Satya is my copilot; Intel purchases Mobileye

Subject: General Tech | March 13, 2017 - 02:35 PM |
Tagged: Intel, mobileye, self driving car, billions

BMW's self driving car division asked Intel and Mobileye to partner together to design the iNext spin off of BMW's electric car division.  Mobileye specializes in sensors and software for autonomous or assisted driving, Tesla used their products in the Model S.  Their success has not gone unnoticed and today they are Intel's latest acquisition in the IoT market, purchased for a total of roughly $15.3 billion, US. Expect to see more Intel Inside stickers on cars, as they have recently purchased another IoT firm specializing in chip security as well as one focused on computer vision.  Pop by The Inquirer for links to those other purchases.

"On Monday, Intel announced that it has purchased the company for £12.5bn, marking the biggest-ever acquisition of an Israeli tech company. It's also the biggest purchase of a company solely focused on the autonomous driving sector."

Here is some more Tech News from around the web:

Tech Talk

Source: The Inquirer

March 13, 2017 | 03:06 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

If it's Intel and Auto-MOBILE will Intel be offering any Contra Revenue style rebates on any electric NON-Tesla cars?
And Intel has not been so sucessful in the Mobile Market so what about the Auto-MOBILE market. Nvidia definitely has a GPU advantage in its SKUs that target the Auto market and I'd love to see AMD's take on making somthing work in that market also with maybe K12/Vega or even Zen/Vega based systems. Then again Tesla hired Jim Keller so maybe Tesla will have some in house CPU/SOC product in mind.

It's going to be intresting once AMD gets enough revenues to maybe think about some new markets and AMD's semi-custom group can work something up for the Auto market that's very like the embedded SOC/CPU market!

March 14, 2017 | 02:15 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I don't get the title, "Satya is my copilot". Who is Satya? I googled and I don't see any Satya involved in this deal. Are you confusing Intel and Microsoft?

March 14, 2017 | 12:04 PM - Posted by Jeremy Hellstrom

My first thought on reading this was a future of Windows powered cars.

March 14, 2017 | 05:30 PM - Posted by Jabbadap (not verified)

Windows? Intel uses linux based Tizen on its IVI projects.

March 14, 2017 | 05:37 PM - Posted by Jeremy Hellstrom

I said pictured ... not reality, but a BSoD on a highway which results in the phrase being literal.