Well This Could Be a Colossal Failure, But... I'm Jamming

Subject: General Tech | November 21, 2014 - 01:53 PM |
Tagged: unreal engine 4, game jam

Update 3: Day 3 is live. Clearly not going to be done before the Game Jam, but it sounds like this should be a regular thing that I do.

Update 2: Day 1 is starting just after 2 PM EST (~10-15 minutes from now). Stream is up. Link in first update.

Update: Live in less than five! Join me at Twitch.tv/ScottMichaud

It is all for fun, right?

Last week, the official Unreal Engine Twitter account tweeted about an online game jam being held, which starts this Friday (November 21st) at midnight and ends just 72 hours later. In that time, participants will attempt to create a full video game. All art, music, code, and so forth must be created in that short window. Existing engines, libraries, and utilties are allowed though, and they are actively encouraged with several license of Unreal Engine 4, Unity Pro, Clickteam Fusion, and GameMaker: Studio being provided to contestants. There are no prizes, except that the top ten, highest-voted entries will be featured in a PewDiePie YouTube video. He is the host of this game jam.

The theme of this game jam is, “Fun to play and fun to watch”. Funny is a bonus.

Oh why not? I have an idea for a quick-ish Unreal Engine 4-based game. While expectations should be kept low, I will enter the jam and I intend to stream the whole development process live on Twitch. Whether or not I am successful, I hope that it will be fun and entertaining for everyone involved. Drop in! Talk in the chat room! Say your opinion! Give suggestions! Embrace exclamation points!

I am not, by any metric, a professional game developer, but it should be a good weekend!

Barring technical issues, the stream will start at around 11:55 PM on Thursday, November 20th, 2014. I will probably work for a few hours that night outlining the concepts and creating assets. I hope you will attend! (Details will be available before the event both here and on Twitter).

November 18, 2014 | 07:22 PM - Posted by Glerikud (not verified)

I wonder why they aren't encouraging Construct 2.

November 19, 2014 | 04:38 AM - Posted by Master Chen (not verified)

Pewdiepie, seriously? That's gotta be one of the most hilariously unappealing factors that might turn people off from this, I've ever heard of. This is an outright laughable kind of a "advertisement offer".

November 19, 2014 | 10:25 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Moar hitz!1

November 19, 2014 | 11:12 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

im with you.

November 19, 2014 | 12:21 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Scott, I wouldn't know where to start to do something like this, so I hope you take a moment to explain to us exactly what you're doing and how you're planning this out during your live stream.

November 19, 2014 | 06:16 PM - Posted by Scott Michaud

Yup! I will explain my plan, my goals, my not-goals, and how to start as soon as the contest opens for me (which should be when the clock strikes midnight).

November 20, 2014 | 01:47 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Awesome. Thanks Scott. I look forward to seeing something entirely new to me being demonstrated.

November 20, 2014 | 03:11 AM - Posted by Scott Michaud