Update Workaround

Subject: General Tech | December 6, 2014 - 04:30 AM |
Tagged: windows 10, windows, patch, microsoft

A few days ago, I attempted to install my Windows updates, but one failed. After complaining about the update not being accepted, it would ask you to restart your computer, where it would proudly proclaim that you have an update pending... ad infinitum. It apparently did the same for many others, including Paul Thurrott (who voiced his concerns on Twitter).

Some day (of silence) later, and a workaround has been voiced. As far as I can tell, it was originally discovered by a member of the community, but an Engineering General Manager at Microsoft suggested that Paul Thurrott try it, even though the GM's official workaround was slightly different.

Long story short, here are the steps:

1. Go to Add or Remove Programs.
  2. Go to View installed updates.
  3. Search for KB3019269 and uninstall it. Do not restart.
  4. Search for KB3018943 and uninstall it. Do not restart.
  5. Search for KB3016725 and uninstall it. Do not restart.
  6. Search for KB3016656 and uninstall it. Restart your computer.
  7. Run Windows Update and install whatever it tells you to.
  8. I needed to do Step 7 twice.
  9. Reboot a second time.

When I did this procedure, Windows Update complained about a failed update. Retrying it, without rebooting, was successful however. If you experienced this problem, be prepared for a potential false error – the fix might have still been successful.

This was actually the second update to fail in the exact same way, the first being a Windows Defender patch from the initial Technical Preview release. That time, the problem went away when Microsoft released a new build and I updated to it. The same probably would be true when Microsoft replaces Build 9879 with whatever they have upcoming, albeit that is at least a month away. As far as I can tell, not a whole lot has changed.

Again, this is pre-release software. I will not knock Microsoft for it, especially since the update procedure is one of the key points of focus for the entire Technical Preview. The occasional failure is to be somewhat expected.

Source: WinSupersite

December 6, 2014 | 04:34 AM - Posted by lantian (not verified)

good thing i had updates disabled until couple of days ago,and the updates went went well

December 6, 2014 | 07:50 AM - Posted by JohnGR

This is a different case than the one with Avast?

December 7, 2014 | 12:41 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Finally, someone with some sense regarding Microsoft articles. Was getting sick of Jeremy Hellstorm's angst.

December 7, 2014 | 12:42 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Hellstrom, I meant.

December 7, 2014 | 06:28 AM - Posted by Plesuvius (not verified)

Could someone to a SBX of windows 10 on their intel chipset 4coresandystyle pc
with latencymon in windows 8.1 and latencymon in windows 10
we'll only do the interrupts on one core I am guessing, it will be somewhat interesting if someone is already trying windows 10 and 8.1 and trying something like pcmark7 or gaming
you just need latencymon, run it do your task(s) and paste in the report for each OS - give it a good 5-15 MIN
I would do it myself but ... well, I don't want to plug the hard drive inagain

December 8, 2014 | 10:27 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Might be offtopic....

But has anyone else noticed that pcper has blocked all IE8 requests NOW since last week ???

December 8, 2014 | 10:33 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

403 Forbidden

nginx

December 9, 2014 | 09:06 AM - Posted by Steve Schardein

Can you also just do the usual procedure of booting to a boot disk, navigating to C:\Windows\WinSxS and deleting pending.xml?

January 31, 2015 | 11:22 PM - Posted by Andrew Teviotdale (not verified)

64x PC AMD
I have been unable to update anything at all and worst of all I CANNOT UNINSTALL the suspected culprit the last update that worked - KB3018943. Tried all the "fixes" even Microsoft interactive help. Go back to Windows 8 was the helpful result. The computer is in such a mess - it runs a quad core at the speed of a half core, I don't think it will ever be right - delete partition and install windows 8 from my only discs - but is the key valid now as it was overwritten by the free 5.1 upgrade ? HELP

January 31, 2015 | 11:24 PM - Posted by Andrew Teviotdale (not verified)

Sorry typo error "8.1 upgrade" - see above.