Satya Nadella spotted heading into the woods with a shovel and dufflebag
Subject: General Tech | January 18, 2019 - 01:12 PM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: microsoft, windows phone, ios, Android, cortana, Alexa
It has been an interesting week to be Microsoft, as they have had to suggest to their user base that they might be better off moving to a competitor's product. Sebastian has already informed you about the fact that Cortana and Windows Search are going through a somewhat amicable divorce, but today we find Satya Nadella suggesting that Cortana will become an optional skill which you can choose for Alexa or Google Assistant; if you don't see any better perks for that level. Apparently they will also "be again completely consumer businesses" by offering consumers the same licensing scheme as they forced upon enterprise businesses, of which many have expressed strong feelings about since it was introduced.
What must really burn is their admit that Windows 10 Mobile is indeed as dead as the proverbial parrot, which has forced them to suggest that current users move to a different device as Microsoft will no longer even offer token support for that OS after the end of the year. People paying attention to this may remember that the last major update to the OS was pushed in 2017.
"Microsoft's guidance for customers is to "move to a supported Android or iOS device" and use the range of Microsoft applications on one of those platforms instead."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Pixelbook and 'Nami' Chromebooks the First To Get Linux GPU Acceleration in Project Crostini @ Slashdot
- DIY Clapper is 1980s Style With Raspberry Pi Twist @ Hackaday
- iPad Mini 5, new entry-level iPad set to arrive in early 2019 @ The Inquirer
- Google Play Malware Used Phones' Motion Sensors To Conceal Itself @ Slashdot
- Apexdesk Elite ZT Series Electric Standing Desk & Anti-Fatigue Mat @ TechPowerUp
- Twitter. Android. Private tweets. Pick two... Account bug unlocked padlocked accounts @ The Register