Windows 10 Build 10041 Released to Insiders

Subject: General Tech | March 18, 2015 - 05:35 PM |
Tagged: windows 10, microsoft, build 10041

It has been a long time coming, but the new preview build of Windows 10 has been released. 10041 can be installed for users on the “Fast” ring, leaving users who opt into “Slow” to be on 9926 for a bit longer. You know, the wise enthusiast learns from their mistakes, but the smart enthusiast learns from the mistakes of others. At any rate, pun intended, a few things have changed in this build, but I expect that most of it is under the hood.

On the user-facing side though, the Start menu has been modified to include transparency and Virtual Desktops can now support dragging windows between instances (or onto the + to create a new Virtual Desktop with that window in it). Each update, I have attempted to use Virtual Desktops but I have never stuck with it. Rather than being organized, it felt separated, which gave the impression that I was wasting more time context-switching than if I just sifted through cluttered windows. As always, I will give it another chance with 10041. Perhaps I am just using it wrong. We'll see.

There are some known bugs in this version, like always, so read up on it before making the update if your machine is important. I mean, even 9926 has some noticeable problems that are getting annoying, so you might even be net-positive, but look before you leap. That is, unless you are on an unimportant device or are amused by bugs and you want the newest nowest yesterday.

Speaking of which, as previously discussed, Microsoft intends to speed up the rate of “Fast” builds. Their users seem to want less-stable and more cutting edge builds, so they are hoping to have one or two builds per month.

Also, don't let my posts discourage anyone from trying Windows 10. Just because I need to report on all the issues that I experience (even some that ended up being coincidentally exploded hardware, whoops...) doesn't mean that I am casting shame on it. Ultimately, whatever you install Windows on is a device. If that device performs a critical function in your life, then you need to be aware of the issues that I know about. If not, then enjoy the pre-release experience.

I will probably be installing 10041 soon, especially if it brings new Intel and NVIDIA GPU drivers.

Update (March 19th @ 4PM EDT): I installed 10041 last night, and was greeted with two new graphics drivers: one for Intel and another for NVIDIA. Still to early to tell whether it fixed issues or made things worse, but nothing bad happened yet. I am hearing that some people are having difficulty installing audio drivers, though. Allyn linked me to a problem with Xonar cards, and people in the comments of this article mention "audio drivers" in general. About that, all I can say is that my Blue Yeti works fine, as both a mic and sound card.

Source: Microsoft

March 18, 2015 | 07:35 PM - Posted by darknas-36

Well at the moment I am typing this comment I am at 91% complete of download for the new build and I am definitely looking forward to see how much more Windows 10 has improved with the new build. I've been testing Windows 10 9926 as my main system for awhile and I gotta say it has won me over from Windows 8.1 and Windows 7.

March 19, 2015 | 08:49 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

So far, so good. I do hope they bring back all transparency though, not just for the start menu. I really hate the "basic" aesthetic. Does anyone know how to turn off Bing searches in the Start Menu? For the life of me I cant find the setting to turn it off! Bing wants to show me 15 things it found online before it shows me the Control Panel...

March 19, 2015 | 10:54 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Having your private computer searches shunted over the internet to be Binged about is the mother of all deal killers! My private personal information/file searches are for my eyes only, and my PC/Laptop hardware is not going to become a de facto node on M$'s cloud, ripe for the picking of juicy personal metrics! M$ can forget any sane individuals going for the very risky proposition of trusting M$, and its Swiss Cheese software and cloud with any sniffing around areas where M$ does not have any business in the first place, I will not become a part of the Bing collective!

March 19, 2015 | 11:59 AM - Posted by Grov (not verified)

It gives the ability to install NVidia driver V349.90

March 19, 2015 | 01:50 PM - Posted by DaveSimonH

Installed the build last night, seems to block audio drivers from installing. A pretty common issue from what I've read. So, no sound for now...

March 22, 2015 | 09:56 PM - Posted by Mr Timothy S Wright (not verified)

I am running 10041 and have realtek HD Audio. my last win10 build was not a problem, this one (10041) just does not care to recognize my audio. so far I have had to install it twice had 0 problems with 9926 (or 9928). however if this turns out to be my biggest setback with the build.... then I have led a charmed life! lol